Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    The difference is, the mound is always a little bit different. Even the batters probably want the pitcher to get used to it, for their own safety. I'd rather they cut the number of warm-up pitches in half, to 4 instead of 8.
    I’m sure some nerd is going to tell me that half an inch in the mound is an ocean of difference. Hogwash. These are the best in the world. They shouldn’t need it. Build the mound in the same way in the pens and be done with it. It’s not hard.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      I’m sure some nerd is going to tell me that half an inch in the mound is an ocean of difference. Hogwash. These are the best in the world. They shouldn’t need it. Build the mound in the same way in the pens and be done with it. It’s not hard.
      A half an inch IS a difference, BUT, I agree, make the warmup mounds the same. Even at amateur levels, measurements cause a difference. One can tell.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
        A half an inch IS a difference, BUT, I agree, make the warmup mounds the same. Even at amateur levels, measurements cause a difference. One can tell.
        Half an inch is not going to make a meaningful difference to these guys for this purpose. The wind speed and angle probably affects their pitches far more than half an inch of mound height would, and the pens are always different in that regard.

That said, I'm sure there was a time when teams allowed their visitor's bullpen to slide out of compliance.

Comment

Trout staying with the Angels.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...430m-extension
          A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

He's probably underpaid.

VERY nice to see he won't be in pinstripes, though.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              He's probably underpaid.

VERY nice to see he won't be in pinstripes, though.
              Either underpaid or Harper and Machado are overpaid.
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                That is one of the products of the "stat" era... The guy who hits 50HR, 95 RBI but strikes out 150+ times is more valuable than a .325 hitter with 5 HR, 85 RBI and 20 K's....
                I get what you're trying to say and likely used extreme numbers for effect, but a 17:1 ratio of RBI to HR would be unheard of. In 2018 the highest RBI to HR ratio for hitters with 85+RBI was 6.53 (Yuli Gurriel). Incidentally that player had an excellent AB to SO (6.53) ratio but only a WAR of 2.2. Manny Machado's AB/SO by comparison was much worse (2.89) but better SLG, OBP, OPS and a WAR of 5.7.

Comment

The sabermetricians did demonstrate convincingly that power hitting contributes more runs and thus more value than small ball, and to that extent they made the game boring. But they are also always falling all over themselves to note that productive outs are monumentally better than strike outs for run production. Those ludicrous 180+ K numbers rolled up by today's Killebrews are very much frowned upon by the sabers.

For all the hate and fear directed towards it by the Innumerate and the Olds, saber really only overturned one piece of CW lore: the sacrifice. And in that case the evidence was just too big to ignore. If you are not a pitcher and you bunt you are an idiot.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 03-20-2019, 03:48 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Ahhh minor league baseball promotions. Hope it doesn't get snowed out.

https://nesn.com/2019/03/pawsox-to-h...ez-engagement/
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      The sabermetricians did demonstrate convincingly that power hitting contributes more runs and thus more value than small ball, and to that extent they made the game boring. But they are also always falling all over themselves to note that productive outs are monumentally better than strike outs for run production. Those ludicrous 180+ K numbers rolled up by today's Killebrews are very much frowned upon by the sabers.

For all the hate and fear directed towards it by the Innumerate and the Olds, saber really only overturned one piece of CW lore: the sacrifice. And in that case the evidence was just too big to ignore. If you are not a pitcher and you bunt you are an idiot.
                      Seems like the standards change on a whim Kep. Back in the day when fantasy league people were touting JD Drew as one of the best players in the league it was all about working the walk and on base %. Now its swing for the fences or K and that's all good.
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Mariners have a secured a playoff spot if the season ended today.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                          Mariners have a secured a playoff spot if the season ended today.
                          Two of those words don’t belong in the same sentence...
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            Two of those words don’t belong in the same sentence...
                            Probably should be:

Mariners season ended today.
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                              Probably should be:

Mariners season ended today.
                              Well that’s not accurate, they’re a game up on Texas and the Angels!

U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Too late?? Kep??

@Mets: 🚨 Just Announced 🚨

@CitiField is getting a permanent address change! We will be officially renaming 126th Street to honor #TomSeaver. More info to come at a later date. #Mets https://***********/Mets/status/1108...209219/photo/1
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X