Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

Snow is in the forecast. May our backs be strong, our snow blowers functional, and our plows unbroken.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: Winter Weather 2017-18 where EVERYONE argues.

Supposed to be 40F on Friday with 50% chance of precip. Maybe we'll see a few snow flakes.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Looks like the Tug Hill Plateau (east of Lake Ontario) is looking at 10-18" this week.

On a related note. As most of you know, I'm 62 and have 100' x 15' driveway. Being in the DC area large snows are a once in 7 years occurrence, but when they happen, they're whoppers.

I'm debating on a snowblower, but figure I won't need it most winters, but when we get 6" or more, it would be wonderful. I'm thinking of a 22" Craftsman. Anyone have a snowblower and what would you recommend.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

It's 59F in Minneapolis right now. Tomorrow's prediction for this same hour is 19F and lots of wind. This will be...something.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Looks like the Tug Hill Plateau (east of Lake Ontario) is looking at 10-18" this week.

On a related note. As most of you know, I'm 62 and have 100' x 15' driveway. Being in the DC area large snows are a once in 7 years occurrence, but when they happen, they're whoppers.

I'm debating on a snowblower, but figure I won't need it most winters, but when we get 6" or more, it would be wonderful. I'm thinking of a 22" Craftsman. Anyone have a snowblower and what would you recommend.
          Just stay in.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

In the DC area, by buying a snowblower, you personally are assuring there will be no snow in the entire area for the lifetime of the snowblower.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
              In the DC area, by buying a snowblower, you personally are assuring there will be no snow in the entire area for the lifetime of the snowblower.
              That sounds like $400 well spent to me.

I'm pretty sure I've been playing with house money in Chicagoland by not buying a snowblower for my house. Only needed to shovel the driveway a dozen times the last two years, not sure if I can gamble a third successful winter in row (but I'm gonna try!).
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                After numerous day long power outages, I bought a whole house generator.

Yup. Next to no long power outages since and those for less than 2 hours.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Pretty sure mine is a 22" Airens.

Bought it in '10 or so when we moved to a new house coz I couldn't just borrow the neighbor's anymore when we got dumped on.

Light snows I don't even bother as I can shovel pretty quick, but when we get dumped on...

Worth.

Every.

Penny.

About $700 iirc

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                    Pretty sure mine is a 22" Airens.

Bought it in '10 or so when we moved to a new house coz I couldn't just borrow the neighbor's anymore when we got dumped on.

Light snows I don't even bother as I can shovel pretty quick, but when we get dumped on...

Worth.

Every.

Penny.

About $700 iirc
                    And Ariens last forever.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

In other weather related news, got out on a stream on Saturday and fished wading for 4+ hours... in December... in Wisconsin.

Gorgeous day and only had a hoodie on.

Don't get me wrong, I was out for the opener in January and it was -2 - didn't wade that day, fished from the banks.

I go out in any weather, but it was really nice to not have to layer up.

Got over a dozen brownies too.

Glorious day.
                      Last edited by Gurtholfin; 12-04-2017, 04:27 PM.

Comment

And Ariens last forever.
                        So far...

Comment

And Ariens last forever.
                          But enough about Trump.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            It's 59F in Minneapolis right now. Tomorrow's prediction for this same hour is 19F and lots of wind. This will be...something.
                            It's firing up in the Red River Valley right now. We'll ship it down I-94 for you.

Here's a preview of the frosty goodness coming your way.
                            Last edited by The Sicatoka; 12-04-2017, 03:59 PM.
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              In other weather related news, got out on a stream on Saturday and fished wading for 4+ hours... in December... in Wisconsin.

Gorgeous day and only had a hoodie on.

Don't get me wrong, I was out for the opener in January and it was -2 - didn't wade that day, fished from the banks.

I got out in any weather, but it was really nice to not have to layer up.

Got over a dozen brownies too.

Glorious day.
                              Which county, Gurth?

Comment

Working...
                              X