X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Not what I'd call "timely."

We should get the Iran-Contra movie in about 2030.
    I'm only watching that if Seth MacFarlane fleshes out the Ollie North song into a full movie. But, we all know it will be Oliver Stone, who will lick Reagan's boots and make North the lone villain.

You really think they would've made a Chappaquiddick movie while Teddy was still alive? The Kennedy family would've poutraged for months, threatened legal action, garnered media sympathy for 'the poor, tragic Kennedy family' and can't we just leave them alone? Etc.

No, this is a movie that could've only happened well after his death.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 12-21-2017, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• Re: Movies! The Last Jedi: Ragnarok

The Irishman. DeNiro and Pesci reunited with Scorsese. Throw in Pacino and it looks like it might be pretty good. I thought it was a remake of "Kill the Irishman" at first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIP6Lg3PeTg
      A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
        The Irishman. DeNiro and Pesci reunited with Scorsese. Throw in Pacino and it looks like it might be pretty good. I thought it was a remake of "Kill the Irishman" at first.

I'll have to check that out, and thankfully it's NOT a remake of Kill The Irishman, as that movie was as well done as it could be. LOVE that movie.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          I'll have to check that out, and thankfully it's NOT a remake of Kill The Irishman, as that movie was as well done as it could be. LOVE that movie.
          Me too. Don't think anyone else could have played Danny Greene other than Ray Stevenson.

Comment

Me too. Don't think anyone else could have played Danny Greene other than Ray Stevenson.
            Kilmer and Walken nailed their roles, D'Onofrio was excellent, and what's his face as the other mob boss was awesome.

Of course, Paul Sorvino as a bonus was nice.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Kilmer and Walken nailed their roles, D'Onofrio was excellent, and what's his face as the other mob boss was awesome.

Of course, Paul Sorvino as a bonus was nice.
              and what's his face as the other mob boss was awesome.
              Haven't seen it in a loong time but it might be Tony LoBianco. Robert Davi as the bomber was perfect casting too.

Comment

Haven't seen it in a loong time but it might be Tony LoBianco. Robert Davi as the bomber was perfect casting too.
                I did look it up, it was Lo Bianco. And yes, Robert Davi had the right look. Goddammit gonna have to watch it yet again when I get home. Thanks, jerkface.

And how could we forget Fionnula Flanagan?!

Comment

I did look it up, it was Lo Bianco. And yes, Robert Davi had the right look. Goddammit gonna have to watch it yet again when I get home. Thanks, jerkface.

And how could we forget Fionnula Flanagan?!
                  Enjoy. I ordered it on blu ray when I got home from work.

Flanagan wasn't a bad looking gal back in the day.

Comment

Enjoy. I ordered it on blu ray when I got home from work.
                    Yep, bought it the day after I saw it on Netflix. Comes with the actual documentary, also (at least it should; mine did).

It really is the Irish Goodfellas movie, with how true to the real story it is.

Edit: you are correct on Ms Flanagan.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post

Also Harvey Keitel.

The book "I Heard You Paint Houses" is absolutely fantastic. Frank Sheeran spent 400+ days in active combat in Anzio and other hells.

Then when he returns home he meets Russell Bufalino and later Jimmy Hoffa...this book is as honest and brutal as Joseph Pistone's and Henry Hill's books.

To say I'm looking forward to this movie (and I'll watch anything Scorsese directs of course) is a huge understatement.
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        Also Harvey Keitel.

The book "I Heard You Paint Houses" is absolutely fantastic. Frank Sheeran spent 400+ days in active combat in Anzio and other hells.

Then when he returns home he meets Russell Bufalino and later Jimmy Hoffa...this book is as honest and brutal as Joseph Pistone's and Henry Hill's books.

To say I'm looking forward to this movie (and I'll watch anything Scorsese directs of course) is a huge understatement.
                        To paraphrase Leo in Django Unchained:
                        At first you had my curiosity, now you have my interest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          To paraphrase Leo in Django Unchained:
                          At first you had my curiosity, now you have my interest.
                          😀
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

One of the trailers we saw at the theater earlier this week was for a Disney version of A Wrinkle in Time.

I really liked that book as a teen, and when I re-read it years later with my children, I liked it even more.

The few moments of Camezot seen onscreen looked like they captured that detail perfectly at least; but I'm not so sure of the rest of it.

Madeleine L'Engle's Christian faith (she nominally was Episcopalian) undergirds all her novels, and Disney is not known for its spirituality. It will be interesting to see if they can pull it off or not.

I must admit that Disney did a decent job with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and the source text was a lot more explicitly spiritual than anything L'Engle wrote.
                            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              One of the trailers we saw at the theater earlier this week was for a Disney version of A Wrinkle in Time.

I really liked that book as a teen, and when I re-read it years later with my children, I liked it even more.

The few moments of Camezot seen onscreen looked like they captured that detail perfectly at least; but I'm not so sure of the rest of it.

Madeleine L'Engle's Christian faith (she nominally was Episcopalian) undergirds all her novels, and Disney is not known for its spirituality. It will be interesting to see if they can pull it off or not.

I must admit that Disney did a decent job with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and the source text was a lot more explicitly spiritual than anything L'Engle wrote.
                              I'm worried about it because it is such a wonderful, subtle book. To put it even within the same discussion of Lewis' ham-fisted polemical cudgel is a disservice. Also, the casting is pure Hollywood tripe. Chris Pine? Oprah F-cking Winfrey?

We'll see what we get.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Watching I, Tonya. It’s really good. My only issue with Margot Robbie playing Tonya Harding is that I think she’s way too tall for the role.

Comment

Working...
                                X