Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Wow Joe taking a dump on the WCHA Officials and league office on the JSH today. Calling them a joke when it comes to concussions/protecting players etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      So I'm back from attending the Ferris weekend in person... a few of my thoughts.

First, I think we should have just named this thread the off-season edition because this thread may last into 2019 considering the last one started in the preseason.

Friday game - A others have mentioned I believe Tech lost that game due to two soft goals by Munson (the first and the third). Even if you give up one of those a game that's really too many. And a second... well that just can't happen. When the goalie stares at he ceiling after the puck goes in, that's your clear indication it should have been stopped. There isn't enough scoring from Tech right now to allow two of those goals in one night. I too was shocked that Munson was back in net for the 3rd period on Friday. Makes me think Kero might have a minor injury. I agree that him getting a sweep last weekend and then finding the bench doesn't make much sense. Tech certainly could have won Friday night. The high point of the game was cashing in multiple times on the major penalty. That's what you have to do.

Ferris' rink felt like Houghton Co Arena. It's a tight little building and there was good attendance both nights (announced as sold out on Sat). The student section is pretty witty and they do their homework, which they put up on white boards behind the goal. They had prom photos of Huskies players, photos of Tech on road trip free days at the North Pole, and more written jabs that I could count. My favorite was "Hey Tech: Remember back when [previous coach] said he would stay..." I can't believe they didn't have a sign to hold up for home team goalie saves that read "SAVE FERRIS". Who knows maybe they beat that one to death in the 1990s.

Kinda strange that the visiting team has a lockerroom attached to the bench and Ferris has to walk 100 yards to get to theirs. Maybe the current visitors' facility used to be for the home team but they build something better remotely? Ferris also has some of the loudest, hardest glass I've ever seen. Frequently pucks shot over the goal came off the back glass so hard they ended up to the side of the net in front of the goal line. Very little give and that's got to be a long four years for Ferris players having to play there all the time.

I honestly thought Tech played BETTER Saturday night, but got zero breaks. Again gave up another bad goal which didn't help. I was again surprised to see Munson in net which only confirmed to me that Kero is not 100% physically. No reason to at least not being playing them as 1A / 1B at this point if all else was equal. Smith (Ferris goalie) is a pretty good puck handler (not at good as ASU's) and he frequently stopped the puck behind the net and rimmed it up the boards close to the blue line. It didn't start a break out ever time, but more often than not it did. The value of a puck handling goalie is huge for your D-men.

I too am sick of paired penalties when one is embellishment. In short one of the calls is wrong. If player #1 embellished, that means the only reason the ref made the other call is because the player "tricked" the ref into making the call. So if you think that's the case, then you don't make the first call and you just put the diving player in the box. If there is an actual infraction to be called, then it doesn't matter if the other player falls down or makes a scene. Don't hook, hold, trip, slash them and they won't do it. Calling both is the stupidest thing in hockey. It's one OR the other.

One thing Joe has harped on in the past was inconsistent officiating and that's what we had this weekend. At some points of the game ticky-tacky calls were being made. At other points, guys were slashing, whacking and grabbing and the whistles stayed silent. Either you're going to let them play all weekend and things will be more physical or you clamp down right out of the gate Friday night and you hold that standard. Honestly, it really shouldn't just be one weekend, but the league / season as a whole, but I would be happy to see a standard hold at least through a weekend with the same officials crew. I think about the only time the refs were doing the right thing was the end of the Saturday game where they just started sending pairs of players off as the play got really chippy at the end. On several occasions, Ferris D-men drove Tech forwards (who made very little attempt to stop) into the Ferris goalie. Of course the crowd went crazy there were no calls made, but I think no call was correct in those cases.

Overall, Tech was capable of taking six points from Ferris but they hurt themselves too many times. The missing players and soft goals did them in. If Tech were to have to come back in the playoffs and had a full roster, I would expect a VERY competitive series and a very reasonable potential for two Tech wins, even if it took three games.

