The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
    Will AIC be the Holy Cross of this year's tournament?
    Or, RIT?

Comment

• Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Or, RIT?
      Holy Cross wasn't a #16 seed, after all.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Looking forward to this.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Need to get the Illini team installed asap, as otherwise Bentley will be entrenched in the cellar for the forseeable furure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            Need to get the Illini team installed asap, as otherwise Bentley will be entrenched in the cellar for the forseeable furure.
            Them there's fighting words!!
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              Bentley has a hockey team?
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                Looking forward to this.
                Looked back at his post from 2011, UMD was ranked #20 at that time. It's been an exciting 9 years to be a Bulldog fan.
                "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                  Holy Cross wasn't a #16 seed, after all.

Powers &8^]
                  If I remember correctly, neither was RIT in 2010. UAH snuck into that tournament from last place in the CHA, making RIT the # 15. That was one of DU's gripes that the bracket didn't protect the # 1 seed.
                  Can't we all just get along?
                  Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                    If I remember correctly, neither was RIT in 2010. UAH snuck into that tournament from last place in the CHA, making RIT the # 15. That was one of DU's gripes that the bracket didn't protect the # 1 seed.
                    DU's problem was that once it was determined that you fly, you can be placed anywhere. That gave the committee a reason to put more of the #1 seeds closer to home. Not to mention, Denver was the #2 seed. Miami was #1. By closest regional, Denver could have been placed in the St. Paul region. That would have put Wisconsin as the #1 in Albany. If you take the brackets that were set up, Denver-Cornell-UNH-RIT makes more sense for attendance in Albany and Wisconsin-St. Cloud-Northern Michigan-Vermont made more sense in St. Paul.
                    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2010 Frozen Four participant
                    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                      BTW - I volunteer for Atlantic Hockey
                      Originally posted by drshoen View Post
                      I will volunteer for the ECAC write-ups
                      Thank you to the volunteers thus far. It makes this process significantly easier.

So far, I have:

Atlantic Hockey: komey1
                      ECAC: drshoen
                      NCHC: SiouxfaninSeattle

If anyone is interested in doing the writeups for Hockey East, Big Ten, and/or WCHA, please let me know. I'll take care of the Independents .

Below is a sample of how the countdown will go this year, and the type of writeup that I am looking for (without the specific points/rankings/etc. that I will put in):

#96 - Minot State University Beavers
                      Points in 2088-2089: 0.5812 (Rank: 61)
                      Points in the 2080s: 12.0861 (Rank: 32)
                      NCAA Achievements in the Decade: 2084 NCAA Northwest Regional Semifinalist; 2085 NCAA Semifinalist
                      Conference Achievements in the Decade: NIHC Conference Regular Season Champions: 2084, 2085; NIHC Conference Tournament Champions: 2085

Minot State had its best decade in the Division 1 era, making its first ever trip to the Frozen Four in 2085, and winning back-to-back NIHC Regular Season titles for the first time in program history. The Beavers struggled in the early years of the 2080s, going a combined 47-80-8 in the first three seasons, which led to the dismissal of head boss Barry Bradford following the 2081-2082 campaign. MSU turned to native son Mark Morelli, a former Beaver blueliner, to helm the program, and Morelli did not disappoint. The Beavers began to turn things around in the 2082-2083 season, winning 20 games for just the program's fifth time. In 2083-2084, Beaver Tech lifted the NIHC Regular Season Championship for just the third time. The Beavers won their First Round game over Minnesota, but fell to #1 seed, and host, Oregon in the Northwest Regional Semifinal. The 2084-2085 season was the highlight of the decade for MSU. Morelli's squad captured both the NIHC Conference Regular Season and Tournament Championships, and were the #1 seed in the Northwest Regional. Minot State knocked off Lindenwood in the First Round, before taking down Cornell in the Semifinals to set up an epic showdown in the Northwest Regional Final against #2 seed and defending National Champion Michigan Tech. After spotting the Huskies an early goal, the Beavers scored three in a row in the middle stanza, and held on for a 3-1 win to earn the program's first Frozen Four trip. Unfortunately for Minot State, eastern powerhouse, and #1 overall seed, Bentley awaited the Beavers, and a sterling display in net by Hobey Baker winner Aaron Pelino catapulted the Falcons past MSU. Minot State was up and down the rest of the decade. The Beavers finished in the top 3 of the NIHC in both 2086 and 2088, but failed to make the NCAA Tournament. The 2090s do look promising though, as the freshman class on last year's squad led the team in goals, and MSU lost only 3 seniors from the 2088-2089 team. All-American netminder John David Wilson, who returns for his junior season, may be the key to Minot State's success early on in the next decade, as the Beavers look to keep rising in these rankings.
                      North Dakota
                      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Is there a choke factor component to your ranking?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                          Thank you to the volunteers thus far. It makes this process significantly easier.

