Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    And Amazon is planning to raise its minimum wage to $15.
    They know the inevitable is coming. Might as well get out in front of it, to look good.

Comment

We did the same thing last year. This year we're laying off 10% of our workforce. Hmm...
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
          I also heard they are increasing automation.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Welp, that's bound to happen anyway.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Yeah. Companies also started using Microsoft Office.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Amazon's hourly wage increase comes with other compensation offsets, namely its monthly performance bonuses.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/03/de...ill-make-less/
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I guess I can't say for sure what the net effect is but the workers who were on food stamps (which was a significant percentage of their workforce) are certainly doing better which was the entire point of the bill Bernie and Ro Khana proposed. Obviously Bezos isn't some benevolent actor whose intentions are pure and it's not surprising that he cut other compensation behind the scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                    I guess I can't say for sure what the net effect is but the workers who were on food stamps (which was a significant percentage of their workforce) are certainly doing better which was the entire point of the bill Bernie and Ro Khana proposed. Obviously Bezos isn't some benevolent actor whose intentions are pure and it's not surprising that he cut other compensation behind the scenes.
                    It sounds like for the lowest paid it's a plus, but if you were already making $15 they are giving you a $1 raise, which may leave you slightly worse off after other cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                      It sounds like for the lowest paid it's a plus, but if you were already making $15 they are giving you a $1 raise, which may leave you slightly worse off after other cuts.
                      Right, I don't deny that. Amazon is a pretty terrible place to work from everything I've heard and so their cutting of benefits doesn't shock me.

Comment

What a fcking idiot:

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          What a fcking idiot:

You or Kepler said it, he’s trump with a STEM degree
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            You or Kepler said it, he’s trump with a STEM degree
                            Guess I missed the part where Musk made fun of handicapped people, considered over half the US to be the enemy of the...well...the US, and was nearly traitorous in conspiring with the country's biggest threat - Russia.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Similes are hard!
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                                Guess I missed the part where Musk made fun of handicapped people, considered over half the US to be the enemy of the...well...the US, and was nearly traitorous in conspiring with the country's biggest threat - Russia.
                                Give it time.

Comment

Working...
                                X