This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: One Person's Trash...

Bill Burr has a new special out on Netflix. Per his whole career, pretty raw, and hilarious.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I'm not sure where to put this so, what the hell. Yay!
      That's pretty awesome.

Comment

Sunday night, I caught a few episodes of Disenchantment. Slowly, I see reasons to subscribe to Netflix.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
          Sunday night, I caught a few episodes of Disenchantment. Slowly, I see reasons to subscribe to Netflix.
          Love Netflix. Even if not a tv/movie buff, if you watch about 3 movies a month, it's worth the price. Compare it to rental prices from Amazon, etc....$3/movie or so, at best. I also have disc, same deal, and the big hits are usually only on disc for quite a while.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Netflix sent me email saying they added a show I may like- the i-land. I googled it and holy cow, all reviews say it may be the worst show they’ve ever seen. Not sure I have it in me to hate-watch.

We’re a month away from the Breaking Bad movie. I’ll be watching. Nice filler before return of better call Saul

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
              Netflix sent me email saying they added a show I may like- the i-land. I googled it and holy cow, all reviews say it may be the worst show they’ve ever seen. Not sure I have it in me to hate-watch.

We’re a month away from the Breaking Bad movie. I’ll be watching. Nice filler before return of better call Saul
              I cannot wait until the movie. And the delay with Saul.....ARGH.

At least Mayans is still dam good. A little intro of sorts with Felipe and Dita this week...NO idea what is going on there, outside of tinfoil hat theories (no, I don't read fanboards/etc).

Comment

I dunno whether I care about the BB movie or not. I liked where it ended I just feel this wasnt needed.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

Netflix’s ratings system died when they went to the thumbs up/down and the “% your match” instead of the stars. It was no longer about giving you the content the people liked, it was about pimping their utter garbage.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Netflix’s ratings system died when they went to the thumbs up/down and the “% your match” instead of the stars. It was no longer about giving you the content the people liked, it was about pimping their utter garbage.
                    ^^^^^^

I want the stars back. The percent match has been pretty spot on for me, though.

Comment

I should also rephrase. It was no longer about delivering ‘good’ content.

The percent match has been abysmal for me. It’s almost always a Netflix show. And when I look it up, it gets absolutely trashed in reviews.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        It was never about giving you the content you or others liked. It was ALWAYS a way to pimp stuff they were incentivized to pimp. And Netflix made a killing selling that crap off to the highest bidder.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I rarely watch Netflix anymore. My mom watches a couple of British shows so I keep it around. I don't think we would miss if it I decide to cancel it. I tried to get her into "Downton Abbey" on Amazon but I don't think she even watched the entire debut episode. It is funny to hear her complain that "nothing's on" when we have access to a hundred live channels, Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, HBO, the Roku channel and dozens of free apps. It isn't that there's nothing on, it's that there is too much on and it overwhelms us.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            It was never about giving you the content you or others liked. It was ALWAYS a way to pimp stuff they were incentivized to pimp. And Netflix made a killing selling that crap off to the highest bidder.
                            Yeah, they pimp hard. Maybe it's the volume you rate, I dunno. I'm coming up on 2000 (I might have even passed it, will have to check).

The algorithm is pretty solid overall, I think the "thumbs" weaken it. I wish they had the 10 star system. That would really get specific on ratings; however, that would bury a lot of pure crap that people watch. The thumbs basically say "You didn't hate it, so here's this!"

Comment

There is a whole chapter about it in my text for Business Analytics...they were data mining before it was cool and they made a killing selling that off to other companies so they could advertise to you. The Netflix Que was just their version of Facebook tailoring ads. People had no idea how much Netflix was giving away.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                There is a whole chapter about it in my text for Business Analytics...they were data mining before it was cool and they made a killing selling that off to other companies so they could advertise to you. The Netflix Que was just their version of Facebook tailoring ads. People had no idea how much Netflix was giving away.
                                I heard, and this could be rumor, that they gave away Netflix for life for the winning algorithm developer. It makes sense, although the winner was shorted hardcore in this case, but people like free stuff!

Comment

Working...
                                X