Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Hohuskies8675309 = JohnScottRocks. Guaranteed.
    I've been wondering for awhile whatever happened to JSR..

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
      Based on how the upperclassmen fizzled I can't be as optimistic.
      This was always going to be a rebuilding year. We lost a lot of leadership, scoring, key roll players, and upper classmen. Our roster is completely different than it was 2 years ago.

We had one senior and one junior D men. Our top D pair was two sophomores. The early departure of Reinke stung as he would have lead the D corp and giving us an added offensive punch that we greatly are lacking.

Joe and staff heavily layered our D to give us a chance. Was it the best solution? We can debate that all offseason, but Joe and staff have forgotten more about hockey I will (and most of us) ever hope to know.

I am optimistic about our Freshmen and Sophomore class. I don't know much about the guys we are bring in, but if we get a team that skates well, doesn't turn over the puck, plays team first hockey, and plays in hard ice, we will be fine. It would be nice to get a few high skill guys in the lineup.

Comment

Ok, so moving on to the off season thread, can we just name it:
        Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: Holding on to Hope Because We Can't Hold a Lead...
        Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 03-11-2019, 12:57 PM.
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Checkmate View Post
          Mitch Meek could help this team. He is healthy, but he is buried. Playing Kiilunen over Mitch is a joke IMO. He is arguably top four. Only one reason I can think of, TK is a walk on so if MM leaves there is another scholarship. There is a big group coming in again next year, gotta make room somehow. The players all know who is best and this flies in the face of that. Gotta play your best guys regardless of physicality, size, blah, blah, blah. Tough to keep the boys playing at a high level when you are not giving them the best team.
          I really debated answering this, but finally I figured it could be a learning moment.
          You approached this wrongly and you've made a number of mistakes here. 1. being a walk on always works against a player, not for him. Get that out of your head. There are a number of reasons but suffice it to say that it's far, far, morel ikely, given equal skill, that a scholarship athlete will play.
          2. The decision on who to play is made generally by more than one person, not just the HC. If an assistant went in and said, player A is doing great and needs to play, he would be in the line up.
          3. And most importantly, by putting this out there in public like this you embarrass the staff. They do not enjoy the visibility believe me. The way to get an answer on something like this is NOT to put in the media. It's to go find some low level guy, like maybe the assistant to the assistant equipment manager or something. You talk to him about it. It will get elevated and you will get your answer as to why this is the way it is. And I can also say, i'm 100% certain that your buddy there, if he has gone in and asked, knows what the coaches think about things and is familiar with what needs to be done.
          4. Take this for the advice it is meant to be. Do not do this in your next organization or in life anywhere. You are smart enough to figure out how the political game works in your organization. You will get nowhere embarassing the boss.

Most of us on here, who follow the team already know the answer to your querry though. It's been talked about.
          Last edited by manurespreader; 03-11-2019, 04:38 PM.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            Michigan Tech Huskies Off-Season 2019: Holding on to Hope Because We Can't Hold a Lead...
            If there was a 'Like' button I'd like this..

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            I reallt debated answering this, but finally I figured it could be a learning moment.
            You really approached this wrongly and you've made a number of mistakes here. 1. being a walk on always works against a player, not for him. Get that out of your head. There are a number of reasons but suffice it to say that it's far, far, morel ikely, given equal skill, that a scholarship athlete will play.
            2. The decision on who to play is made generally by more than one person, not just the HC. If an assistant went in and said, player A is doing geat and needs to play, he would be in the line up.
            3. and most importantly, by putting this out there in public like this you embarrass the staff. They do not enjoy the visibility believe me. The way to get an answer on something like this is NOT to put in the media. It's to go find some low level guy, like maybe the assisstant to the assistant equipment manager or something. You talk to him about it. It will get elevated and you will get your answer as to why this is the way it is. And I can also say, i'm 100% certain that your buddy there, if he has gone in and asked, knows what the coaches think about things and is familiar with what needs to be done.
            4. Take this for the advice it is meant to be. Do not do this in your next organization or in life anywhere. You are smart enough to figure out how the political game works in your organization. You will get nowhere embarassing the boss.

Most of us on here, who follow the team already know the answer to your querry though. It's been talked about.
            Agree with ya MS.. and I was only able to catch a few minutes of the JSH today. But the part I caught was were Coach said there was a good chance Todd would be wearing a letter next season.

Comment

If there was a 'Like' button I'd like this..

