Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
    Dan,
    What makes you believe that Griffin will produce 10-15 goals as soon as his sophomore year? He managed to produce just 8 goals in each of the past two seasons in the NCDC. You may very well be prescient, but I’m curious to know your reasoning. If NU felt the same way, I doubt they would ask him to wait another year.
    For one thing, I’ve never believed that development is as linear as so many people want it to be. Griffin was a top prospect, but dipped a bit - each season is a small sample size and it still seems just as likely, to me, that he is still the top prospect that tore up the U16 level and was the NCDC’s top-prospect (while scoring 8 goals) as a 16/17 y/o than he is the kid who leveled off at 8 in his 17/18 year.

Gildon leveled off and UW dropped him - but he’s gotten back on track and shown a lot of ability and production at UNH. UW would love to have had him the last few years, but they bet on his stalled development instead of his initial potential...

It’s notable that NU didn’t really dropped Griffin, rather deferred him - so they may still believe in him as a player, just not yet, and didn’t want to waste a line-up spot on his development during a season in which they expect to compete.

UNH once deferred a top prospect for an underwhelming, 10-goal season in JRs, but that down season simply proved to be a bump in the road en route to a 71-goal career at Union...

Also, at UNH Griffin is likely to be playing a regular top-6 role as early as his SO season - if not sooner. It’s possible NU is right about him not filling that role on their roster and UNH correct about his ability to do so for them. UNH’s high-skill forward depth may lack but he’ll be surrounded by some very good and experienced offensive skill in the top-six, including Crookshank, Grasso, Pierson, Kelleher, Margel and Richels, etc. The opportunity will be there, along with likely PP time...

Maybe he ends up more like Charlie Kelleher - contributing 15-20 assists rather than a lot of goals. Or maybe I’m wrong altogether and he’s never that kind of player or prospect - or it may not matter much for UNH even if he is - but it’s still a better gamble for the Wildcats based entirely on where they are as a program.

For an NU team poised to compete, BVR as a grad transfer could be a significant piece. They’re recent recruiting success is well established, they can find a long term replacement for Griffin pretty easily and add an established player today. That’s a win for them.

UNH is still in long term rebuild mode - they need to accumulate long term assets. If they can grab a number of potential 10-15 goal types, enough should pan out that they might once again skate the type of offense UNH is accustomed to. Adding an offensively driven (4-year) prospect is a win for the Wildcats, even if it comes with some risk of not planning out - whatever percentage anyone would put on Griffin teaching that level of production down the road, I’d rather take that chance for UNH than even a sure thing 10 goals next season when the maximum impact is limited...

BVR (or any transfer) popping double digit goals could make a tangible difference for NU, but for UNH that may only mean bottom half of the mid-pack to the top of the middle. So, whether Griffin performs at that level or not, it’s really just about UNH needing long-term talent and not quick fixes based on where they find themselves...
    Last edited by Dan; 09-03-2019, 11:51 AM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Scott

I guess from your estimate that most people paid 50% for next year in March must be true. They sent me a note saying that I did not have to pay in March. I believe many did not pay, but you have better info than I do. The final day to pay your bill was supposed to be 9/1. Many paid in June or July. I am sure they (UNH) still have seats available. If you are continuing from last year you will pay the same as prior years. Those with new season tickets will pay more.

I believe that Hockey East is going to have tickets available for all teams that are purchased from their website. You should be able to select seats and there will be an upcharge. Other than BU, it will probably be about the same price as most of the other Hockey East teams. I cannot remember a sellout in the past few years. I am guessing that you can get tickets at the window at almost all Hockey East Venues. We were close to sellout for Maine game at the Whitt and that is probably it. BC was a morgue when we played them in Conte last year. BU was 50-60% full, Merrimack had more fans on some weekends than some of our rivals (their seating is about 2,000). Their prices are about the same as UNH at present. They all have thanksgiving ticket promotions at a lower $ amount and we are playing them early for $ 20 and probably $10-15 in December. It was easy to get tickets at Maine. You want a good seat (with seatback) at Maine you pony up $50. Most are around $20 at Maine. Vermont was mostly sold out and we bought them in advance but would have been able to buy decent seats at the day of the game. Vermont Seatbacks are $40 and bucket seats are about $20. Lowell is one of the few that give you discounts for 10 or more seats and it is half price and they are usually 75% -85% full. Providence had plenty of empty seats the last couple of years even when they were in the top 10. UConn and UMass are reasonable (Umass much more than UConn). Northeastern is $23 and we are not playing them on the road this year. We are not playing in VT this year either
      It is unlikely that our UNH ticket office is going to pay excess money for the 10-20 people who want the away game tickets at face value. They would lose money if they decided to go back to 5+ years ago when you could get tickets at face value.
      For what it is worth, Robbie Griffin is a better hockey player than anyone on this board. If we all had a subscription to the rating agencies, anyone can come up with others’ viewpoints to come up with who is worth what. It takes the fun out of it.

I am happy Watcher is on the Griffin train and hope the rest of you are by November. No more dinging Joe Hankinson please. He may be a very good player and maybe much more than a 4th liner. We had many UNH players who were a bad fit with their USHL team for their strengths and they had very good careers at UNH.

Looking to see the puck drop today in practice at the Whit. I hope to see you all at the Exhibition game on Homecoming Weekend Sunday at 1. We will have many home games in November.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

If we can only criticize hockey players if we're better than them, this thread is gonna have some real issues complaining about JvR.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
          Scott

I guess from your estimate that most people paid 50% for next year in March must be true. They sent me a note saying that I did not have to pay in March. I believe many did not pay, but you have better info than I do. The final day to pay your bill was supposed to be 9/1. Many paid in June or July. I am sure they (UNH) still have seats available. If you are continuing from last year you will pay the same as prior years. Those with new season tickets will pay more.

