Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Didn’t someone a few years ago uncover a bunch of VCR tapes of some of the oldest episodes?
    I believe there was a discovery in some sub- sub- basement of the Beeb where they found some of the original ginormous reel to reel tapes. They were in terrible condition but the state of the art of restoration is so amazing now they were able to recover some episodes. I believe they got back several episodes of the multi-episode arcs but no full stories.

Before that discovery it was thought they had simply taped over everything -- the station had a certain amount of tape budgeted, they'd get to the end and then just tape over from the beginning. This was standard practice for European TV for a longer time than we'd expect -- the Germans were doing it well into the 70s. AFAIK all the stuff they had before was from ponderous homemade recordings by Brit nerds.

It sucks, but, hey, it's better than the Greek tragedies, where were have about 40 of the 400 or so that were written and produced.
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-03-2019, 01:10 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I believe there was a discovery in some sub- sub- basement of the Beeb where they found some of the original ginormous reel to reel tapes. They were in terrible condition but the state of the art of restoration is so amazing now they were able to recover some episodes. I believe they got back several episodes of the multi-episode arcs but no full stories.

Before that discovery it was thought they had simply taped over everything -- the station had a certain amount of tape budgeted, they'd get to the end and then just tape over from the beginning. This was standard practice for European TV for a longer time than we'd expect -- the Germans were doing it well into the 70s. AFAIK all the stuff they had before was from ponderous homemade recordings by Brit nerds.

It sucks, but, hey, it's better than the Greek tragedies, where were have about 40 of the 400 or so that were written and produced.
      I also remember reading that some of the former British Empire nations who re-broadcast(ed) BBC feeds had tapes in storage. I think Nigeria had the largest trove of archived tapes that everyone forgot about.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Disney announces Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ Bundle

So $12.99 gets you Disney+, Hulu (w/ ads), and ESPN+. Not sure there is any value for myself with this over just Disney+ for $69.99/year
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
          Disney announces Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ Bundle

So $12.99 gets you Disney+, Hulu (w/ ads), and ESPN+. Not sure there is any value for myself with this over just Disney+ for $69.99/year
          I missed IgerCon

I have the Hulu+Spotify deal so I don't know how that'll work with this bundle.

So...
          Disney/Hulu/ESPN: $13
          Netflix $13
          Amazon: $15 ($180 annually)
          YTTV: $50

That's still only $91/month for more TV than we can possibly watch.

Comment

My friend is getting Disney + and giving me his password. (he uses my Netflix) I will probably get the Warner streaming and let him use it. Already have Hulu Live without ads so the bundle is worthless to me.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              My friend is getting Disney + and giving me his password. (he uses my Netflix) I will probably get the Warner streaming and let him use it. Already have Hulu Live without ads so the bundle is worthless to me.
              That's probably the best way to do it if you can. Hook up with some friends/family, each get one service, then create extra profiles/share passwords.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                That's probably the best way to do it if you can. Hook up with some friends/family, each get one service, then create extra profiles/share passwords.
                You can get a lot of weird recommendations though. "You might like this new movie we added to Netflix!" Nope.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  You can get a lot of weird recommendations though. "You might like this new movie we added to Netflix!" Nope.
                  That's the best part, wrecking someone elses algorithm. My brother shared his Netflix password with me, and I love wrecking his recommendations.

He actually thanked me once because he was in a film rut and actually liked the new recommendations.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Ya handy should be sorry that I got my own Netflix account and gave it to my mom. He’d love her recommendations!!

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                      Netflix allows for multiple profiles to be setup within an account. Default profiles are the account owner's and a children's profile to restrict content. After that, you can set up some 3 or 4 more.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        He has his own profile so that doesnt happen. I dont want a bunch of kids shows popping up
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I feel like I might have asked this and forgotten that it was answered, but I'm going to ask (again?)...

Of the Amazon Fire Stick, Google Chromecast, and Roku, (or unnamed alternate option) which one:
                          - Has the best streaming quality?
                          - Allows me to download channels/apps like MLBtv, Hulu, Vudu, etc.?

Here's the setup: I'm spoiled by how the AppleTV just works and looks like regular TV when streaming MLBtv, Netflix, and such. If I use my phone or laptop to stream to the TV, the frames per second sometimes dip and telltale "streaming" artifacts appear, or the connection completely drops. I have the AppleTV on the Living Room TV and I'm looking for something that isn't $150+ for the few times it might be used on the other TV in the house. This second TV is a SmartTV from Samsung, but the TV or apps have not been supported/updated in three years, and opening any app seems to take minutes. Using a streaming stick/box would be much quicker.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Roku and Firestick allow for downloading apps and stations. Chromecast is mostly for streaming from your computer.

If you are getting a Roku the best advice is to get a TV that has it built in already. Much easier to use and less glitchy. Firestick I think is rather worthless but my GF likes hers. We have a Chromecast on every TV and personally I find them to be the best overall at streaming.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I had a Firestick, and didn’t like it at all. The main amazon functions and video playback were horribly glitchy. My review on Amazon’s site was so negative that they refused to publish it.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                I had a Firestick, and didn’t like it at all. The main amazon functions and video playback were horribly glitchy. My review on Amazon’s site was so negative that they refused to publish it.
                                Yeah. Like I said I find it worthless but if you watch a lot of Amazon stuff it is probably nice. Most smart TVs are better than a Firestick though.
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X