Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

B1G ticket loss.

GopherPuckLive has tracked season ticket scanning data since the move to the Big Ten with recaps in 2015, 2016, and 2017. The data shows the number of tickets distributed nears the capacity of 10,000 for most games, however actual attendance recently has been around 70 percent. Season ticket sales have declined since that first year in the Big Ten with 6,732 in 2015-16, 5,977 in 2016-17, and now 5,474 in 2017-18.

“The biggest thing that people are just not excited about right now, and it’s not a surprise to us, they’re not as excited about Big Ten Hockey as they were the WCHA,” said Senior Associate Athletics Director Tom McGinnis back in April. “They really enjoyed seeing some of those rivalries that had developed over the years with some of the WCHA opponents.

Season ticket holders told department officials they have wanted to see their Gophers play on Friday and Saturday nights, and continue seeing opponents they were familiar with from the WCHA.” - Eric Vegoe

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
      B1G ticket loss.
      They don't care. It's all about making sure their football and basketball teams continue to bring in the revenue.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
        They don't care. It's all about making sure their football and basketball teams continue to bring in the revenue.
        While I agree that football, and to a lesser extent bouncy ball, are counted on to bring in most of the revenue, hockey has traditionally been a positive revenue producing sport, and that Gopher Athletics will very much want to make sure that Gopher men's hockey remains a positive revenue-producing sport.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          While I agree that football, and to a lesser extent bouncy ball, are counted on to bring in most of the revenue, hockey has traditionally been a positive revenue producing sport, and that Gopher Athletics will very much want to make sure that Gopher men's hockey remains a positive revenue-producing sport.
          IIRC, this only happens at MN, which is why they didn't want the B1G
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

It wasn't just a revenue generator. It was a profit cow. Now, with the ticket mess and the huge travel costs, not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              I totally agree. NCAA D1 hockey is still a niche sport compared to football and basketball. Dissent over the move to the B1G has slowed the revenue stream as well.

Having said that, and although it is the third largest revenue generating sport at the U, the Gophers have routinely led the nation in generating revenue with its men’s hockey program.

Boston University topped all schools for fiscal year 2017 with $8,567,700 in revenues and the Gophers were second with $5,872,921 in revenues.

Gopher men's hockey reported an excess in funds for fiscal year 2017 of $1,377,470 and was just one of three schools with Boston University $5,128,736 and Minnesota-Duluth $1,359,672 reporting excess funds over $1,000,000.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                I totally agree. NCAA D1 hockey is still a niche sport compared to football and basketball. Dissent over the move to the B1G has slowed the revenue stream as well.

Having said that, and although it is the third largest revenue generating sport at the U, the Gophers have routinely led the nation in generating revenue with its men’s hockey program.

Boston University topped all schools for fiscal year 2017 with $8,567,700 in revenues and the Gophers were second with $5,872,921 in revenues.

Gopher men's hockey reported an excess in funds for fiscal year 2017 of $1,377,470 and was just one of three schools with Boston University $5,128,736 and Minnesota-Duluth $1,359,672 reporting excess funds over $1,000,000.
                I get that BU has much lower travel costs than the Gophers, but there's a huge attendance disparity. Where's BU making their money?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  I thought a new coach would solve everything?
                  Yes, I was led to believe that was the answer as well. Hmmmm......
                  "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I'm on the right side of the equation, but the question (as the tweet says) is whether recruits sign up for the school or coach. Although its probably both, more importantly it depends on the kid. So if a kid changes his commit after a coaching change, then odds are quite likely that it was for the coach more so - and 'poaching' is the kid following the guy he wants to play for.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      IIRC, this only happens at MN, which is why they didn't want the B1G
                      ...with regards to B1G teams. SCSU's men's hockey has been turning a profit for a while now. I'm pretty sure the Hostile & Abusive Hawks turn a profit on their hockey team, too.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                        I get that BU has much lower travel costs than the Gophers, but there's a huge attendance disparity. Where's BU making their money?
                        The Terriers are a private institution and are not subject to open records requests, but they are required to submit revenue and expense data to the Department of Education for Equity in Athletics Data Analysis. The Hockey East program indicated they received $4,446,629 for revenues in fiscal year 2016 which was fourth in men’s college hockey. The school has boosted their fundraising efforts recently and have celebrated back-to-back record fundraising totals, which may be the main reason for the increased revenue reported. - Eric Vegoe
                        They must have hired a marketing genius. 4.1M is one heck of a fundraising effort!

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        ...with regards to B1G teams. SCSU's men's hockey has been turning a profit for a while now. I'm pretty sure the Hostile & Abusive Hawks turn a profit on their hockey team, too.
                        For FY2017, North Dakota $5,245,254 in revenue and $4,436,452 in expenses, and St. Cloud State $2,744,430 in revenue and $2,127,944 in expenses.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                          They must have hired a marketing genius. 4.1M is one heck of a fundraising effort!

For FY2017, North Dakota $5,245,254 in revenue and $4,436,452 in expenses, and St. Cloud State $2,744,430 in revenue and $2,127,944 in expenses.
                          BU probably has some very rich alumni that are liking what they're doing with the team full of first and second rounders.

Comment

I believe the large surplus for BU is that rentals of the arena are included
                            Really done a good job in this area and filling the need for venue over 2000 and under 10000 seats

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                              BU probably has some very rich alumni that are liking what they're doing with the team full of first and second rounders.
                              And what exactly has been the end result of all draft picks playing at BU? (I know you avoid this question on GPL, maybe you'll answer it here)
                              "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                                And what exactly has been the end result of all draft picks playing at BU?
                                An outsider looking in (me) would fairly conclude that the coaches are better at recruiting than they are at coaching.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X