X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017-18 St. Cloud State Season Thread - Second Attempt

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    Spot on with his predictions too...
    Only thing he was close to right on is more Big Ten teams in the tourney than NCHC. Will take a bunch of upsets in conference tourneys to change that. Could happen, but probably wouldn't count on it.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
      Anyone remember like 6-7 years ago when some in our fan base were saying we should be happy we were staying in the WCHA and not going to the NCHC cuz that wasn't what was best for us? Then we win the Penrose two of the first five years, are the first school to win the NCHC regular season and postseason tournament, and in the first four years of the postseason tournament we have made it to the championship game? No? Just me?

Forget about our own Pairwise for a second... anyone else feel like these games are huge bc we need to do everything we can to rub out UND from the NCAA tournament? I really am hoping SCSU ends up in Sioux Falls but am much less excited about it if UND ends up there too... North Dakota isn't as good of a team but they seem like the kind of mediocre team that with the crowd behind them could pull off the upset. If they sweep the #1 team in the nation that's a huge boost to their PWR and on the other hand if SCSU sweeps it likely would cause UND to have to go on the road for the NCHC playoffs. I just have the feeling that if they make it in they are a #4 seed and if SCSU finishes as one of the top two teams they deserve to go to Sioux Falls but they don't deserve to play UND in the first round to do it (though the committee wouldn't want an NCHC conference match up in the first round so we'd probably get sent out east).

Also... since when is Allentown, PA in the Midwest?!?
      In the years they didn't win there were two 6th place finishes to go along with a 2nd. Put those teams in the WCHA and they definitely would have won the titles they did and quite possibly the three they didn't. I definitely prefer them being in the better league and they have earned their spot for sure. But at the time the league formed, seeing them as a top 2-3 team on a yearly basis didn't seem likely.

Would have liked to have swept UND this past weekend. That would have put them in pretty much a win the conference tourney or out scenario. I still hate the whole host school BS that comes with the big tournament. SCSU with wins this weekend (and possibly without) is the #1 overall seed. They'll get rewarded for that by being sent east to play the AHA champ instead of a shorter bus ride out to South Dakota. Can't go to the other "western" regional because of Penn State.

I get how money drives the whole tournament and really the only two schools that have the financial ability to bid regionals here are UND and Minnesota. And they get rewarded with home games essentially regardless of their performance on the ice. I'd like to see a change to the format but understand the challenges that come with moving to actual home ice or changing the financials behind hosting a regional.

Oh well, beat Miami and get another shot at UND and then some hardware after that.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSUBlackandRed View Post
        In the years they didn't win there were two 6th place finishes to go along with a 2nd. Put those teams in the WCHA and they definitely would have won the titles they did and quite possibly the three they didn't. I definitely prefer them being in the better league and they have earned their spot for sure. But at the time the league formed, seeing them as a top 2-3 team on a yearly basis didn't seem likely.

Would have liked to have swept UND this past weekend. That would have put them in pretty much a win the conference tourney or out scenario. I still hate the whole host school BS that comes with the big tournament. SCSU with wins this weekend (and possibly without) is the #1 overall seed. They'll get rewarded for that by being sent east to play the AHA champ instead of a shorter bus ride out to South Dakota. Can't go to the other "western" regional because of Penn State.

I get how money drives the whole tournament and really the only two schools that have the financial ability to bid regionals here are UND and Minnesota. And they get rewarded with home games essentially regardless of their performance on the ice. I'd like to see a change to the format but understand the challenges that come with moving to actual home ice or changing the financials behind hosting a regional.

Oh well, beat Miami and get another shot at UND and then some hardware after that.
        You mean get another shot at UNO. Zach Jordan will have a monster series, Mavericks end UND'S season and we get UNO at the X unless there's another upset (maybe Western?).
        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

You mean get another shot at UNO. Zach Jordan will have a monster series, Mavericks end UND'S season and we get UNO at the X unless there's another upset (maybe Western?).
          Has UNO ever won a first round series in either the WCHA or NCHC? With UND's season on the line, I think they'll get past the Red Cows.

Comment

Has UNO ever won a first round series in either the WCHA or NCHC? With UND's season on the line, I think they'll get past the Red Cows.
            Nope, last time they won a conference tournament series was 2010 vs Bowling Green in the CCHA. But UNO'S season is on the line too, the lower of the series at the Ralph is almost assuredly done. I don't see that as any sort of advantage to UND; it's do or die for both

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

Comment

Nope, last time they won a conference tournament series was 2010 vs Bowling Green in the CCHA. But UNO'S season is on the line too, the lower of the series at the Ralph is almost assuredly done. I don't see that as any sort of advantage to UND; it's do or die for both
              Yes, agree. I'd give UND a bit of an edge for being at home, though. And their history as well. I didn't realize Pope was back (David Pope, not THE Pope) and that definitely gives UNO a shot. I thought he was out for the year. I think the UND/UNO series is the only one that has a real chance of not going chalk. I just don't think Western has enough to get past UMD, same thing for CC at Denver. Think we'll have three sweeps and then UND/UNO goes three games.

