X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 9: I Need a Wine!

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I track everything manually, both for personal and the farm. Spreadsheets for all of it, no separate software to do anything.
    I love my Quicken but I enter everything manually and it isn't connected to any of my accounts. I love that I can look up things, predict them, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
      I love my Quicken but I enter everything manually and it isn't connected to any of my accounts. I love that I can look up things, predict them, etc.
      I prefer spreadsheets. Very powerful, and very customizable. Plus, none of the regular softwares like Quicken can do **** for farm stuff.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I prefer spreadsheets. Very powerful, and very customizable. Plus, none of the regular softwares like Quicken can do **** for farm stuff.
        I don't think I even know all the things spread sheets can do. I can make simple ones but I have no idea how to make them anything other than check lists

Comment

I prefer to control when the money exits my account. Still pay everything online though. Only have rent, cable/internet, electricity, and car payment (Also, I never make only the minimum payment on my car).
          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
          Originally posted by Quizmire
          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I've been using Quicken my entire adult life, so I can tell you where every penny has gone since 1995. The only exception is cash - for the first few years, I even kept track of that (treating withdrawals as transfers into a cash account, which I then spent on food, hookers, blow, etc). I have so many accounts that I can't imagine doing it manually via a spreadsheet.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I track everything manually, both for personal and the farm. Spreadsheets for all of it, no separate software to do anything.
              I knew I liked you for a reason.
              I have a spreadsheet as well for our expenses and travel stuff. It's been great. The summer that I worked for the business school at BU opened my eyes to how much you can customize stuff in Excel and how to do functions and write formulas.
              I don't think I even know all the things spread sheets can do. I can make simple ones but I have no idea how to make them anything other than check lists
              I can send you mine if you'd like. You might need to tweak it, but as someone who likes data, it's awesome.
              Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
              I prefer to control when the money exits my account. Still pay everything online though. Only have , rent, cable/internet, electricity, and car payment (Also, I never make only the minimum payment on my car).
              Same, except substitute mortgage for rent. I prefer to control it as I don't get paid at the same time every month and if we're traveling I like to prepay bills so they don't come due while we're away.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                I've been using Quicken my entire adult life, so I can tell you where every penny has gone since 1995. The only exception is cash - for the first few years, I even kept track of that (treating withdrawals as transfers into a cash account, which I then spent on food, hookers, blow, etc). I have so many accounts that I can't imagine doing it manually via a spreadsheet.
                Ditto. I’ve been on mint for about 9 years now. It keeps track of my checking, credit card purchases, car loans, mortgages, retirement, and investments. Same thing with cash. I just treat it as a slush fund. Hookers and blow seems about right.

I tried doing it all by spreadsheet and it’s just impossible. It grew to over 15 MB in under four years. Too processor heavy and it takes too much time to update the graphs. I’ve been thinking about playing around with power views but it’s not quite what I’m looking for.

I just like that it’s virtually zero effort and I can get a full financial picture on a moment’s notice.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                  I knew I liked you for a reason.
                  I have a spreadsheet as well for our expenses and travel stuff. It's been great. The summer that I worked for the business school at BU opened my eyes
                  I've got my farm spreadsheet up to probably about 12 sheets. Input transactions, code each one with a 3 digit number to classify each one, then have pivot tables to spit out expenses and income for all areas. I have sheets that are automatically coded to create a tax summary cor each year, for my tax guy, ones that tell me my seed expenses, fertilizer expenses, chemical expenses, labor, land rent, land principal, land mortgage interest, etc. Then I also have a sheet that automatically creates a projection for the next season, based on past performance and inputs, to use to securing financing. Lastly have several calculator sheets so I can calculate my break even points for yield, price, land rent, etc. Its turned out pretty well so far.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I've got my farm spreadsheet up to probably about 12 sheets. Input transactions, code each one with a 3 digit number to classify each one, then have pivot tables to spit out expenses and income for all areas. I have sheets that are automatically coded to create a tax summary cor each year, for my tax guy, ones that tell me my seed expenses, fertilizer expenses, chemical expenses, labor, land rent, land principal, land mortgage interest, etc. Then I also have a sheet that automatically creates a projection for the next season, based on past performance and inputs, to use to securing financing. Lastly have several calculator sheets so I can calculate my break even points for yield, price, land rent, etc. Its turned out pretty well so far.
                    I wish this was something that was taught in HS or college. I learned more about financial management in the 3 months at this job than I had in any other time in my life. I have a Workbook for each year with a sheet for each month. The expenses are classified into a header at the top that populates as I enter data. The 13th page has charts and aggregate spending for the year. I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                      I wish this was something that was taught in HS or college. I learned more about financial management in the 3 months at this job than I had in any other time in my life. I have a Workbook for each year with a sheet for each month. The expenses are classified into a header at the top that populates as I enter data. The 13th page has charts and aggregate spending for the year. I love it.
                      I do most of the same type of thing using Quicken. I can't say I wish they taught this in HS- it wasn't invented then I do find it fascinating but I am a learn as I do person and watching videos, etc go right over my head.

dd_bl YIKES!!

Comment

When will dx start the spreadsheet thread?

Comment

Don’t tempt me
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                            I prefer to control when the money exits my account. Still pay everything online though. Only have rent, cable/internet, electricity, and car payment (Also, I never make only the minimum payment on my car).
                            This. I pay most stuff online, but at my discretion. This is different than autopay. I pay my rent by check because the only other option is autopay.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              This. I pay most stuff online, but at my discretion. This is different than autopay. I pay my rent by check because the only other option is autopay.
                              Billpay is always an option. If the person/company that you are paying doesn't accept electronic payments, the bank sends a secure cashier check instead.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

This talk about spreadsheets is gear grinding.
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X