• Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting Vol. XXXIV: Go pick me out a winner, Strand

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting Vol. XXXIV: Go pick me out a winner, Strand

Nice thread start, Chuck, thanks for posting the charts.

On the D3 transfer thing-- I think your mistake was in not reading the same web page I did. The one that lists Football, Basketball, and Baseball as the only not eligible D1 sports for a one time transfer exception. It leaves off Men's Hockey for some reason. If the NCAA and everyone else would just read the same page I did there would be no problem!

As it stands the only real way is if a student athlete has earned a degree and still has eligibility left. So that probably moves the chances for something like that happening from my original 1% thinking down to .01 %. On the other hand I have a 14 year old daughter that I feel could probably earn a degree in philosophy or something over the summer.

XYZ points out that transfers also can lose a year of eligibility. That is true, although it depends. In some cases the year in residence can be counted as a red shirt year, preserving actual playing years.

In any case I still see a much bigger need at a D yet this year than anything. Even if things go well injury wise this year, with Berkovitz a bit of a question mark yet for next year, having another D with a year under their belt can only be a positive I'd think.

DPlaya brought up Brett Gruber as a prospect to pursue. I like that fact that he's a goal scorer and not just a set up guy. On the other hand at 5'7" he's still a bit of a question mark. Small guys can certainly play, (Grimaldi, Johhny Hockey, etc.) But for everyone of those guys there's quite a few that can't cut it at the next level physically. Anecdotal, but if you look into the top 20 or so BCHL scorers that moved on to NCAA last year, the ones that were really able to contribute were the guys that were 6'+ and 185# +. Guys like Landon Smith with 31pts. @ Q and Brad McClure with 29 pts @ Mn. St. last year. Some of the smaller guys had a harder time, which isn't to say they won't be good down the line. Cameron Hughes has the skills but he struggled a lot against bigger stronger players. He's going to be a star when his body catches up. (Hopefully this year) Small guys don't have the luxury of making as big of physical gains, so in a way, they have to be good enough to compete at the next level from the start. Is Gruber that kind of guy? I have no idea. But he certainly has been impressive this last year. Eaves has said he's going to revamp his recruiting philosophy a bit. Be interesting to see if that would include a guy like Gruber who it seems to me, wouldn't normally be his type of prospect.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Licari was a beast and he was a little guy. Same thing with Patrick Johnson. Not afraid to mix it up.

I think those kind of energy guys like that are great. I don't know why size is important, it's attitude and work ethic.
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Nick Licari was a tank. Patty Johnson fell off a cliff imo when he got injured. Was never the same after.

Really appreciate the recruiting charts being posted! Thanks Chuck!
        Last edited by IndianaBadger1995; 06-09-2015, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Brett Gruber is not a little energy guy.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
            Licari was a beast and he was a little guy. Same thing with Patrick Johnson. Not afraid to mix it up.

I think those kind of energy guys like that are great. I don't know why size is important, it's attitude and work ethic.
            exactly
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
              Brett Gruber is not a little energy guy.
              Sounds like just the kind of guy I would like to watch.
              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                Sounds like just the kind of guy I would like to watch.
                I read that as he's not a little, energy guy.

Comment

Sorry I have been out of things for a few weeks on vacation...this Will Johnson kid, how good is he?
                  Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                  Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                  Originally posted by UWisco
                  It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                    Sorry I have been out of things for a few weeks on vacation...this Will Johnson kid, how good is he?
                    A solid find for this close to the season.
                    WISCONSIN BADGERS
                    NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                    WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                    WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                    B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                    Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                      A solid find for this close to the season.
                      I assumed that much, especially if minnesota had offered for 2016. I just want to know if there is a chance he makes an impact ASAP.

And how are there still 2 spots to fill....
                      Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                      Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                      Originally posted by UWisco
                      It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                        I assumed that much, especially if minnesota had offered for 2016. I just want to know if there is a chance he makes an impact ASAP.

And how are there still 2 spots to fill....
                        He'll be in the loop right away.
                        WISCONSIN BADGERS
                        NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                        WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                        WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                        B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                        Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Here's a name: Mattias Goransson. I can't find where he's actually signed a NLI, which is of course the key, but he's committed to UMass- Lowell. 20 year old from Sweden, 6' 3" 195, played for JB Bittner at Tri City last year. 7g 21a in 57 gp. Being from Sweden he's probably very comfortable on a big sheet of ice. Perhaps the kind of D insurance policy UW could use?
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                            Here's a name: Mattias Goransson. I can't find where he's actually signed a NLI, which is of course the key, but he's committed to UMass- Lowell. 20 year old from Sweden, 6' 3" 195, played for JB Bittner at Tri City last year. 7g 21a in 57 gp. Being from Sweden he's probably very comfortable on a big sheet of ice. Perhaps the kind of D insurance policy UW could use?
                            I'd be very surpised if he hasn't already signed his LOI. If you're looking at potential committed players, think Ivy and/or kids committed for 2016 that can be brought in early. 2015 commits are all signed right now.
                            Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 06-11-2015, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                              I'd be very surpised if he hasn't already signed his LOI. If you're looking at potential committed players, think Ivy and/or kids committed for 2016 that can be brought in early. 2015 commits are all signed right now.
                              Right, but I tend to specialize in suggestions that are at best, 1% possibilities. Then if I ever hit on one I gloat for years about what a genius I am. Nobody really pays attention to the 99 times I was wrong anyway.

Btw- Do you guys remember that one time I predicted Troy Ward would be the next Caps coach?
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                              X