Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45:55: Wow, @CNN RATINGS HAVE CRASHED. LOST ALL CREDIBILITY!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45:55: Wow, @CNN RATINGS HAVE CRASHED. LOST ALL CREDIBILITY!

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    So in your opinion where does it end? Should the media give a platform to....anti-vaxxers? climate change deniers? Ponzi-schemers? Holocaust deniers? Terrorists? Mass murderers?
    Again, who is "the media?"

If you're talking about people like Lemon, Maddow, Hannity, Chuck Todd, or all of the rest of them, sure. If they want to. They're the carnival barker running the freak show at the county fair. Whatever gets people to pay their quarter.

If they had a tv show where someone came on the air and read the AP wire for a half hour, I'd watch that. That's all I'm really interested in. Just give me a report of the news. That was television news when I was growing up, and I'm probably about the only one who'd still be willing to watch that today.

As cable started, and expanded, we started to see shows like Crossfire on CNN or The McLaughlin Group. People were entertained. There was shouting. There were insults. No one wants to watch an old man reading the AP wire anymore (except me). Give me name calling. Then, it keeps expanding until we get to where we are today. Stop kidding yourself. Those aren't news programs.

So, yeah, if you want to have on tonight's panel a cannibal, a serial murderer and a vegetarian, have at it. I'm sure someone will watch.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      That's the problem. Americans worship the rich and they all think they'll be rich someday so let's not tax them.

****ing morons.
      If you want to know who runs a country find who people have been trained not to think rationally about. Once that was priests, then the nobility, then kings. Now it's the rich. Culture is always the myths which keep the poor from thinking clearly about the ruling class. Catalog what the average conservative believes:

+ poverty is a just consequence of laziness
      + wealth is a measure of what one contributes
      + price is value
      + taxes punish success
      + taxes are dangerous because they stifle innovation and work ethic
      + whiteness is so important poor whites should ally with rich whites instead of poor blacks
      + accepting your lot in this world will give you eternal life in paradise

These could not be more useful for the rich if they had deliberately invented them and deployed them throughout the country as cynical propaganda.
      Last edited by Kepler; 07-18-2019, 10:36 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

If you're talking about people like Lemon, Maddow, Hannity, Chuck Todd, or all of the rest of them, sure. If they want to. They're the carnival barker running the freak show at the county fair. Whatever gets people to pay their quarter.

If they had a tv show where someone came on the air and read the AP wire for a half hour, I'd watch that. That's all I'm really interested in. Just give me a report of the news. That was television news when I was growing up, and I'm probably about the only one who'd still be willing to watch that today.

As cable started, and expanded, we started to see shows like Crossfire on CNN or The McLaughlin Group. People were entertained. There was shouting. There were insults. No one wants to watch an old man reading the AP wire anymore (except me). Give me name calling. Then, it keeps expanding until we get to where we are today. Stop kidding yourself. Those aren't news programs.

So, yeah, if you want to have on tonight's panel a cannibal, a serial murderer and a vegetarian, have at it. I'm sure someone will watch.
        I'd say we're going to have to agree to disagree here. I don't think the mainstream media (network news shows, NYT, etc) should publish or broadcast views from white supremacists or holocaust deniers in the name of generating ratings. If I'm reading you correctly you're okay with that as long as it promotes a shouting match.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          I'd watch only that channel for news if it was on TV. But alas, it doesnt get "ratings" so they won't do that.

CNN tried it with their Headline News Channel. But the ratings were less than cats accidentally turning ESPN on at 3am so CNN turned it into "CNN Deuce" and started airing Nancy Grace and whatever scripted reality footage The Weather Channel airs too.

The online news sites have blurred news and opinion in an effort to get clicks as well. There needs to be a clear cut news site that color codes their "news" as actual news, no editorializing, with one color and opinion/editorials of that news with another color.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            There needs to be a clear cut news site that color codes their "news" as actual news, no editorializing, with one color and opinion/editorials of that news with another color.
            Not a bad idea, actually. This is the closest there is to that. They quantify bias along a left/right spectrum but you can just take the absolute value of the bias to convert it to what you are taking about: a measure of facticity vs opinion.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Saw this on Facebook this morning. Use as you see fit:

67068537_2477021422358638_1944298842694352896_n

Crap, the small cut it down. Let me try medium.
              Last edited by MissThundercat; 07-18-2019, 10:37 AM.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                I'd say we're going to have to agree to disagree here. I don't think the mainstream media (network news shows, NYT, etc) should publish or broadcast views from white supremacists or holocaust deniers in the name of generating ratings. If I'm reading you correctly you're okay with that as long as it promotes a shouting match.
                I think almost nothing you see on tv today is real news reporting. The closest thing to it would probably be the PBS News Hour, but even that show feels the need to color it up a little bit by having some opinion pieces, some "discussion groups," etc... Honestly, for most people someone just reporting the news to them is too dry and boring.

