Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 NCAA DIII Women's Tournament

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    Looking forward to welcoming those that have never been to Northfield, Vermont and the central Vermont area.

For those that are new or may have even been here before, wanted to give a little information to help plan their trip.

Hotels:
    I would recommend Capitol Plaza in Montpelier. About 15 minutes from campus. it's right in downtown Montpelier, state capital and walking distance to many restaurants as well as shops etc. There is also a fantastic steakhouse right adjacent to the hotel. The Comfort Inn will be totally booked I believe with all the teams staying there.

Other places I would recommend would be the Quality Inn in Barre as well as the Best Western and Fairfield?Marriott Inn Suites in Waterbury. Quality Inn is about 20 minutes from the rink. The two places in Waterbury might be the best bang for your buck, just a little bit further drive. Both are about 30 minutes from campus, but they are also 25-30 minutes from downtown Burlington which is a fantastic area right on Lake Champlain if you've never been. Highly recommend Church Street if you have time to kill in Burlington.

The two places in Waterbury are also right near the "tourist trail" of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, Cold Hollow Cider Mill and Cabot Cheese Factory. Excellent area with good restaurants and the famous Alchemist Brewery with Headytopper is right in town.

Restaurants: I would recommend trying to go to Cornerstone Burger Company right in downtown Northfield. it's a great burger joint with beers and they have been fantastic supporters of Norwich and the hockey programs. Bobby runs the place and does a great job. I fully expect this place to be hopping all weekend with hockey fans.

There is only one other true bar in Northfield and it's just on the outskirts of town heading toward Montpelier. It's called the Rustic and it's a family-owned bar/restaurant. Mark is the owner, also a great guy and great supporter of Norwich. Bigger place and a little bigger menu than what Cornerstone has. Highly recommend the Ramsey if you go there! grilled cheese with a burger in the middle.

Northfield also has a Subway and Depot Pizza. There is a craft brewery that has done well right next to Cornerstone Burger company called Good Measure Brewing. They also just opened up a coffee shop right next to Cstone called Carrier Roasting that has been getting rave reviews from the coffee drinkers (not me.).

Two decent options for breakfast in town. Common Cafe is right downtown and is your typical diner style breakfast joint. My favorite is Falls general store near the Rustic. They have a great breakfast menu and great coffee. The FGS breakfast plate is solid choice any day of the week.

Montpelier and Barre are the two "bigger" cities in the area with a few more dining options, "nightlife" and hotels.

There are a couple Bed and Breakfasts in Northfield that may have limited availability if you just have a smaller group and want to stay right in town.

Hope this information helps. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any more questions. My contact information is pretty easy to find on www.norwichathletics.com!

Classes are not in session so parking and tickets will not be an issue. We have 1500 seats and 2200 with standing room. We're expecting a good turnout but certainly not getting a sellout. A Plattsburgh/Norwich final though would certainly be a pretty good ticket and we might approach being able to sell all the seats.
    Do you know pricing yet ?

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
      Do you know pricing yet ?
      http://norwichathletics.com/sports/w...20180311mbxqva
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

I have to say I would much rather have seen River Falls or Gustavus or Lake Forest (or several other teams) in the spot Morrisville had. That game was a joke for Norwich (8-2 score, 39 shots to just 14, and clearly took their foot off the gas in the 3rd period) and it shows what an unfortunate waste that conference's AQ is and supports what many people here said about what a joke it was to see Endicott being ranked in the top 10 this season.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          The Comfort Inn will be totally booked I believe with all the teams staying there.
          That's very close quarters if all three visiting teams are staying there. Hope there are no problems and everyone keeps their Snaps to themselves this time.

