Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D1 Recruits Thread

Originally posted by Ahockeydad View Post
    Interesting. Who is headlining their class? Anyone know the top class for 2020?
    NZ has Allyson Simpson as their 4th ranked player, tops for Colgate...Maggie MacEachern is also in their top ten.

Again FWIW, according to NZ, the top class for 2020 is Minnesota.
    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 05-02-2019, 08:51 AM.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
      Again FWIW, according to NZ, the top class for 2020 is Minnesota.
      It's better than UW's Webster, Wheeler and O'Brien? Now I have confirmed it is a flawed system.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        It's better than UW's Webster, Wheeler and O'Brien?
        Such a question...You have maybe seen 1, possibly 2 of Minnesota's recruits on a very limited basis (which if you're being honest, is true of the BADgers recruits as well) so la-de-frickin-da to your so called confirmed.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          Such a question...You have maybe seen 1, possibly 2 of Minnesota's recruits on a very limited basis (which if you're being honest, is true of the BADgers recruits as well) so la-de-frickin-da to your so called confirmed.
          I have seen Webster and O'Brien play, I haven't see Wheeler but have read nice things about her. As far as rodent recruits, I don't really try and pay that much attention to them.

I think the NZ bases part of the ranking on the number of recruits, not necessarily the quality, but I have not confirmed this yet and no one who is subscribed as offered any insight as of yet.

Comment

I have seen Webster and O'Brien play, I haven't see Wheeler but have read nice things about her. As far as rodent recruits, I don't really try and pay that much attention to them.

I think the NZ bases part of the ranking on the number of recruits, not necessarily the quality, but I have not confirmed this yet and no one who is subscribed as offered any insight as of yet.
            It is based on both quality of recruits and number of recruits. The average rating of Wisconsin's 3 recruits is 4.75. The total points assigned to Wisconsin's recruiting class is 1628.96. Minnesota has 7 recruits listed with an average rating of 4.38. The total points assigned to MN's recruiting class is 2579.74.

Other than Wisconsin, no one in the top 15 ranked recruiting classes has fewer than 4 recruits. The two schools with 4 recruits are ranked at 13th and 15th. Of the top 7 recruiting classes, four schools have 7 recruits, two have 6, and Wisconsin has 3.

There is a link titled "How do we calculating these ratings," but it doesn't go anywhere.

Comment

They add up their value of each recruit to get a total for each college's class. It thus is biased in favor of large classes. OTOH, the top recruits are worth a lot more than somewhat lower ones. Furthermore, and this is much more of a problem with men's recruits, they have assigned quite a few recruits to the wrong year's class. There also are some recruits who have never been evaluated; the majority being Europeans, and they are ignored.

I subscribe and enjoy reading the reviews, but I think that the class rankings are mainly for publicity purposes.

Edit: And as usual, I type too slowly.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by mattj711 View Post
                It is based on both quality of recruits and number of recruits. The average rating of Wisconsin's 3 recruits is 4.75. The total points assigned to Wisconsin's recruiting class is 1628.96. Minnesota has 7 recruits listed with an average rating of 4.38. The total points assigned to MN's recruiting class is 2579.74.

Other than Wisconsin, no one in the top 15 ranked recruiting classes has fewer than 4 recruits. The two schools with 4 recruits are ranked at 13th and 15th. Of the top 7 recruiting classes, four schools have 7 recruits, two have 6, and Wisconsin has 3.

There is a link titled "How do we calculating these ratings," but it doesn't go anywhere.
                Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                They add up their value of each recruit to get a total for each college's class. It thus is biased in favor of large classes. OTOH, the top recruits are worth a lot more than somewhat lower ones. Furthermore, and this is much more of a problem with men's recruits, they have assigned quite a few recruits to the wrong year's class. There also are some recruits who have never been evaluated; the majority being Europeans, and they are ignored.

I subscribe and enjoy reading the reviews, but I think that the class rankings are mainly for publicity purposes.

Edit: And as usual, I type too slowly.
                Thanks for the info troops. From what I had gleaned the number of recruits had to be part of the equation, which in reality is weak sauce.

Comment

Thanks for the info troops. From what I had gleaned the number of recruits had to be part of the equation, which in reality is weak sauce.
                  Of course number of recruits impacts the strength of the recruiting class....it's a mathematical formula rather than weak sauce.

We are talking about an indicator that NZ is putting out there for everyone to debate all day...the proof will be how the particular players within each recruiting class will ultimately impact their respective programs. I would venture to say that whether your No. 1 or No. 5, they are all strong recruits coming in and even after the first season, we may not be able to say who was No. 1.

But, if a college has 1 recruit, they can hardly be considered the strongest incoming class so number of recruits is definitely a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by WH Fan View Post
                    But, if a college has 1 recruit, they can hardly be considered the strongest incoming class so number of recruits is definitely a factor.
                    What if that one recruit was Ditka?
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      What if that one recruit was Ditka?
                      Ditka has a granddaughter?

Comment

Originally posted by WH Fan View Post
                        Of course number of recruits impacts the strength of the recruiting class....it's a mathematical formula rather than weak sauce.

We are talking about an indicator that NZ is putting out there for everyone to debate all day...the proof will be how the particular players within each recruiting class will ultimately impact their respective programs. I would venture to say that whether your No. 1 or No. 5, they are all strong recruits coming in and even after the first season, we may not be able to say who was No. 1.

One player vs X is a bit extreme of an analogy. Every coach in the country would give their left arm and their whole class of that year for UW's recruits for next season. The eye test > math.

Comment

It's better than UW's Webster, Wheeler and O'Brien? Now I have confirmed it is a flawed system.
                          maybe their games do not translate to the college game.

Minnesota has MURPHY and Addie Burton coming in 2020. Those are girls that play at a USA level too.
                          Last edited by Ahockeydad; 05-13-2019, 10:22 PM.
                          Pass the puck

Comment

Originally posted by Ahockeydad View Post
                            Minnesota has MURPHY and Addie Burton coming in 2020. Those are girls that play at a USA level too.
                            As does Maggie Nicholson...

Comment

O'Brien (F), Webster (F), & Wheeler (F)

or

Murphy (F), Burton (F), A. Wethington (F), T. Jungels (F), & Nicholson (D)

???

I am not a GM or college coach. I have seen all but Wheeler play more than several times over the past 3 years and have seen Wheeler online and in person at NAHA. I believe that most coaches and myself would choose the 5 MN commits over the 3 WI commits. Arguably Murphy & Nicholson are even with any 2/3 WI commits. Then you could have Burton/Wethington/Jungels or the last WI commit? Give me 3-4 star commits over 1-5 star with all playing another year of HS and then 4 years of college.

Comment

Originally posted by used2lurk View Post
                                O'Brien (F), Webster (F), & Wheeler (F)

or

Murphy (F), Burton (F), A. Wethington (F), T. Jungels (F), & Nicholson (D)

???

I am not a GM or college coach. I have seen all but Wheeler play more than several times over the past 3 years and have seen Wheeler online and in person at NAHA. I believe that most coaches and myself would choose the 5 MN commits over the 3 WI commits. Arguably Murphy & Nicholson are even with any 2/3 WI commits. Then you could have Burton/Wethington/Jungels or the last WI commit? Give me 3-4 star commits over 1-5 star with all playing another year of HS and then 4 years of college.
                                Excellent comments. I believe that Webster and O'Brien can carry a team to the promised land the way that Pankowski did this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X