Olympic women's hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Olympic women's hockey

And to US viewers: How did Bonhomme and Lawler manage their respective selves during and after the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
      (and he's a great fan of the game) needs to differentiate itself from men's hockey in order to increase public interest...(peripheral observation: there were still quite a few empty seats during last night's game...anyone know the seating capacity?...nice arena by the way)

I'm seeing a seating capacity of around 6,000 for the arena. Published attendance figure for last night was 4,467, so about 74% capacity.

As for your friend's proposal, I'd like to see an exhibition done that way. It would likely bring some more scoring. But I don't think the change would draw in more than it might alienate as fans...
      Last edited by Scott_TG; 02-22-2018, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Got a friend who is of the opinion that women's hockey (and he's a great fan of the game) needs to differentiate itself from men's hockey in order to increase public interest...(peripheral observation: there were still quite a few empty seats during last night's game...anyone know the seating capacity?...nice arena by the way) in order for the game to grow.

Not to shock or offend anyone's sensibilities he just told me that his solution would be: 1st period = 5 on 5; 2nd period = 4 on 4; 3rd period = 3 on 3.

There's pros and cons to everything in life including that suggestion but radical change is often what is needed to get people's attention...actually, from a marketing point of view, it is a very effective way to get their attention...shock them into paying attention.

People will usually bad mouth radical change because it is different from the only thing or way of doing things that they've ever known (somehow mistakenly believing that the way things have "always" been done are part of the cosmic firmament). Familiarity bias.

Any thoughts or opinions on his suggestion?
        How about we have a puck toss at center ice, heads tails. Winner of the toss gets to go on offense 5 skaters or defense 4 skaters for period 1 and the first 10 min of period 2 and then switch for the last 10 min of period 2 and for all of period 3. May the best power play win.
        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

If this game had been shown live, prime time in the USA, with all the attendant background hype, it would have been a millennials’ miracle on ice. No need to change a thing. But little obstacles like producers, sponsors and time zones interfere. More of same in Beijing.
          Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 02-22-2018, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
            Couldn't have said it better myself (although I'd also add M Lam to that). I'm even thinking of campaigning for picture of just the 2 of them (they're in the Gopher team photo of 2009) on a wall at Ridder. In their USA uniforms, of course.
            I'll give you my vote! I guess there's a lot of fans who think their blood still runs green, but they did have great frosh seasons here. Can't they be with our "Olympians"? They sure aren't going to get much exposure in the Ralph, since the team they deserted us for vanished. We seem to be pretty open accepting a lot of other refugees here in MN, how about M+J?

Comment

There's pros and cons to everything in life including that suggestion but radical change is often what is needed to get people's attention...actually, from a marketing point of view, it is a very effective way to get their attention...shock them into paying attention.
              If you have to destroy the integrity of the game to get people interested, then you've got bigger problems - and far more often than not doing dumb gimmicks like that hurt you in the long run.

Ending a game like that on a shootout is bad enough....

(peripheral observation: there were still quite a few empty seats during last night's game...anyone know the seating capacity?...nice arena by the way)
              I've noticed a ton of empty seats for every single event, in every sport, I've watched these Olympics. There have been some ski/snowboard events in particular where the bleachers have been almost completely empty. Not sure what's going on, but that seems like a larger issue with these entire olympic games.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
                I've noticed a ton of empty seats for every single event, in every sport, I've watched these Olympics.
                I agree with this. Many events have been outside, and it is possible that the good folks of South Korea don't want to sit outside in the winds that were causing early postponements. Or it could be that the price isn't right after all. Women's hockey is definitely not alone when it comes to empty seats in 2018.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  I agree with this. Many events have been outside, and it is possible that the good folks of South Korea don't want to sit outside in the winds that were causing early postponements. Or it could be that the price isn't right after all. Women's hockey is definitely not alone when it comes to empty seats in 2018.
                  With all due respect, you got more than this. Wanna weigh in on this game?
                  Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 02-22-2018, 06:44 PM. Reason: still guilt

Comment

We can't worry about what might have been, it was another fantastic game in the Canada/US series and even though I didn't climb into bed until 2:20am it was well worth it. One comment on Olympic hockey generally, shoot outs are fine except for the final. In the gold medal game let them play till no one can go on. One additional comment on the women's game. I am a big lacrosse fan as well and I hate that the women's game is entirely different so you can't envision the players being as skillful as men. In hockey we can compare and be amazed which we do. The only change I would consider making is to possibly allow defenders to check in their own defensive zone. They do it now in college and international play only they have to somewhat disguise it so bring it out of the closet for a trial season and then see if injuries/concussions rise to any great degree and either implement it or not. Offensively nothing is needed. That winning shootout goal last night was world class at every level....