Comment

Yes, agree. I'd give UND a bit of an edge for being at home, though. And their history as well. I didn't realize Pope was back (David Pope, not THE Pope) and that definitely gives UNO a shot. I thought he was out for the year. I think the UND/UNO series is the only one that has a real chance of not going chalk. I just don't think Western has enough to get past UMD, same thing for CC at Denver. Think we'll have three sweeps and then UND/UNO goes three games.
                I think tUMD wins but does so on Sunday, and I have UNO advancing to the X. Also wouldn't be surprised if CC forces three but can't see them advancing.

Comment

The ****ing playoffs have started...apparently we don't care
                  "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                  -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                  Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                  Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                  Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                  Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                    The ****ing playoffs have started...apparently we don't care
                    They better care the next 20 or no St. Paul for them
                    Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Miami played pretty well and were fighting for their life. Not going to use the "lack of effort" to explain an OT loss.
                      Originally posted by SJHovey
                      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                      Originally posted by Brenthoven
                      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                        Miami played pretty well and were fighting for their life. Not going to use the "lack of effort" to explain an OT loss.
                        No...but their were massive lack of execution issues...especially the 1st period in every game.
                        This team trusts their ability to come back but man they can't keep doing it and survive.
                        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

I made it to the game on Saturday night, so I got to see some missed passes, and players blowing a wheel when making tight turns. A few things to note on Saturday's game:

1) They took off the first 5:00 of the first period, and it killed them.
                          2) Passes were off, but not by much, for most of the night. The problem is that "not by much" is the difference between a solid breakout and fore check and a turnover with transition.
                          3) That ice had some deep grooves, and the players on both sides had some issues getting the puck to sit down for them. It also caused a few untouched crashes, mostly on SCSU's part.
                          4) Emo fan boys sitting behind me can bite the big one. "They guys suck!" "What are they doing?!" "How can they not make that pass?!" All said in the whiniest voices ever. And they look like they've never stepped onto the ice once in their lives, matching their comments all game long.
                          5) You have two teams of highly skilled players - ours being a decent bit more highly skilled than Miami's, and games are going to be played tight. The problem is, Miami was playing for their season to continue while our boys looked like they were playing just another regular season game. We weren't hitting enough, but we were getting hit more than enough.
                          6) Those refs had me shaking my head more than once. Calls made both ways cause a lot of confusion amongst even the non-fan boys in my section.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            I made it to the game on Saturday night, so I got to see some missed passes, and players blowing a wheel when making tight turns. A few things to note on Saturday's game:

1) They took off the first 5:00 of the first period, and it killed them.
                            2) Passes were off, but not by much, for most of the night. The problem is that "not by much" is the difference between a solid breakout and fore check and a turnover with transition.
                            3) That ice had some deep grooves, and the players on both sides had some issues getting the puck to sit down for them. It also caused a few untouched crashes, mostly on SCSU's part.
                            4) Emo fan boys sitting behind me can bite the big one. "They guys suck!" "What are they doing?!" "How can they not make that pass?!" All said in the whiniest voices ever. And they look like they've never stepped onto the ice once in their lives, matching their comments all game long.
                            5) You have two teams of highly skilled players - ours being a decent bit more highly skilled than Miami's, and games are going to be played tight. The problem is, Miami was playing for their season to continue while our boys looked like they were playing just another regular season game. We weren't hitting enough, but we were getting hit more than enough.
                            6) Those refs had me shaking my head more than once. Calls made both ways cause a lot of confusion amongst even the non-fan boys in my section.
                            Thanks for the recap. Just about made for a less fun weekend at the X. Hope when they see all the green on Friday afternoon they'll remember this is the playoffs. They have a chance to put a serious dagger in the NCAA chances for UND. I would think knowing that a win on Friday locks down the overall #1 seed as well as likely playing in Sioux Falls instead of out east would be enough motivation to turn it up a notch or two. Also looks like a loss on Friday but a win in the consolation game Saturday still gets the Huskies the overall #1 seed. But the Green Plague would likely be in the tourney therefore shipping the Huskies out east. Don't think it affects the team as much but I'd sure like to make the drive out to Sioux Falls vs. not being able to go to Bridgeport or Worcester.

Comment

What channel are the games gonna be on?

Comment

What channel are the games gonna be on?
                                CBS Sports Network is 412 and 807 on Spectrum/Charter

DirecTV: channel 221; Dish: 158; Verizon Fios: 94. XFinity: 734 Xfinity MPLS 735 Xfinity/Comcast Brooklyn Center 274, 735
                                FiberNet Monticello
                                CHANNEL
                                Midcontinent Cable
                                CHANNEL
                                CenturyLink
                                CHANNEL
                                FuboTV
                                Hulu
                                YouTubeTV

Put your zipcode in here...
                                https://www.cbssportsnetwork.com/
                                Last edited by hockeykrazy; 03-12-2018, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X