Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

please continue
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

The brand-new Canadian Premier League just started up last weekend, so that's a thing.

Seven teams across Canada. Pacific FC (Vancouver Island), Valour FC (Winnipeg), Cavalry FC (Calgary), FC Edmonton (duh), York9 FC (York in suburban Ontario), Forge FC (Hamilton), and HFX Wanderers FC (Halifax).

First game went down as a 1-1 draw between York9 and Forge, second saw Pacific edge HFX 1-0. Watching Valour/Pacific now (Pacific up 1-0 at the half), the quality of play is surprisingly decent.
    https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

the liverpool article in espn was interesting to read. collection of known stories et.al, but decently penned. no mention of the owners being the red sox however. seems like an easy throw in for a major us sportsnews entity.

mookie loves salah.
      but hopes the mappies get another win
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
        The brand-new Canadian Premier League just started up last weekend, so that's a thing.

Seven teams across Canada. Pacific FC (Vancouver Island), Valour FC (Winnipeg), Cavalry FC (Calgary), FC Edmonton (duh), York9 FC (York in suburban Ontario), Forge FC (Hamilton), and HFX Wanderers FC (Halifax).

First game went down as a 1-1 draw between York9 and Forge, second saw Pacific edge HFX 1-0. Watching Valour/Pacific now (Pacific up 1-0 at the half), the quality of play is surprisingly decent.
        It’s not a terrible idea, the league is meant to be a place where non-MLS Canadians can play. The question will be whether they can sustain themselves long term, something that is always difficult.

The two big things that may hurt them are the fact the CSA and the league doesn’t want the MLS teams putting their Reserve Teams in the CPL, meaning the league is now essentially shut out of the three largest markets in Canada. The other factor is their salary cap is really low, a fact that caused Ottawa to bag off being the eighth team and stay in the USL (with a bunch of Canadian players).
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          It’s not a terrible idea, the league is meant to be a place where non-MLS Canadians can play. The question will be whether they can sustain themselves long term, something that is always difficult.

The two big things that may hurt them are the fact the CSA and the league doesn’t want the MLS teams putting their Reserve Teams in the CPL, meaning the league is now essentially shut out of the three largest markets in Canada. The other factor is their salary cap is really low, a fact that caused Ottawa to bag off being the eighth team and stay in the USL (with a bunch of Canadian players).
          i was wondering why they went with 7. Doesn't it seem to make sense to avoid reserve teams since they're categorized as Tier 1 in Canada? It seems like the salary cap must be extraordinarily low since USL isn't exactly spending a ton?
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            i was wondering why they went with 7. Doesn't it seem to make sense to avoid reserve teams since they're categorized as Tier 1 in Canada? It seems like the salary cap must be extraordinarily low since USL isn't exactly spending a ton?
            Yeah, FC Edmonton and Ottawa were to be the two existing teams to help found the league but Ottawa saw the cap level and balked as most of their players would’ve had to take pay cuts to play.

For the reserve teams I do understand the logic as they do want to keep it separate from MLS. But, like I said, they’ve also shut themselves out of the three biggest markets, long term I wonder how that’ll work.
            I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Yeah, FC Edmonton and Ottawa were to be the two existing teams to help found the league but Ottawa saw the cap level and balked as most of their players would’ve had to take pay cuts to play.

For the reserve teams I do understand the logic as they do want to keep it separate from MLS. But, like I said, they’ve also shut themselves out of the three biggest markets, long term I wonder how that’ll work.
              My guess is they build a good little league and wait for MLS to implode.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                My guess is they build a good little league and wait for MLS to implode.
                Nice trolling.
                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Nice trolling.
                  Not my intention. Not saying it's inevitable or desirable. But a competing league who is locked out of the big markets has to have it in their mind that MLS may overexpand and flame out, again.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It's Canada. No one really cares about them.
                    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Not my intention. Not saying it's inevitable or desirable. But a competing league who is locked out of the big markets has to have it in their mind that MLS may overexpand and flame out, again.
                      That’s not their intention at all. Beyond the ludicrous speculation of MLS “overexpanding” and flaming out, the CPL was created as a player development league for Canada. Essentially a place for Canadian players to play that wasn’t the USL or “random European second or third division team”. They’ve kept out of the MLS markets because there are teams there already that they can’t compete with financially.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                        It's Canada. No one really cares about them.
                        This is soccer. Nobody cares about us, either.
                        Cornell University

Comment

That’s not their intention at all. Beyond the ludicrous speculation of MLS “overexpanding” and flaming out, the CPL was created as a player development league for Canada. Essentially a place for Canadian players to play that wasn’t the USL or “random European second or third division team”. They’ve kept out of the MLS markets because there are teams there already that they can’t compete with financially.
                          But you should be able to compete by not being as expensive right? Not to mention the biggest value of CPL is developing Canadians since Canadians count against MLS roster limits for US teams because US labor laws do not allow companies to distinguish between non-americans if they set limits?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            But you should be able to compete by not being as expensive right? Not to mention the biggest value of CPL is developing Canadians since Canadians count against MLS roster limits for US teams because US labor laws do not allow companies to distinguish between non-americans if they set limits?
                            Yeah, being cheap is a way to keep competitive and development is the primary goal. It’s just, long term, it could be a problem as it could cause the investment to run off, ala the AAF, if there’s no real room for growth.

The one thing with new sports leagues like this is always the question of “ok, what about next year? Is there enough to go again?” MLS has finally gotten past that point recently and even that took ~15-20 years.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

While were distracted by Canadians, the Women’s World Cup roster was released.

All hail the team that will win again!

(Or lose in the quarterfinals)
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                              X