I believe that Hockey East is going to have tickets available for all teams that are purchased from their website. You should be able to select seats and there will be an upcharge. Other than BU, it will probably be about the same price as most of the other Hockey East teams. I cannot remember a sellout in the past few years. I am guessing that you can get tickets at the window at almost all Hockey East Venues. We were close to sellout for Maine game at the Whitt and that is probably it. BC was a morgue when we played them in Conte last year. BU was 50-60% full, Merrimack had more fans on some weekends than some of our rivals (their seating is about 2,000). Their prices are about the same as UNH at present. They all have thanksgiving ticket promotions at a lower $ amount and we are playing them early for $ 20 and probably $10-15 in December. It was easy to get tickets at Maine. You want a good seat (with seatback) at Maine you pony up $50. Most are around $20 at Maine. Vermont was mostly sold out and we bought them in advance but would have been able to buy decent seats at the day of the game. Vermont Seatbacks are $40 and bucket seats are about $20. Lowell is one of the few that give you discounts for 10 or more seats and it is half price and they are usually 75% -85% full. Providence had plenty of empty seats the last couple of years even when they were in the top 10. UConn and UMass are reasonable (Umass much more than UConn). Northeastern is $23 and we are not playing them on the road this year. We are not playing in VT this year either
          It is unlikely that our UNH ticket office is going to pay excess money for the 10-20 people who want the away game tickets at face value. They would lose money if they decided to go back to 5+ years ago when you could get tickets at face value.
          For what it is worth, Robbie Griffin is a better hockey player than anyone on this board. If we all had a subscription to the rating agencies, anyone can come up with others’ viewpoints to come up with who is worth what. It takes the fun out of it.

I am happy Watcher is on the Griffin train and hope the rest of you are by November. No more dinging Joe Hankinson please. He may be a very good player and maybe much more than a 4th liner. We had many UNH players who were a bad fit with their USHL team for their strengths and they had very good careers at UNH.

Looking to see the puck drop today in practice at the Whit. I hope to see you all at the Exhibition game on Homecoming Weekend Sunday at 1. We will have many home games in November.
          A lot to sift through here, 32. But, I will posit that there should be tickets available at the Bentley Arena on October 18th. As far as I know, the only Bentley sell out last season was when the Chestnut Hillbillies visited from 7 miles afar. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
            If we can only criticize hockey players if we're better than them, this thread is gonna have some real issues complaining about JvR.
            If that's the criteria going forward, it's going to be tough complaining about ANY of the vR's.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• It’s just too bad UNH plays in Hockey East and not the USCHO Intramural leagues...
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
                Scott

UNH 1932
                Have you heard anything about how soon Filip Engaras will be able to play. Earlier this summer someone indicated that the NCAA had required him to stay out for the first 34 games this fall, but that it had been appealed. Any thing you can add?
                Thanks

Comment

Unless I am mistaken, it was one season and the number of games he played in the pro league, which was 9 games.

Engaras (6 feet, 190 pounds), who is from Stockholm, Sweden, missed all of last year due to the suspension, which will conclude after the first nine games of the upcoming season. UNH is in the process of trying to appeal the remainder of Engaras’ suspension, Souza said.
                  So he should be good to go in late November/early December.
                  Last edited by NCAA watcher; 09-06-2019, 04:14 PM.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                    Unless I am mistaken, it was one season and the number of games he played in the pro league, which was 9 games.

So he should be good to go in late November/early December.
                    Thanks Watcher, I meant 3 or games but it sounds like 11/16, the second Maine game up there. Perhaps he can play in the exhibition.

Comment

As far as I know, this past Labor Day weekend makes five years in a row that one of our players has not been arrested and suspended for a domestic dispute. Good trend.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        As far as I know, this past Labor Day weekend makes five years in a row that one of our players has not been arrested and suspended for a domestic dispute. Good trend.
                        I like the smart qualifier there, Snively65. News can sometimes travel slowly, or via a crooked path.

Not saying that anything has happened this past weekend … but you never know sometimes.

Comment

Question for Dan since there doesn't appear to be an active Miami University thread. I intend to go to the Miami games at the start of the season and was wondering if you had any recommendations for a pregame bar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            I like the smart qualifier there, Snively65. News can sometimes travel slowly, or via a crooked path.

Not saying that anything has happened this past weekend … but you never know sometimes.
                            Despite the 2014-15 season being our last visit to the Garden, it still seems to me that Labor Day weekend that pre-season marked the beginning of the five-year downward spiral.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Despite the 2014-15 season being our last visit to the Garden, it still seems to me that Labor Day weekend that pre-season marked the beginning of the five-year downward spiral.
                              Hi everyone!!! Been lurking here enjoying the preseason banter. Hoping for an exciting year for our 'Cats!!! Hope to see a few of you regulars Oct 6!!!
                              Last edited by HockeyRef; 09-08-2019, 10:21 AM.
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                It's a compelling benchmark for what's (so far?) been the modern nadir of the UNH program, Snively65.

I think many of us (definitely me) would argue the program had been on the decline (slowly) for about a decade or so previously, and I'm certainly hopeful it's back on the rise under MS7's leadership. What happens on AND off the ice between now and next Spring will hopefully confirm that rise is a reality, and not a mirage. If you can't tell from this post - as well as from the title of this soon-to-be-closed thread - I'm certainly hoping things are changing for the better … but I'm not quite sold that it's a reality yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X