Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics & Tax Policy 7: Workers of the world unite!

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    It's good for business. It's good for American jobs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/13/b...imes&smtyp=cur
    Or, you know, they could hold firm and enforce that it's Made in the USA.

Comment

What'd I say when this whole hubbabaloo started... https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...ng-his-workers

Comment

I work in automation.

The question I'm getting is Sawyer/Baxter, UR, or YuMi? I tell them they're forgetting Fanuc and a handful of other good ones.

The dawn of the "collaborative robot" (meaning no need for caging around it, either by low torque or redundant safety systems) means they won't need a lot of manual, low-skill positions filled by "hoomins*" in the future.

*stolen from Nature is Amazing on Twitter
        Last edited by The Sicatoka; 05-14-2018, 03:51 PM.
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
          I work in automation.

The question I'm getting is Sawyer/Baxter, UR, or YuMi? I tell them they're forgetting Fanuc and a handful of other good ones.
          My brother installs the automated services at places like McDonald's (most drink dispensers and fry baskets for the past 10 years). It's coming to a point where kids are really going to have to compete for a McJob even when there's a growing economy and the McMaster's program college grads aren't taking them.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            What'd I say when this whole hubbabaloo started... https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...ng-his-workers
            DJ Tice, who is a very conservative columnist for the Minneapolis paper, and someone who has been a pretty vocal opponent of things like the $15/hr minimum, mandatory paid time off, etc..., wrote an interesting column a short time ago, in which he all but says he may have been too hasty and that there is always an opportunity to learn. He references a recent study that shows some meaningful benefits to these policies.

http://www.startribune.com/duly-note...age/480424363/
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Kep will like this one... https://michaelsavage.com/?p=16968

Although I look forward to what loophole Bezos is going to use in order to get out of this one...

Comment

Or, you know, they could hold firm and enforce that it's Made in the USA.
                Private work doesn't need to be USA products only. And public works projects only need it when required.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Kep will like this one... https://michaelsavage.com/?p=16968

Although I look forward to what loophole Bezos is going to use in order to get out of this one...
                  I would applaud a straight up tax ear marked for homeless relief, but given the source I assume it's a lie or an intentional distortion to provoke knuck poutrage.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    I would applaud a straight up tax ear marked for homeless relief, but given the source I assume it's a lie or an intentional distortion to provoke knuck poutrage.
                    That was the discussion from yesterday, the NYT article I linked. My bet is that Bezos starts occupying space in empty warehouses just outside of Seattle's city limits. It keeps him in the area, and most of his staff intact, but avoids paying an extra $275/employee on the 40,000 working for him in that city today.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                      DJ Tice, who is a very conservative columnist for the Minneapolis paper, and someone who has been a pretty vocal opponent of things like the $15/hr minimum, mandatory paid time off, etc..., wrote an interesting column a short time ago, in which he all but says he may have been too hasty and that there is always an opportunity to learn. He references a recent study that shows some meaningful benefits to these policies.

http://www.startribune.com/duly-note...age/480424363/
                      I see the article doesn't address the true elephant in the room, which is how the added cost of labor is being handled by the employers who likely already have razor thin margins as it is, whether it's cutting back hours, raising prices, etc. Sure, it might make the employees happier in the short term, but all we're really doing is increasing the capital necessary to startup, while pushing out those who aren't able to keep up. Artificial creation of a monopoly for the sharks.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        That was the discussion from yesterday, the NYT article I linked. My bet is that Bezos starts occupying space in empty warehouses just outside of Seattle's city limits. It keeps him in the area, and most of his staff intact, but avoids paying an extra $275/employee on the 40,000 working for him in that city today.
                        Or keeps $19,999,999 in Seattle and off-shores the rest.

Comment

I see the article doesn't address the true elephant in the room, which is how the added cost of labor is being handled by the employers who likely already have razor thin margins as it is, whether it's cutting back hours, raising prices, etc. Sure, it might make the employees happier in the short term, but all we're really doing is increasing the capital necessary to startup, while pushing out those who aren't able to keep up. Artificial creation of a monopoly for the sharks.
                          You're hilarious. You realize that labor is taxed at a much higher rate than Capital right? So, instead of raising wages too high for you how about we equal out the taxes? Oh, that doesn't work in your plutocratic dream world either?
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Or keeps $19,999,999 in Seattle and off-shores the rest.
                            Amazon should just move to Billings. I assume the move costs could be covered by tax savings...along with the benefits of infrastructure, quality of labor, proximity to technology providers, etc.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              Amazon should just move to Billings. I assume the move costs could be covered by tax savings...along with the benefits of infrastructure, quality of labor, proximity to technology providers, etc.
                              Specifically what benefits over Seattle does Billings have in these areas? I lived in Billings for several years and I'm scratching my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                                I've been to Billings. The baseball wasn't bad. The flight to Sidney was interesting.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X