Thanks for the tip about staying in Montpelier and the restaurant tips, Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
            Nice run down on the local attractions Prez...and I'd only add that I hope the visitors get to see what those amazing women Cadets showed us this past weekend...especially if we get a crack at the Birds for the NCAA title. What a great showing!!! Go Cadets
            Yes, thank you Prez for the great info!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
              That's very close quarters if all three visiting teams are staying there. Hope there are no problems and everyone keeps their Snaps to themselves this time.
              Whenever the men's championship is held at Lake Placid, all four teams are housed in the USOC training facility dorms (whatever they call it). There's never been a problem.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by wallhd View Post
                Not often seen, but the Cards have a lot of depth. It showed tonight!!
                They were ripe for the picking last night with their injuries and suspensions. They also had a long stretch where they looked completely rattled: couldn't pass out of its own zone, ladies running into each other, fanning on shot attempts. Very uncharacteristic. What was characteristic is that they pushed through it and ended up with the W. I like their chances next week when they get their legs under them and their heads straighter. Only question is who do you play in goal? Abbott didn't play either of the Elmira games this year and Wolejko did play the conference championship game.... Nice problem to have!
                Steve
                Penn State Class of '95
                Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                  They were ripe for the picking last night with their injuries and suspensions. They also had a long stretch where they looked completely rattled: couldn't pass out of its own zone, ladies running into each other, fanning on shot attempts. Very uncharacteristic. What was characteristic is that they pushed through it and ended up with the W. I like their chances next week when they get their legs under them and their heads straighter. Only question is who do you play in goal? Abbott didn't play either of the Elmira games this year and Wolejko did play the conference championship game.... Nice problem to have!
                  I think it will be Wolejko on Friday. She's played Elmira twice and it's her turn. It would be consistent with how they've played them all season, taking turns every game no matter the opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                    Whenever the men's championship is held at Lake Placid, all four teams are housed in the USOC training facility dorms (whatever they call it). There's never been a problem.
                    Wasn't there committee notes from a few years ago that the committee wanted the teams in a hotel rather than the USOC?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Wasn't there committee notes from a few years ago that the committee wanted the teams in a hotel rather than the USOC?
                      I can't remember. What I do remember is the Oswego SID, Adele, telling us how "interesting" the experience was...

I also remember how the participants that I spoke to liked being at the USOC facility.
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

It looks like three of Hamline's top five scorers are transfer students, two of them transferring from Lindenwood. The Hamline roster shows an assistant coach by the name of Jake Bobrowski. Is he the father of Lindenwood transfer Sarah Bobrowski? Seems like that would be borderline tampering wouldn't it, or certainly some sort of conflict of interest at the very least. Anybody know the deal here?

Comment

That is his daughter, but Jake arrived in 2015 with Natalie and Scott Darwitz. Sarah transferred in this year. Bill Mandigo's daughter played 4 years at Middlebury with no issue.

Natalie Darwitz took over a 6-17-2 Hamline team and wanted to improve quickly. One of the easiest ways to do that is to bring in talent better than what you've inherited as transfers. Her accomplishments and name have clearly resonated with the players who were willing to play down from D1 and play in D3. Then St. Thomas decided to ban themselves from the postseason and 2 of their top 5 scorers from 16-17 decided they didn't sign up for missing a year of postseason contention and took a walk to Hamline.

D1 to D3 and D3 to D3 transfers are not regulated in the same way D1 to D1 is. It would be tough to prove she offered them anything other than an opportunity to play somewhere else than they currently were. Plattsburgh had 3 D1 transfers and a D3 transfer on their 2014 championship roster.

It's the nature of the beast of trying to contend.
                          Last edited by Scott_TG; 03-12-2018, 05:38 PM.

Comment

That is his daughter, but Jake arrived in 2015 with Natalie and Scott Darwitz. Sarah transferred in this year. Bill Mandigo's daughter played 4 years at Middlebury with no issue.

Natalie Darwitz took over a 6-17-2 Hamline team and wanted to improve quickly. One of the easiest ways to do that is to bring in talent better than what you've inherited as transfers. Her accomplishments and name have clearly resonated with the players who were willing to play down from D1 and play in D3. Then St. Thomas decided to ban themselves from the postseason and 2 of their top 5 scorers from 16-17 decided they didn't sign up for missing a year of postseason contention and took a walk to Hamline.

D1 to D3 and D3 to D3 transfers are not regulated in the same way D1 to D1 is. It would be tough to prove she offered them anything other than an opportunity to play somewhere else than they currently were.
                            Transferring from Lindenwood to D3 isn't a huge difference. His being at Hamline with a daughter at Lindenwood gave him a direct communication line into the Lindenwood program and now Hamline has two Lindenwood transfers. How coincidental. One would hope things were done above board in terms of the rules about communicating with student-athletes at another school.

Were the two St Thomas transfers involved in last year's NCAA infraction? If so why should they be eligible to play any more than the Plattsburgh players that had suspensions last weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                              Transferring from Lindenwood to D3 isn't a huge difference. His being at Hamline with a daughter at Lindenwood gave him a direct communication line into the Lindenwood program and now Hamline has two Lindenwood transfers. How coincidental. One would hope things were done above board in terms of the rules about communicating with student-athletes at another school.

Were the two St Thomas transfers involved in last year's NCAA infraction? If so why should they be eligible to play any more than the Plattsburgh players that had suspensions last weekend?
                              St. Thomas wasn't an NCAA-imposed sanction. It was imposed by the school alone. So it wouldn't apply if they were no longer students.

Comment

St. Thomas wasn't an NCAA-imposed sanction. It was imposed by the school alone. So it wouldn't apply if they were no longer students.
                                I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

Working...
                                X