So far, I have:

Atlantic Hockey: komey1
                          ECAC: drshoen
                          NCHC: SiouxfaninSeattle

If anyone is interested in doing the writeups for Hockey East, Big Ten, and/or WCHA, please let me know. I'll take care of the Independents .

Below is a sample of how the countdown will go this year, and the type of writeup that I am looking for (without the specific points/rankings/etc. that I will put in):

#96 - Minot State University Beavers
                          Points in 2088-2089: 0.5812 (Rank: 61)
                          Points in the 2080s: 12.0861 (Rank: 32)
                          NCAA Achievements in the Decade: 2084 NCAA Northwest Regional Semifinalist; 2085 NCAA Semifinalist
                          Conference Achievements in the Decade: NIHC Conference Regular Season Champions: 2084, 2085; NIHC Conference Tournament Champions: 2085

Minot State had its best decade in the Division 1 era, making its first ever trip to the Frozen Four in 2085, and winning back-to-back NIHC Regular Season titles for the first time in program history. The Beavers struggled in the early years of the 2080s, going a combined 47-80-8 in the first three seasons, which led to the dismissal of head boss Barry Bradford following the 2081-2082 campaign. MSU turned to native son Mark Morelli, a former Beaver blueliner, to helm the program, and Morelli did not disappoint. The Beavers began to turn things around in the 2082-2083 season, winning 20 games for just the program's fifth time. In 2083-2084, Beaver Tech lifted the NIHC Regular Season Championship for just the third time. The Beavers won their First Round game over Minnesota, but fell to #1 seed, and host, Oregon in the Northwest Regional Semifinal. The 2084-2085 season was the highlight of the decade for MSU. Morelli's squad captured both the NIHC Conference Regular Season and Tournament Championships, and were the #1 seed in the Northwest Regional. Minot State knocked off Lindenwood in the First Round, before taking down Cornell in the Semifinals to set up an epic showdown in the Northwest Regional Final against #2 seed and defending National Champion Michigan Tech. After spotting the Huskies an early goal, the Beavers scored three in a row in the middle stanza, and held on for a 3-1 win to earn the program's first Frozen Four trip. Unfortunately for Minot State, eastern powerhouse, and #1 overall seed, Bentley awaited the Beavers, and a sterling display in net by Hobey Baker winner Aaron Pelino catapulted the Falcons past MSU. Minot State was up and down the rest of the decade. The Beavers finished in the top 3 of the NIHC in both 2086 and 2088, but failed to make the NCAA Tournament. The 2090s do look promising though, as the freshman class on last year's squad led the team in goals, and MSU lost only 3 seniors from the 2088-2089 team. All-American netminder John David Wilson, who returns for his junior season, may be the key to Minot State's success early on in the next decade, as the Beavers look to keep rising in these rankings.
                          Just curious, where does "powerhouse" Bentley rank in 2089? :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Is there a choke factor component to your ranking?
                            Not specifically, but I suppose it does factor into the rankings. For example, if the Gophers hadnt choked away the 80s and 90s they might be ranked a bit higher.
                            North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Just curious, where does "powerhouse" Bentley rank in 2089? :-)
                              Let me look into the crystal ball...

34th overall. But they were in the top 5 in the 2070s and 2080s.
                              North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                                Not specifically, but I suppose it does factor into the rankings. For example, if the Gophers hadnt choked away the 80s and 90s they might be ranked a bit higher.
                                how about 1968 to 1978 a better time for all.
                                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                                Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Working...
                                X