Ryan
      That back room is more of a closet. It actually is about equal to Houghton County Arena, while Ferris has a pretty nice facility under the stands.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Re: Michigan Tech 2017-18 The Joe Shawhan Era Continues - Getting Better Everyday

Originally posted by geezer View Post
        I was surprised when Munson started Friday, shocked that he returned for the third period, and kind of horrified that he got the start on Saturday. Especially with Kero coming off a sweep where he appeared to be putting some confidence together. It’s got to be demoralizing for the entire team.
        Other than that, and The injuries, the team is very good.
        I totally disagree with the insinuation that the coach would put the team second. I think that thought is odious. I' understand where it comes from but from where I sit, Kero is not the guy.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          I totally disagree with the insinuation that the coach would put the team second. I think that thought is odious. I' understand where it comes from but from where I sit, Kero is not the guy.
          I don’t mean to suggest that Coach Joe is “putting the team second.” I just mean that the goaltending hasn’t been up to a DI standard lately. Nothing more frustrating that outplaying a team 3-1 and losing on the scoreboard.
          I think Coach is doing a great job. And he’s a goalie coach, he must see the same potential in Munson that you do; maybe we’ll see that breakout game one of these weeks...
          Last edited by geezer; 01-29-2018, 09:46 AM.
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

I don’t know what the answer is for goaltending but it does seem to me that currently Kero is #1 but no one seems to want the job because they’re all pretty consistent at allowing soft goals...
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Sounds to me like he just put all 3 goalies on notice for next year.

Personally I believe Kero has a way shorter leash than Munson for some reason.

As Coach did mention, he's known Kero for 3.75 seasons now and the other 2 only .75. Obviously he knows way more about goaltending than most on here but I'm struggling to see it the same way that he is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
              Last edited by rustedblades; 01-29-2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                I don’t know what the answer is for goaltending but it does seem to me that currently Kero is #1 but no one seems to want the job because they’re all pretty consistent at allowing soft goals...
                Actually sounded to me like he still feels Munson is #1. Or maybe that is just against a particular style of play. Kind of was all over the map trying to answer a very tough question to answer publicly with out offending any of the goalies. I liked his story about his frankness with Philips. He doesn't beat around the bush and in the long run if the guys can survive it they will be way better off for it, in the game and in life.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                  Actually sounded to me like he still feels Munson is #1. Or maybe that is just against a particular style of play. Kind of was all over the map trying to answer a very tough question to answer publicly with out offending any of the goalies. I liked his story about his frankness with Philips. He doesn't beat around the bush and in the long run if the guys can survive it they will be way better off for it, in the game and in life.

Obviously he knows more than most of us and sees them in practice, etc...maybe hes right but from what I've gotten to see, as long as Kero is healthy, he seems to be the best one...maybe I'm missing something, they all have laid eggs.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    Obviously he knows more than most of us and sees them in practice, etc...maybe hes right but from what I've gotten to see, as long as Kero is healthy, he seems to be the best one...maybe I'm missing something, they all have laid eggs.
                    I just don't trust Kero to stop a shot from the point. It's not just a one time thing either. it happens all the time.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      I just don't trust Kero to stop a shot from the point. It's not just a one time thing either. it happens all the time.
                      And I don't trust Munson's rebound control...they all seem to have holes.

In other news, it appears that I over-reacted a bit to Joe's lack of attempting to help the team for Saturday. It appears his biggest mistake was bringing Baltus thinking he'd be able to go and he couldn't, but its hard to fault him for that when they thought he'd be able to go, compared to bringing Marcus Russell. I'm disappointed in the WCHA for not giving MTU the emergency status to be able to bring more bodies down from Houghton. After all this is a safety issue in the end having these guys play all those minutes.

Comment

Sounds to me like he just put all 3 goalies on notice for next year.

I think the whole roster is on notice the second half and down the stretch. The remaining games will be an audition for much of the roster going into next year.
                        "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                          I think the whole roster is on notice the second half and down the stretch. The remaining games will be an audition for much of the roster going into next year.
                          Like Coach said today, there's nobody left to push the guys in the line up so they've got what they've got for the 2nd half. (more like final quarter, there are only 6 conference games left) He definitely put guys on notice for next year for sure!