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              I reallt debated answering this, but finally I figured it could be a learning moment.
              You really approached this wrongly and you've made a number of mistakes here. 1. being a walk on always works against a player, not for him. Get that out of your head. There are a number of reasons but suffice it to say that it's far, far, morel ikely, given equal skill, that a scholarship athlete will play.
              2. The decision on who to play is made generally by more than one person, not just the HC. If an assistant went in and said, player A is doing geat and needs to play, he would be in the line up.
              3. and most importantly, by putting this out there in public like this you embarrass the staff. They do not enjoy the visibility believe me. The way to get an answer on something like this is NOT to put in the media. It's to go find some low level guy, like maybe the assisstant to the assistant equipment manager or something. You talk to him about it. It will get elevated and you will get your answer as to why this is the way it is. And I can also say, i'm 100% certain that your buddy there, if he has gone in and asked, knows what the coaches think about things and is familiar with what needs to be done.

Agree with ya MS.. and I was only able to catch a few minutes of the JSH today. But the part I caught was were Coach said there was a good chance Todd would be wearing a letter next season.

Comment

this gets a like from me too.
                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

No surprise Lucch to the Pen's
                  https://www.michigantechhuskies.com/...20190311olldbi

Are they going to post Monday's JSH?

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                    Maybe Admin thought he got too political or too religious?

Who cares, I want Joe to keep being Joe.

I like this coach.
                    I like this staff.
                    I like this team.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

No surprise Lucch to the Pen's
                      https://www.michigantechhuskies.com/...20190311olldbi

http://themix93.com/sports/podcasts/
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                        Maybe Admin thought he got too political or too religious?

Who cares, I want Joe to keep being Joe.

I like this coach.
                        I like this staff.
                        I like this team.

I couldn't agree more with your comments about Joe, staff and team.

Thank you Shirtless. Another great JSH!
                        Last edited by Lost_Husky; 03-12-2019, 11:03 AM. Reason: giving Shirtless credit

Comment

I couldn't agree more with your comments about Joe, staff and team.

Thank you to who posted to that it was on sound cloud. Another great JSH!
                          I haven't had a chance to hear it all yet. Just the last 20 minutes or so.

I'm going miss my weekly shot of Joe over the summer. Hopefully Dirk can get him to come in a couple times.

Comment

I thought it was a very interesting and insightful JSH. I was surprised the coach gave himself a failing grade for the year based on not getting total buy in from the team. Was surprised to hear a player actually felt entitled to top minutes, PP and PK time based on how long they've been with the team.
                            Assuming it's a senior but don't have a clue which one?
                            The coach sounded troubled by who he put letters on this season and had actually considered others right from the start.
                            He really sounded sincere about his love for the program and the players; I hope he can get things going in the right direction.

Comment

I thought it was a very interesting and insightful JSH. I was surprised the coach gave himself a failing grade for the year based on not getting total buy in from the team. Was surprised to hear a player actually felt entitled to top minutes, PP and PK time based on how long they've been with the team.
                              The coach sounded troubled by who he put letters on this season and had actually considered others right from the start.
                              He really sounded sincere about his love for the program and the players; I hope he can get things going in the right direction.
                              While I really enjoy the insight Joe provides to the team...I think he's way too open with us listeners on the radio show. Some things are best kept in the locker room or off the record.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Listening to Joe, hearing what he valves, hearing what his mantra is,... I am not surprised. He had his first losing season in his coaching career, he feels his team didn't improve (weak on the puck, didn't play with grit, didn't have total team buy-in,...). IMHO he is being hard on himself. He is trying to implement a culture and playing style change. (Grittier, team first, solid fundamentals) Listening to what Joe talks about, he wants to be able to go nose to nose with MSU and BGSU weekend in and weekend out. As we saw/hear from this weekend, that didn't happen.

His "D" grade for the team hopefully is a wake-up call to them. We had a lot of youth, but didn't have a lot of grit. I like our guys a lot and best wishes to the seniors. We all saw how we couldn't hold a lead, gave up empty net goals, no one stepping up when we needed that one play,... really hurt us this year. This is not meant to sound down on them, but some growth is needed. It will be interesting to see what Joe does on the recruiting trail.

The troubling part about that story was the player didn't try to improve. To be fair they sounded like someone who doesn't love the sport and is being forced to play/collecting the perks. My hope is they wake up, put in the effort required for them to earn what they want.

I hope Joe and Staff follow their hearts. Keep doing what they know is the right thing to do, even if it isn't easy or unconventional.

I like what Joe is building. I like our guys. Go Huskies!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X