2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
    Yeah, we can't say a thing until the Mavs win an NCAA game.
    Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    That was my one dig at the SCSU fans (they use the Ric Flair Woooooooooooooo! at their games/etc after a win, and I think after a goal). Other than that, I am not contacting any of them, even with condolences, until Sun at the earliest. I know better, and the SCSU fans I'm cool with, it's a matter of due respect.
    My comment was more so to Brent’s point about the Ric Flair piece. (Also, as I’ve gotten to know Brent through the hears, I’ve picked up on his disdain for his exact post above. )

I genuinely feel sorry for DL and LWB.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

Biggest NCAA Tournament upsets by Pairwise ranking:

-RIT (38) over Minnesota State (1) in 2015
      -Bemidji State (37) over Notre Dame (2) in 2009
      -AIC (31) over SCSU (1) in 2019
      -Ferris State (30) over SCSU (2) in 2016
      -Air Force (27) over SCSU (1) in 2018
      -RIT (25) over Denver (2) in 2010
      -Holy Cross (21) over MN (2) in 2006

- Nate Wells

EDIT:

14th consecutive year a No. 1 seed has lost to a No. 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

St. Cloud State's senior class has been one of the top 2 overall seeds three times and ended with zero NCAA Tournament wins and Bob Motzko leaving to coach the Gophers.
      Last edited by SteveO; 03-30-2019, 02:05 AM.

Comment

• Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

SCSU, too funny
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          But the goofs weren’t #1 overall
          No, but the HC loss was still like manna from Heaven for some of us.

Makes one wonder how things would’ve turned out if the gophers had won that third place game in the Final Five that year instead of UW. I’m guessing Bemidji and Holy Cross switch regionals.
          Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 03-30-2019, 06:56 AM.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Well that was a a lot fun watching the games.
            OSU and Clarkson just not seasoned enough as they could not apply the dagger despite owning their opponents for long durations.
            I thought the Clarkson goalie, Kielly was so impressive, even the announcers had a hard time believing he would give one up.
            I am very happy for Jeff Jackson though.
            Well now that the bracket is busted, I hope BG and Mankato make some noise and Q kicks the crap out of ASU.

Have fun today everybody.....

Comment

Watching St.Cloud this season I thought they looked beatable to me and it wasn't until the championship game against Duluth did they play their best looking game.
              Could American International be the next Union and go the distance? Now that my team is out I have no problem rooting for an underdog.
              Usually I would stick with my conference but with Notre Dame in the B1G only for hockey I can't consider them part of the family.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                Watching St.Cloud this season I thought they looked beatable to me and it wasn't until the championship game against Duluth did they play their best looking game.
                Could American International be the next Union and go the distance? Now that my team is out I have no problem rooting for an underdog.
                Usually I would stick with my conference but with Notre Dame in the B1G only for hockey I can't consider them part of the family.
                Union was a one seed...

Comment

American International has tapped into the European recruiting market more than any NCAA team.

European players:

4 - Sweden
                  2- Czech Republic
                  1- Latvia
                  1- Norway
                  1- Slovakia
                  1- Slovenia
                  1- Ukraine

AIC got its first NCAA Tournament win before Minnesota State (6 NCAA appearances).

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                    OSU looked to be better overall but rusty, everything on the offense was off just enough to have every scoring chance go south.
                    One defensive mistake allowed a man to slip in unnoticed for a pass and come in on net unimpeded for the game winner.
                    OSU had one of the best PP's in the country last season and couldn't score on even one of four PP's tonight.
                    It was said last season Killer ran the PP and PP kill and Rohlik took that away from him this season. Bad move!
                    OSU had only played one game in the previous 27 days, so the rust was not a surprise. OSU looked good for while down the stretch with a 7 game winning streak before playing the Gophers on Feb. 15. Then they took a nosedive and went 1-6-1 to end their season. As perhaps the oldest NCAA team (10 seniors), next year will be a tough year for the Buckeyes.

Comment

Not current, but interesting data:

1) I used the NCAA's definition of a flight (a trip greater than 350 miles) and I based my mileage on Google Maps.
                      2) Obviously, this methodology is incapable of distinguishing "practically in-state," like Manchester, NH or Providence, RI for MA teams, nor can it separate out really long cross-country flights vs. shorter, quicker flights. But it's a decent start.
                      3) All records are based on the regional rounds; I did not look at the Frozen Four.

To the data:

Overall 2008 - 2015:

Teams playing in-state are 25-15
                      Teams traveling out of state by bus are 23-15
                      Teams flying are 39-54

1 seeds are 9-1 in state, 15-3 by bus, 7-10 by flight
                      2 seeds are 9-9 in state, 0-3 by bus, 9-12 by flight
                      3 seeds are 4-3 in state, 8-8 by bus, 7-14 by flight
                      4 seeds are 3-2 in state, 0-1 by bus, 15-18 by flight

- BC Interruption

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                        Yale and PC are the examples your looking for. Teams that made it into the tournament by the hair of their chiny chin chin.
                        It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          No, but the HC loss was still like manna from Heaven for some of us.
                          It's still the most important Gopher game to evey opposing college hockey fan in America.
                          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                            Yale and PC are the examples your looking for. Teams that made it into the tournament by the hair of their chiny chin chin.
                            And UMD. They even have a book titled .0001

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                              Biggest NCAA Tournament upsets by Pairwise ranking:

-RIT (38) over Minnesota State (1) in 2015
                              -Bemidji State (37) over Notre Dame (2) in 2009
                              -AIC (31) over SCSU (1) in 2019
                              -Ferris State (30) over SCSU (2) in 2016
                              -Air Force (27) over SCSU (1) in 2018
                              -RIT (25) over Denver (2) in 2010
                              -Holy Cross (21) over MN (2) in 2006

- Nate Wells

EDIT:

14th consecutive year a No. 1 seed has lost to a No. 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

St. Cloud State's senior class has been one of the top 2 overall seeds three times and ended with zero NCAA Tournament wins and Bob Motzko leaving to coach the Gophers.
                              Five of those seven are from Minnesota :-/
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                                AIC got its first NCAA Tournament win before Minnesota State (6 NCAA appearances).
                                Hahahaha omg.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X