• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019 Transfers

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    What college checks the following boxes
    1. Canadian National team coach
    2. Close to home
    3. Where the college president knows your name ( and most of the other students on campus, too)
    4. Small town atmosphere
    5. Winning program
    6. Pep Band
    1. Play for the active coach with the most natties.
    2. Play for a coach who coached an Olympic team.
    3. Play for a coach who has played in the NHL and the Olympics - GOLD.
    4. Play for a coach who as scored more goals than all the ncaa coaches combined.
    5. Play for a team who has 2000+ in the stands for every game.
    6. It's list 100 more but I need to get work done!!!!
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Go to a school that seems like the right fit for you. That seems to be the number one reason why young women that I've spoken to over the years pick a school. The rest is more important in an online debate than it is to the people whose lives we are talking about.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        4. Small town atmosphere

What other kind of 'atmosphere' can a town of , what?, 10 thousand project?

And not everyone - including someone from, let's say, Toronto - might see that as an advantage or 'selling point'.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
          What other kind of 'atmosphere' can a town of , what?, 10 thousand project?

And not everyone - including someone from, let's say, Toronto - might see that as an advantage or 'selling point'.
          Everyone can speculate, myself included, Lonergan beat her to the punch on Clarkson, if it was a package deal, it would already be over. Frieesen is going there also. It is going to be somewhere else. And it is doubtful it will be Minnesota since Agnew transferred from there. If she can't get a scholarship at this point, don't rule out Cornell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
            Everyone can speculate, myself included, Lonergan beat her to the punch on Clarkson, if it was a package deal, it would already be over. Frieesen is going there also. It is going to be somewhere else. And it is doubtful it will be Minnesota since Agnew transferred from there. If she can't get a scholarship at this point, don't rule out Cornell.
            I wouldn’t rule out Clarkson or Minnesota and what does Agnew have to do with Watts and Minnesota?? I would also think that BU might be an option if she likes Boston. If she wants to be reunited on a line with Lonergan, then Clarkson it is. Breaking up those two last year was something I never quite understood. Anyhow, she has an opportunity to start fresh and whatever she decides to do is her business and I can only wish her the best.

Comment

BU has been working the transfer route for years and nobody has had a problem with that - unlike all the criticism directed towards Clarkson recently. Some of BU's best players over the past 9 seasons have been transfers: Catherine Ward (Grad yr post-McGill), Jenn Wakefield (UNH), Isabel Menard (Syracuse), Shannon Doyle (Colgate), Alexis Crossley (UNH), Nina Rodgers (MN), Mary Parker (Grad yr post-Harvard), Abbey Stanley (UND), and Reagan Rust (RIT). Wakefield, Crossley, and Rust all ended up being Captains. Not sure how many NCAA tourneys BU makes without all those players. Like most of you, I have no issue with the transfers as it's a personal decision by the student athlete to finish their studies at the college of their choice.

However, if Watts were to transfer to BU, somebody might need to check on TTT real quick once that news breaks.
              THINK PINK
              BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by whoop87 View Post
                Some of BU's best players over the past 9 seasons have been transfers: Catherine Ward (Grad yr post-McGill), Jenn Wakefield (UNH), Isabel Menard (Syracuse), Shannon Doyle (Colgate), Alexis Crossley (UNH), Nina Rodgers (MN), Mary Parker (Grad yr post-Harvard), Abbey Stanley (UND), and Reagan Rust (RIT).
                Nice list. Stanley is a special case, given that her former program was gone, so every team in the country was trying to accommodate those players as best that they could.

What is odd about Clarkson is that it wasn't doing much with transfers, and then it made a dramatic shift where that became a standard way of building a team. As you say, that's how it has always been at BU. With the level of players coming in, one can't fault the Golden Knights. Teams would welcome most of the players. But what puzzles me is how did recruiting suddenly fall off to the point that Clarkson is in need of those players to the degree that it is. I get why Clarkson is attractive to transfers. I'm not sure why it is now less popular with younger players, unless it is a case of Shannon Desrosiers attracting many of those players and recruiting not going as well in her wake. One reason Minnesota didn't wind up with any UND transfers was that there wasn't any room on the roster for 2018-19, and UND didn't have any players looking for a new home for one year. So my question isn't why is Clarkson accepting so many transfers, but why does it have room for so many all of a sudden?

