Tennis...Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Why should a grand slam be any different than any other event? If it's a rule, it's a rule.

If the rule is unenforced for 99% of a tournament, and then all of a sudden, it's important- that's a problem. Rules are rules and should be enforced, sure, but they also need to be even and consistent to mean anything- otherwise, they are arbitrary ways to put yourself in a match that you are overseeing.

Same goes for the berating the umpire- the reactions should be consistent and even- regardless. If it's not- and "you are a thief" is somehow worse than "you are an (expletive)" that's a big problem, worse if that enforcement is biased to who someone is.
    The sums up the US in 2018: it’s someone else’s fault. She broke the rules and should take responsibility for it. Honestly, she knew after two code violations the next one was a game, why risk it? Especially after what happened with the lineswoman 10 years ago or so. What she did was no different than when Chris Webber called the timeout at the end of the national championship game.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: Tennis...Anyone?

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      The sums up the US in 2018: it’s someone else’s fault. She broke the rules and should take responsibility for it. Honestly, she knew after two code violations the next one was a game, why risk it? Especially after what happened with the lineswoman 10 years ago or so. What she did was no different than when Chris Webber called the timeout at the end of the national championship game.
      That comparison is just plain weird.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
        That comparison is just plain weird.
        Zadane at the end of the 2006 WC grand final?
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Depends: Were head butts like that generally overlooked and not penalized?

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
            Your take on my comments are interesting.

SHE didn't break the rules, her coach did, and she got penalized. Just to be clear there.

The only time she actually deserved a penalty was when she broke her racket (which I think is an odd rule- why are you not allowed to break your racket if you are angry? They have a limited number they are allowed to use- so if they break a good one, they lose out).

BTW, Chris Weber NEVER said that it was an unfair call that was never made in any other game, so I will also post that it's a pretty stupid comparison.

And you continue to miss the concept about consistent rule application- where the men can be far more abusive and not get penalized. Or that coaching rules need to be enforced for ALL players from round 1 to the end- or it's pointless. It's so lax that ALL coaches ignore it.

All you look at is her blaming someone else. So very typical of you. Which is the real factor here- most of the time, people have a genuine beef when they protest. You should bother to see that someday.

Comment

The coaching call was definitely questionable at best. I kinda felt it was the racket smash that really did it. If you go back and look at McEnroe's biggest tantrum at Stockholm in 1984, where he basically used his racket as a club, IIRC that's the first time he ever got a game penalty.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                The coaching call was definitely questionable at best. I kinda felt it was the racket smash that really did it. If you go back and look at McEnroe's biggest tantrum at Stockholm in 1984, where he basically used his racket as a club, IIRC that's the first time he ever got a game penalty.
                The racquet one is fine. It's the other 2 calls that are questionable at best.

Comment

Here is another perspective on it that a friend of mine who is a huge tennis (and Serena) fan, posted on FB. She also umpires some local matches in the Twin Cities.
                  Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                  Originally posted by Quizmire
                  mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                  MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                  MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                  I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                    Here is another perspective on it that a friend of mine who is a huge tennis (and Serena) fan, posted on FB. She also umpires some local matches in the Twin Cities.
                    From the article:
                    In August 2016 at the Olympics, Ramos called Andy Murray for a code violation for saying “stupid umpiring.”
                    LOL! What an arrogant wimp. Officials from practically any other sport (except maybe Rugby) would laugh at him for penalizing something like that.
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                      From the article:

LOL! What an arrogant wimp. Officials from practically any other sport (except maybe Rugby) would laugh at him for penalizing something like that.
                      Yeah, I laughed at that one too...

Even Joe West wouldn't toss you for that...

MNS - forking genius.

MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                        Yeah, I laughed at that one too...

Even Joe West wouldn't toss you for that...
                        I know soccer referees, at least in the US, are taught to talk to players in situations like that. Sarcasm, though not really encouraged, is acceptable. All time favorite story from a minor league game:

Player: “(Referee) you’re terrible! You’re never gonna be in MLS the way you ref!
                        Referee: “That’s alright, the way you play you’ll never be in MLS either so you might as well get use to me...”
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          My god your head is so far up your ***.
                          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

PS - Dumbest rule in tennis. So what if the coach communicates from the stands. You still must hit the ball.
                            I don't know -- It's really the same rule as golf. You can't receive advice from anyone else. (other than your caddy, if you have one.)

I think Martina has exactly the correct take on the Serena situation here.
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              I know soccer referees, at least in the US, are taught to talk to players in situations like that. Sarcasm, though not really encouraged, is acceptable. All time favorite story from a minor league game:

Player: “(Referee) you’re terrible! You’re never gonna be in MLS the way you ref!
                              Referee: “That’s alright, the way you play you’ll never be in MLS either so you might as well get use to me...”
                              I believe it. I reffed soccer for a summer, and in the training class one of the guys said the best way to handle upset coaches was to carry a BB gun and just shoot them if they get out of hand. Calm right down.

MNS - forking genius.

I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I would just crop dust the bench if I was an AR. Much more effective.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X