Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cord cutting - what service to buy after the cable co goes away

Disney is being pretty straight forward with their strategy... They got me hook/line/sinker...

Main things are the SIMPSONS (1st 11-12 seasons anyways), MARVEL, and Disney cartoons I'm nostalgic about... I'll get $70 of value from that in 2020...

Also worth noting: Think of it like a gym membership . How many people won't cancel when $6.99 becomes $7.99 then $9.99 and so on... BIG PICTURE here people
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
      As long as when the original trilogy come to Disney+ it has Han shooting first.

Wait, maybe I'm asking too much of Disney+ Programming. Han shooting first *and* Song of the South? Boy I'm going to be disappointed arent I?

The vault of cartoons I grew up with is what I really want. I wonder if the Afternoon Disney series will be available (original Duck Tales, TaleSpin, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers and the best of them: Darkwing Duck). (Also hope this means *all* their episodes, even the ones that they yanked from replays.)
      I'd like to see the original Walt Disney (wonderful world of color) Shows that ran on NBC in the 60s.

And the original Mickey Mouse Club with all the mini series.

Yes, I am an old fart.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post

Wait, maybe I'm asking too much of Disney+ Programming. Han shooting first *and* Song of the South? Boy I'm going to be disappointed arent I?

The vault of cartoons I grew up with is what I really want. I wonder if the Afternoon Disney series will be available (original Duck Tales, TaleSpin, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers and the best of them: Darkwing Duck). (Also hope this means *all* their episodes, even the ones that they yanked from replays.)
        More than likely you'll be able to watch those and more. Disney released a screenshot of the streaming service yesterday, and while 99% of attention was focused on how adorable the new Lady and The Tramp dogs are, an eagle-eyed fan said she was more excited to see the entire Lizzy McGuire series in the image. There will be an unfathomable amount of content in the Disney+ library.

One thing we're unlikely to see is the original Star Wars trilogy. Whether it was written into the contract or was a handshake deal, Disney is not releasing those non-specialized editions while Lucas is alive.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
          I'd like to see the original Walt Disney (wonderful world of color) Shows that ran on NBC in the 60s.

And the original Mickey Mouse Club with all the mini series.

Yes, I am an old fart.
          Annette, Cubby, and Roy! (Too young to have seen them, but my mother was a fan growing up)

And oohhh I forgot about the Wonderful World of Color. Local backwoods TV station used to air the syndicated replays. Was a game changer when that station actually became an ABC affiliate in the 90's. (They were Primary CBS, with NBC programming secondary, then became ABC with occasional NBC programming, then became solely NBC; weird station.)

The other backwoods station (solely NBC) we could get if we turned the antenna used to air the Dinsey Afternoon programming.
          Last edited by aparch; 04-12-2019, 12:22 PM.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            Bob Iger sees this streaming service as his legacy (as if the acquisition of Fox, Star Wars, etc aren't enough) and has set this price to guarantee as many subscribers as possible. The next Disney CEO will crank up the price.
            And now we know. Iger will step down when his contract expires at the end of 2021.

Comment

Since the Disney+ news broke yesterday the stock price has gone up almost 20%. I wish I had more shares.🙁

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                Since the Disney+ news broke yesterday the stock price has gone up almost 20%. I wish I had more shares.🙁
                Dammit, I wish I had shares.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

Oh god. If they have the Disney afternoon stuff I’m going to need a wellness check at some point.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Oh god. If they have the Disney afternoon stuff I’m going to need a wellness check at some point.
                    Why wouldn't they?

Comment

Why wouldn't they?
                      Because it’s disney
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Because it’s disney
                        Yeah, but Iger sees this as his legacy. He wants as many subscribers as possible. I expect them to make everything available.

Comment

Yeah, but Iger sees this as his legacy. He wants as many subscribers as possible. I expect them to make everything available.
                          I wonder how much they have archived though. I've never seen Gargoyles or Bonkers re-air after their initial runs in afternoon syndication. The Mighty Ducks cartoon was just short lived on Saturday mornings. How much of this do they have on tape in a vault that they can digitize, and how long will it take to digitize this stuff?

Also interested if the lesser known straight to Disney Channel movies will be on there, like Genius.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The irony is the Star Wars films are licensed to Turner for about $250 million until ~2022 and it isn't giving them back to Disney for any price. The Mouse House tried and Turner executives roared with laughter and then said, "Oh wait, you were serious?" then proceeded to laugh so hard they fell out of their chairs.
                            That is pretty funny
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

The cartoons are really the only thing I would really consider it for. I have the original original trilogy both physically and...errr...ummm...less than legally

That said my gf wants it so she is gonna pay for it anyways so I am stuck with it anyways
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                                Disney is being pretty straight forward with their strategy... They got me hook/line/sinker...

Main things are the SIMPSONS (1st 11-12 seasons anyways), MARVEL, and Disney cartoons I'm nostalgic about... I'll get $70 of value from that in 2020...

Also worth noting: Think of it like a gym membership . How many people won't cancel when $6.99 becomes $7.99 then $9.99 and so on... BIG PICTURE here people
                                I think we all know why Disney is doing it the way they are...doesnt help us much so why would the big picture matter to us? And the cancellation thing has changed over the years. People have been cancelling subscription services when the price changes happens. Not enough to really hurt the bottom line but when big networks and studios like this push too hard there will be blowback.

It is going to be interesting to see long term how well this works out for Disney. For the first few years they will make bank (and honestly they should keep the price low for that long at least) but I wonder how long people will stick with it if they dont have much need for the new content coming. It is interesting to watch as these change. I have the CBS streaming app mainly cause I like Star Trek: Discovery and hate commercials but if it doesnt expand beyond a few series I really enjoy (I am thinking Twilight Zone might be one but I am waiting a bit to watch that) I will probably cancel. I have the DC streaming app because of the various old cartoons I love, some movies and the new series but will I continue it if they dont keep making more I enjoy? I have Netflix and honestly half the time I wonder why outside of like 2 series and some comedy specials. A La carte will work for the companies if the consumer isnt discerning and never evaluates the cost benefit analysis. (like with cable) If people do become more watchful though since they can see the actual cost of each service it could be very fun to watch (from the outside) who struggles and who doesnt. And will say Hulu Live or YoutubeTV or Amazon Prime have access to them as well or not? (for an added fee of course)

It is going to be interesting to see what the landscape looks like in say 2022
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X