Building around transfers has always been one route to improving a team quickly in NCAA sports. It isn't as much a strategy for the long haul as recruiting preps is, so it is strange to see it become a key piece of a team that is already at the top, when that isn't how that team reached the top. Most programs talk a lot about their culture these days, and transfers have less opportunity to both embrace and develop the culture of a new program, particularly when they are already seniors.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  Nice list. Stanley is a special case, given that her former program was gone, so every team in the country was trying to accommodate those players as best that they could.

What is odd about Clarkson is that it wasn't doing much with transfers, and then it made a dramatic shift where that became a standard way of building a team. As you say, that's how it has always been at BU. With the level of players coming in, one can't fault the Golden Knights. Teams would welcome most of the players. But what puzzles me is how did recruiting suddenly fall off to the point that Clarkson is in need of those players to the degree that it is. I get why Clarkson is attractive to transfers. I'm not sure why it is now less popular with younger players, unless it is a case of Shannon Desrosiers attracting many of those players and recruiting not going as well in her wake. One reason Minnesota didn't wind up with any UND transfers was that there wasn't any room on the roster for 2018-19, and UND didn't have any players looking for a new home for one year. So my question isn't why is Clarkson accepting so many transfers, but why does it have room for so many all of a sudden?

Building around transfers has always been one route to improving a team quickly in NCAA sports. It isn't as much a strategy for the long haul as recruiting preps is, so it is strange to see it become a key piece of a team that is already at the top, when that isn't how that team reached the top. Most programs talk a lot about their culture these days, and transfers have less opportunity to both embrace and develop the culture of a new program, particularly when they are already seniors.
                  I just think that Clarkson is doing what they see as the best option for their program, proven older players are obviously going to be more impactful then true freshmen. They’ve done quite fine with the younger recruits as well, there should be impact players with this incoming class Bernard, Markowski, and Wisnewski should help revamp a defensive core that lacked depth last season. When you return players like Giguere, McGill, Pejzlova, Shelton, Turnquist and then go add in the grad transfer market combined with a very good recruiting class it’s going to become an attractive destination. It also is a great academic school that can connect you with a lot of post college options until the professional leagues finally get these women some support. It’s also very much a family like atmosphere, yes the local support isn’t consistently what it should be but it’s improving. A lot of these girls are the talk of the campus too and are great role models for young community members. Shannon is still involved too, she just is raising her young children and being a D1 coach is obviously a huge time commitment, it’s a special program led by special people that is going to be here for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post

Once you start heavily dipping in the transfer pool you have to keep it going. It will be a harder sell to a regular recruit going forward. Why would you go there if 22 year old Canadian Suzie will bump you for playing time in a couple years after getting a solid 1.2 GPA at her previous school.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                      I don't know - you think Jeff Kampersal would have her?
                      Good call....go back in time.....wasn't Watts a Princeton commit before she was a BC commit? definitely knows Kampersal!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fiveholio View Post
                        Once you start heavily dipping in the transfer pool you have to keep it going. It will be a harder sell to a regular recruit going forward. Why would you go there if 22 year old Canadian Suzie will bump you for playing time in a couple years after getting a solid 1.2 GPA at her previous school.
                        Lol, except you can't transfer anywhere but back home to mommy and daddy with a gpa that low.

Comment

Taylor Girard transfers from Lindenwood to Quinnipiac. She will be a junior and was Lindenwood’s leading scorer.

https://twitter.com/qu_wih/status/11...638337539?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                            Lol, except you can't transfer anywhere but back home to mommy and daddy with a gpa that low.
                            Yes, precisely my point. Somehow the minimum GPA is always achieved. When said Canuck decides to absquatulate, it always works out

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                              Taylor Girard transfers from Lindenwood to Quinnipiac. She will be a junior and was Lindenwood’s leading scorer.

https://twitter.com/qu_wih/status/11...638337539?s=21
                              Another sad story of a little sister of the poor getting raided of their best player.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                Another sad story of a little sister of the poor getting raided of their best player.
                                Taylor Kirwan from Lindenwood to Colgate. Rising sophomore defenseman.

Comment

Working...
                                X