He did say they are making good strides except in net, which is promising. Just need to spend a full scholarship on a new goaltender.

On another note, just looked up Angus Redmonds stats in the ECHL. He's played 15 games out of a possible 44, has a 4.01 GAA and an 87.3 save percentage on one of the worst teams in the league, so it definitely looks like he made the right move???
                          Last edited by rustedblades; 01-29-2018, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Just doing a little fact checking on the officiating bias discussed on the JSH today. With the coach being such a stats guy I'm struggling with how he feels the officiating is biased against MTU.

From CHN

WCHA Penalties Most to Least BGSU, FSU, UAF, LSSU, UAH, NMU
                            WCHA Penalties in Minutes Most to Least FSU, UAH, BGSU, UAF, LSSU
                            WCHA Penalties per Game Most to Least UAF, FSU, BGSU, UAH, LSSU, UAA
                            WCHA PIM per Game Most to Least UAF, UAH, FSU, MSU, BGSU
                            WCHA PPG Most to Least MSU, NMU and MTU tied
                            Power Play Opportunies MTU leads the nation with 143

I agree with the coach that there are a lot more penalties in the WCHA than the other leagues, the numbers show that, but I don't see the evidence of the bias against MTU. I guess I'd have to compare game by game MTU penalties vs. the opponents but just looking at this weekend MTU had 14 penalties and FSU had 15.

I like the fact that he is calling out the officials for calling a game poorly but I'd be real careful about really turning them against you by accusing them of bias. It probably could get a lot worse. Just my opinion.

Comment

Just doing a little fact checking on the officiating bias discussed on the JSH today. With the coach being such a stats guy I'm struggling with how he feels the officiating is biased against MTU.

From CHN

WCHA Penalties Most to Least BGSU, FSU, UAF, LSSU, UAH, NMU
                              WCHA Penalties in Minutes Most to Least FSU, UAH, BGSU, UAF, LSSU
                              WCHA Penalties per Game Most to Least UAF, FSU, BGSU, UAH, LSSU, UAA
                              WCHA PIM per Game Most to Least UAF, UAH, FSU, MSU, BGSU
                              WCHA PPG Most to Least MSU, NMU and MTU tied
                              Power Play Opportunies MTU leads the nation with 143

I agree with the coach that there are a lot more penalties in the WCHA than the other leagues, the numbers show that, but I don't see the evidence of the bias against MTU. I guess I'd have to compare game by game MTU penalties vs. the opponents but just looking at this weekend MTU had 14 penalties and FSU had 15.

I like the fact that he is calling out the officials for calling a game poorly but I'd be real careful about really turning them against you by accusing them of bias. It probably could get a lot worse. Just my opinion.
                              One thing as fans, no matter what the sport or what level, we always notice the bad or marginal calls that go agsinst us, but we rarely disagree with the ones that go in our favor. One thing I also try to remember is that the view we have from the stands or on TV is far different than what the officials see at ice level with 10 guys & two goalies whizzing around.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Like Coach said today, there's nobody left to push the guys in the line up so they've got what they've got for the 2nd half. (more like final quarter, there are only 6 conference games left) He definitely put guys on notice for next year for sure!

He did say they are making good strides except in net, which is promising. Just need to spend a full scholarship on a new goaltender.

On another note, just looked up Angus Redmonds stats in the ECHL. He's played 15 games out of a possible 44, has a 4.01 GAA and an 87.3 save percentage on one of the worst teams in the league, so it definitely looks like he made the right move???
                                Redmond is struggling this year, but did he make a bad move? I’d say no. His bonus check is in the bank and he has a 3 year deal. If he were to stay in college and wait a year longer to sign, his contract value isn’t likely to increase much even if he matches ehat he did last year and his chances of improving on those numbers with the loss of some pretty good D in front of him were slim. Throw in the possibility of tweaking a hamstring, groin or knee could be a disaster for his contract & bonus value. Bad move for Angus? No. Bad move for the Ducks? Time will tell. But one thing is in his favor is having the chance to work with the Ducks goalie coach on a regular basis. Good luck to Angus.

Comment

Working...
                                X