Comment

And to US viewers: How did Bonhomme and Lawler manage their respective selves during and after the game?
                      I thought they were great the whole Olympics. During the game, is was interesting how they almost mirrored what was happening on the ice. Tessa was relaxed and confident whereas Erika seemed nervous and tense. After the game, you could see the elation in Erika. Tessa was very gracious and complimentary of the US team and Canada as well, not to mention both thought it was a great game between the two teams. Overall, I thought Tessa was more polished and articulate than Erika (yeah, yeah, she is a former Buckeye and I am biased), but I thoroughly enjoyed the back & forth between them the entire Olympics. It was nice to see Tessa on the NBCSN team. We don't get to see her much down here unless we are watching a Leafs or Sens game on one of the Canadian stations (via DirecTV NHL Center Ice) and she is on during the intermissions. We did get to see her in person at Women's Worlds in Plymouth last April and we also get to see her in the fall when she comes back to tOSU for Alumni Weekend. But yeah, to answer the question, I thought they were great the entire Olympics.

Comment

I thought Bonhomme was excellent with her words and presense. Lawler does not seem cut out for this line of work. She would start a sentence, look up, look down, sideways...pause, say two words, pause, say "uhm", say a few more words, pause, more "uhm". I was uncomfortable for her watching her try to articulate her thoughts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeyhub View Post
                          I thought Bonhomme was excellent with her words and presense. Lawler does not seem cut out for this line of work. She would start a sentence, look up, look down, sideways...pause, say two words, pause, say "uhm", say a few more words, pause, more "uhm". I was uncomfortable for her watching her try to articulate her thoughts.
                          You said it much more politely than I did earlier in the games. She was awful and I doubt NBC will seek her out in the future. Did they even bother putting her through any screen testing beforehand? Doesn't seem like it. I was embarrassed for her too.

Comment

Originally posted by drewkal View Post
                            I'll give you my vote! I guess there's a lot of fans who think their blood still runs green, but they did have great frosh seasons here. Can't they be with our "Olympians"? They sure aren't going to get much exposure in the Ralph, since the team they deserted us for vanished. We seem to be pretty open accepting a lot of other refugees here in MN, how about M+J?
                            Loved your refugee comment about the Lams. They should be in photos on the wall with our other Olympians. When they played in the 2010 Olympics the only college they had played for was Minnesota. Maybe now that they've won gold medals their photos would be a little more accepted inside Ridder arena. I guess I wouldn't hold my breath though.
                            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

• Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                              Loved your refugee comment about the Lams. They should be in photos on the wall with our other Olympians. When they played in the 2010 Olympics the only college they had played for was Minnesota. Maybe now that they've won gold medals their photos would be a little more accepted inside Ridder arena. I guess I wouldn't hold my breath though.
                              From the dictionary:

"An alumna (in Latin a feminine noun) refers to a female graduate or former student; the plural is alumnae."

The key words are OR FORMER STUDENT. The Lams fit the definition and should be up on the wall. To give them their full credit, being one of many who has criticized them in the past, I willingly state there would be no Gold medal without them. I say that not just because of their key goals but because of how they played....hard, gritty, and with the necessary passion to try to win when most of the team was not playing well at all. Withoit a doubt, they were the catalyst that lead to victory!

Comment

That game was well worth staying up for! Glad I did. I do agree with those above who said they should do sudden death and not shootout. It was two great teams playing.

I did think the officiating lacked a little something. It would be hard to recruit referees with 7 fingers so they could count the players on the ice as at times it appeared that Canada had 6 skaters and a goalie out there. I have yet to figure out how the refs missed the Poulin on Decker hit. Despite the NY Tmes to certainly looked like a very hard elbow to me. Hard enough to leave Decker with a cut on the bridge of her nose. You would have to hit hard to drive the cage that far back onto her face. I think contact to the head like that requires a 5 minute Major plus a misconduct but one of you may have better information on the rule,

I was very pleased to see that one of the medal presenters was Angela Ruggiero. Awesome when she played with 4 Olympics under her belt. I am happy she is member off the IOC.

As to a bump to interest in women's hockey?? The problem is to a large degree the TV coverage. The TV networks seem to prefer to show snowboarding, figure skating, extreme skiing, skiing, snowboarding , curling and did I mention snowboarding. Also, the location was a problem. Timezone changes meant that I had to set my alarm for 2AM and 4AM and the gawdawful hours to watch hockey. The same problem exists to getting fans into seats in the arena. Tickets to the events are expensive and the flights are very expensive. Four members of the family across the street from me flew over to watch their son/brother play hockey and they told me it involved 14 hour flights. Given their faces when their son scored goals I gather the effort was worth it. Most fans and participants in winter sports are from Europe and North America and Pyeongchang is a long an expensive trip from either area. One evening, as I was setting my alarm for 2:30AM so I could watch hockey I thought, "well the next Olympics should be somewhere else and the time zone will be better" I looked it up and the next games are in China!!!
                                Last edited by Veritas; 02-23-2018, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X