I think media companies like the NY Times should, and do (for the most part) engage in reporting the factual elements of a story. Obviously they have their opinion pages, and that's great.

I know that people get upset when the Times or a similar entity will send someone out to try to learn why someone opposes vaccines, or why they oppose all immigration, or how they could have voted for Trump. But asking those questions and printing what you learn is technically news. You can say that it "gives them a platform" but it also exposes them as unreasonable, misinformed, scared, racist, etc..., to anyone who is willing to read the story and think a little bit.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  The what now? Imagine you are talking to a very slow child.
                  OK, Drew, what you want to do is...

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                  iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                  gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                  Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                  Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                  TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                  DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

The thing is these people pass themselves off as journalists and the line has become so blurred that "fake news" has become a salient talking point rather than just something fascists say to attack the media.

Comment

I think almost nothing you see on tv today is real news reporting. The closest thing to it would probably be the PBS News Hour, but even that show feels the need to color it up a little bit by having some opinion pieces, some "discussion groups," etc... Honestly, for most people someone just reporting the news to them is too dry and boring.
                      We don't know that is the case; it is just the assumption.

There are probably not enough smart people (let's say, 10%) in the population to support real news programs on every major outlet competing with each other, but I'll bet there are enough for one outlet to have one real news program. No color stories, no features, no cutesy bullsh-t, just simple factual reporting on political and financial national and world news. No dummies allowed, on either side of the camera. Hell, make it "Prestige viewing" to pull in people who want to pretend to be smart. It would be a godsend for airports and coffee shops and workplaces that want something Aggressively Neutral on in the background.

Do facts and numbers. Don't do any explaining of context and for god's sake don't do any discussion of "how this affects..." which is just a way to transition to the usual horserace Beltway gossip or the as predictable flyover rebuttal of it.

You don't have to go full CSPAN -- in fact all that does it stick a mic in front of some posturing cheeseball in Congress or at a think tank. Taking dictation of spin isn't news, either. But you can do:

Today in the House, bill HR-123, the My Pretty Pony Exploitation and Apple Pie Act, previously reported out of the Hentai Committee, was debated on the floor before voting. The bill does x. Major criticisms included y. (Add any factual highlights from the debate.) The vote was 240-224 along party lines with a, b, and c defecting to the other side. The bill now proceeds to the Senate.
                      That's a 1-minute segment with facts. You can jam about 20 of those into a 30-minute segment and still sell some Slim Jims and condoms.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 07-18-2019, 11:36 AM.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Interesting reading through some things I missed on Twitter during Trump's Clan Rally last night.

He spoke the Lords name in vain twice last night, and received a resounding applause.

I'm pretty sure I remember that being a no-no, but my Bible is a little dusty. And I can't seem to find the Alternate passage in my copy of the Book of Trump, New Conservative Bible either.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Do facts and numbers. Don't do any explaining of context and for god's sake don't do any discussion of "how this affects..." which is just a way to transition to the usual horserace Beltway gossip or the as predictable flyover rebuttal of it.

You don't have to go full CSPAN -- in fact all that does it stick a mic in front of some posturing cheeseball in Congress or at a think tank. Taking dictation of spin isn't news, either. But you can do:

That's a 1-minute segment with facts, you can jam about 20 of those into a 30-minute segment and still sell some Slim Jims and condoms.
                          I'm on board with this. Where can we secure funding to start this station/news outlet?

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            The active word in your sentence was Twitter. It nullifies the point you were trying to make. Any time you cite Twitter you are saying "yes but this exploding clown car of feces over here..." thus rendering whatever it is you were trying to say irrelevant with respect to the general population.
                            Old man says Old Man things.

Twitter has more power than anyone these days. The proof resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Politicians fear Twitter more than they fear all the News Outlets combined.

Twitter has the power to spread a lie/rumor at the speed of high speed internet. And with everyone having camera phones Big Brother is always watching and Twitter is the means. Twitter can destroy you before you even have a chance to respond to the tweet. Hell there are books written about it.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              Interesting reading through some things I missed on Twitter during Trump's Clan Rally last night.

He spoke the Lords name in vain twice last night, and received a resounding applause.

I'm pretty sure I remember that being a no-no, but my Bible is a little dusty. And I can't seem to find the Alternate passage in my copy of the Book of Trump, New Conservative Bible either.
                              There are "fair-weather" church people just like there are fair-weather sports fans... They affiliate with the group, but don't really have a clue about what's being talked about...

Those are the people cheering.
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                Is the story about Omar marrying her brother legit?
                                I think we all understand now why you support the mentally handicapped being able to own guns. Only someone on the Forest Gump level of brain capacity would ask that legitimately. And only a racist tool would ask it in a troll way. So which is it...
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X