This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Cooks: Maybe We Can Beat Bobby Flay

I'm making fruitcake for Christmas. I haven't done it before, but this recipe from KAF sounds promising. One batch with booze, one without.

Comment

http://nautil.us/issue/30/identity/h...-our-evolution
      This might not belong in this thread but I know wally had been in here and it made me think of what he was saying at some point. Fascinating! (also makes all the cookies I bake even worse than I thought)

Comment

Have been making bread on a weekly basis for the last 10 weeks with pretty consistently good results. Does anyone in New England know if you can buy yeast in larger quantities than the small grocery store jars?

Jen - have you bought KAF things from the website? Am thinking about ordering from there, but haven't done it before.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
          Have been making bread on a weekly basis for the last 10 weeks with pretty consistently good results. Does anyone in New England know if you can buy yeast in larger quantities than the small grocery store jars?

Jen - have you bought KAF things from the website? Am thinking about ordering from there, but haven't done it before.
          BJs has HUGE bag of yeast http://www.bjs.com/fleischmanns-inst...0222175?dimId= It costs less to use that even if you throw half of it away

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            This might not belong in this thread but I know wally had been in here and it made me think of what he was saying at some point. Fascinating! (also makes all the cookies I bake even worse than I thought)
            I've read a lot of stuff about how the "Western Diet!11!1!" is killing us. I still think genetics play the biggest role in who lives well past 80, and who dies around or before 70.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
              Yeah, but the folks who are saying this are looked upon like idiots. Our food is controlled by companies who answer to wall street, they could give two ****s about your health.
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                I've read a lot of stuff about how the "Western Diet!11!1!" is killing us. I still think genetics play the biggest role in who lives well past 80, and who dies around or before 70.
                Originally posted by walrus View Post
                Yeah, but the folks who are saying this are looked upon like idiots. Our food is controlled by companies who answer to wall street, they could give two ****s about your health.
                See above. I have a friend who has a GI practice. There are a lot of evidence based medicine people who will admit this is right but the to set the gut right is very labor intensive and they can't get reimbursed in a way that makes it feasible. Add that to the patients just wanting to take a pill and not change anything ang Bob's your uncle.

Genetics may mean you have a predisposition to having a problem but the problem may not develop until your diet stinks.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                  See above. I have a friend who has a GI practice. There are a lot of evidence based medicine people who will admit this is right but the to set the gut right is very labor intensive and they can't get reimbursed in a way that makes it feasible. Add that to the patients just wanting to take a pill and not change anything ang Bob's your uncle.
                  Yup, I don't disagree but most GI will say diet doesn't matter. It's not easy following a strict diet and the consequences of cheating aren't a few pounds but a few million more bad bacteria. I'm going on 4 years of it.
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    Yup, I don't disagree but most GI will say diet doesn't matter. It's not easy following a strict diet and the consequences of cheating aren't a few pounds but a few million more bad bacteria. I'm going on 4 years of it.
                    THis gal averages 2 hrs for the first visit and follow up visits usually at least 1 hr. I tell people don't bother to go unless you are serious because she is very intense and the lifestyle changes are intense. I have, however, seen people who have been incapacitated by their health who have become new people after getting their leaky gut straightened out.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                      Genetics may mean you have a predisposition to having a problem but the problem may not develop until your diet stinks.
                      I get that. But call me a self-diagnoser, I still think the genetics matter more.

Obviously, if you're a chain smoker, or a big alkie, or eat restaurant food all the time, or are otherwise going off the rails, then the odds are out the window.

I'm staring down two sides of the coin - my mom's family mostly died around 70 and by various diseases - emphysema, congestive heart failure/acute cardiac arrest, diabetes, breast cancer, lung cancer, etc. My dad's family has largely made it to 80+, despite having the usual "YOU'RE DYING!" symptoms - hypertension, high cholesterol, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        I get that. But call me a self-diagnoser, I still think the genetics matter more.

Obviously, if you're a chain smoker, or a big alkie, or eat restaurant food all the time, or are otherwise going off the rails, then the odds are out the window.

I'm staring down two sides of the coin - my mom's family mostly died around 70 and by various diseases - emphysema, congestive heart failure/acute cardiac arrest, diabetes, breast cancer, lung cancer, etc. My dad's family has largely made it to 80+, despite having the usual "YOU'RE DYING!" symptoms - hypertension, high cholesterol, etc.
                        When I was 12, my parents stocked up on canned and processed food like nuclear war was coming. Didn't get sick, but all that sugar led to me weighing 396 pounds as an adult.

I really didn't take an interest in fresh cooking until I graduated from college. Since then, I really haven't gotten sick, other than seasonal allergies.

Though I DO wish my high school would have had a cooking club or Home Ec class when I was attending between 1996 and 2000...
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

My pizza stone broke tonight when I was baking bread. Stupid bread.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post

yes - lots and lots of times. fantastic customer service, and pretty quick shipping. as far as quality of stuff - I always read the reviews, they're usually pretty accurate (and you can tell who knows their stuff, and who to ignore). They often have deals (right now, I think it's spend $75 and get free shipping - but they usually have free shipping before the holidays as well, if you're not in a hurry)

Comment

Debating which turkey method to use...1-cook upside down at 300 til the the breast hits 130, then flip and cook at 400 til breast hits 165 (about 4 hrs). 2-separate the thigh/legs from carcass, ditch backbone, debone thigh, cook leg/thigh and breast on top of stuffing till breast hits 180 (need to verify temp & time) 3-cook 1 hr at 350, lower oven to 185 and cook to 185 (24 hrs).

I've done 1 and like it, but the flip on a 24# turkey is fraught with danger and stuffing/unstuffing is messy, but 2 is appealing because you don't have to stuff and unstuff the bird and you can slice the thigh neatly (saw on America's Test Kitchen and I trust them). 3 appeals to me, it's similar to my my pulled pork method which turns out awesome. I'm leaning towards 2.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

First time using a frozen bird this yr. Until now always had a fresh bird that I brined. This yr the farm sold out early and I decided to forgo the huge bill of a fresh turkey. We will see. Significantly less work except for having to figure out how to thaw the thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X