Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 8: I Got A Lot Of Problems With You People!

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I use Siri to add things to my grocery list app AnyList.

I get to the bottom of my list as I’m planning a grocery trip. At some point it had interpreted ‘ketchup’ as ‘catch-up’

Ketchup or catsup?
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

To echo others here: **** cancer. One of the people I love most dearly has a terrible kind.

Ironic I sat and saw Joe Biden Saturday as he talked about losing beau.

Comment

I’m sorry.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

* Cancer

Comment

Having fallen victim to what I call the "Millenial Trap"...

I've got a college degree, but am stuck working an hourly retail job that goes nowhere. I can't move up past a "lead" position in retail because there is always some person who was promoted to manager with K-mart or Sears 20+ years ago and I have yet to get that title. So they win by default. (Also I work for an outdoors retailer. Having a clue about the outdoors industry, field experience with products, and industry trends, history and operations has no relevance. Selling towels at K-mart trumps knowledge of the industry I need to sell).

This is coming to a front simply cause working the holidays flat out sucks. The American consumer gets needier and more entitled every year. Any complaint registered against me is held against me, no matter how wrong the customer is (recent example: Was told a promo was over and the ad was a misprint. We ended the promotion and will not honor it. Tell a customer this. Customer complains. I get in trouble for not honoring the promo despite the direct order from the next person up the food chain. Was told that I should use better judgement and just take care of the customer. Hence why we have the "Give a Mouse a Cookie" problem ).

You may ask why I don't find another job? Well, that takes time/effort that I don't really have. I work some sort of side job 10+ months of the year. I can get by with a bare bones budget from the main job, but my side gigs give me a bit of spending money and a small "Oh ****, I need money cause ________" cushion. Also, see above about applying for promotions.

It just sucks getting asked by family that you don't see often asking what you're doing with your life and having them be disappointed when I say what I actually do. I know I'm not the only person with this problem (**insert joke about an NMU degree here**). It's just the times we live in. And the leadership is doing their best to make it that much harder going forward.

/rant
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
              Having fallen victim to what I call the "Millenial Trap"...

I've got a college degree, but am stuck working an hourly retail job that goes nowhere. I can't move up past a "lead" position in retail because there is always some person who was promoted to manager with K-mart or Sears 20+ years ago and I have yet to get that title. So they win by default. (Also I work for an outdoors retailer. Having a clue about the outdoors industry, field experience with products, and industry trends, history and operations has no relevance. Selling towels at K-mart trumps knowledge of the industry I need to sell).

This is coming to a front simply cause working the holidays flat out sucks. The American consumer gets needier and more entitled every year. Any complaint registered against me is held against me, no matter how wrong the customer is (recent example: Was told a promo was over and the ad was a misprint. We ended the promotion and will not honor it. Tell a customer this. Customer complains. I get in trouble for not honoring the promo despite the direct order from the next person up the food chain. Was told that I should use better judgement and just take care of the customer. Hence why we have the "Give a Mouse a Cookie" problem ).

You may ask why I don't find another job? Well, that takes time/effort that I don't really have. I work some sort of side job 10+ months of the year. I can get by with a bare bones budget from the main job, but my side gigs give me a bit of spending money and a small "Oh ****, I need money cause ________" cushion. Also, see above about applying for promotions.

It just sucks getting asked by family that you don't see often asking what you're doing with your life and having them be disappointed when I say what I actually do. I know I'm not the only person with this problem (**insert joke about an NMU degree here**). It's just the times we live in. And the leadership is doing their best to make it that much harder going forward.

/rant

Really tough position.

Some folks, not all by any means, engage a recruitment firm or an employment agency to help them find better jobs.

I was fortunate that, in a similar period, I had a particular skill that the employment agency was able to turn into a series of 2-week / one-month positions that paid fairly well, and I always went straight from one job to the next with little to no hiatus in between. Eventually I was able to move on from there; it really helped (a) provide a decent income and (b) build up a great base of references.
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• There are forklift drivers in my plant that think they can do whatever they want. My area has two entrances; one to drop tanks off and the other is where we're washing tanks. Well, I've seen drivers bring dirty tanks into the area we're working, because "I need a place to put it."

Reporting it does no good.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

So I went outside to clean off the vacuum filter which was great because there wasn’t any wind.

I was wrong.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• I want to play cribbage, but I have no one to play with. If my mom were alive, I know she would play.
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                      I want to play cribbage, but I have no one to play with. If my mom were alive, I know she would play.
                      Cribbage has been big at family events the last few years, but outside of that it's tough for me to find anyone to play. Most just want to play euchre.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I miss playing that and scrabble. No one will play scrabble with me

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                          I miss playing that and scrabble. No one will play scrabble with me
                          Mookie’s mom plays online. You put up a word and wait for the other person(s) to log in and take their turn. Not sure Mookie wants to play over a week, but mom doesn’t mind
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            Mookie’s mom plays online. You put up a word and wait for the other person(s) to log in and take their turn. Not sure Mookie wants to play over a week, but mom doesn’t mind
                            I love playing that way- I used to play with Legal hit but she got too busy

Comment

I know a local brewery has cribbage tourneys in winter. It's becoming a lost art. Like the true Mah Jong.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                                I love playing that way- I used to play with Legal hit but she got too busy
                                Too busy to check in once a month???
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X