NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

Ok you found a school who does it because of some religious aspect involving people doing mormon missions. I think you understood the point.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
      College baseball has one where you can't leave till after your junior year...
      But college baseball doesn't have to contend with a functional equivalent of Canadian Major Junior. That being said, the NHL could do something similar to what MLB does if it wanted to instead of taking the easy way out by robbing the cradle.

Originally posted by eaglekeeper View Post
      ...Give the college game back to the college age kids...
      Amen.
      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

This change is an improvement.

On the other end three years of juniors after graduation is ridiculous. The fact each team can only have a handful of overagers means it should be easy to eliminate. Make it so at any given time we are getting commitments from a four year group of players. Junior in HS through grad +2

Comment

Originally posted by eaglekeeper View Post
          This is a very good rule change. It’s a good start to much needed reforms in college hockey.

It’s pathetic that D3 schools are taking 21 year old freshman. The kids are just being used and abused in the name of parity. MLB has it right, either sign out of high school or we will see how you develop the next 3 years in college. None of these kids want to play junior hockey for more than a year. They all want to get to college ASAP. Give the college game back to the college age kids. It’s better for a less talented kid to graduate at age 21 and then develop in the minor leagues.
          21 year old frosh at D1 and D3 is a combination of two factors - one is the NCAA and the other is the Canadian and US junior system that permits you to play thru age 20. Many kids are living the D1 dream until the D1s stop (or never did) knocking and then they scramble to find a D3 program.

40 years ago, the US frosh were 18 (19 if they went to prep school) and Canadians were 19 (Grade 13). I believe the 21 year old loophole was always there, but nobody took advantage of it until the early 90s.

And then there is the ACHA which, at the higher levels, has made great strides on upgrading their product.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Its the junior league age rules, not the NCAA that are causing the older players in college. You're perfectly allowed to start college at 20 as a normal student, why would you be restricted from using your 4 year eligibility in sports?

This isn't a "different rule" in hockey. I know WMU has had players as old as 30 on its football team. An exception, yes, but I fail to see what the NCAA is supposed to do about it or why they should.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              Ok you found a school who does it because of some religious aspect involving people doing mormon missions. I think you understood the point.
              Yep and I think the point is total BS.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by islander98 View Post
                Top liners who think they have a good shot at pro hockey often follow the CHL path from the outset. A few top liners will go the NCAA route. However, most of the bottom 6 forwards or bottom 4 D will go to the CHL if they are not academically focused. Those with decent grades that are not top liners generally see the NCAA path as more practical for many reasons. Many of the kids in the W would have a difficult time getting into many of the NCAA schools. But there are some good hockey players that are good students playing CHL. They know that they can play university hockey in Canada if it doesn't work out. Lots of Canadian kids would rather go to a Canadian university. And CIS hockey is probably better hockey than many of the NCAA programs. CIS is full of aged out ex guys from the W and the O and the QM. It is good strong hockey.
                UAA regularly beats CIS teams with relative ease and UAA is not exactly the cream of the NCAA crop.

Removing 21 yo freshmen is basically telling the smaller schools that they’re not allowed to compete.
                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I don't understand what the problem is. I'm not trying to be a PITA, but I genuinely don't see why having a six-year age range between the younger an older players as opposed to a 4-year age range is a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                    I don't understand what the problem is. I'm not trying to be a PITA, but I genuinely don't see why having a six-year age range between the younger an older players as opposed to a 4-year age range is a big deal.
                    25 year olds against 18 and sometimes 17 years olds. Do you know anyone those two ages? They seem the same to you? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                      25 year olds against 18 and sometimes 17 years olds. Do you know anyone those two ages? They seem the same to you? lol
                      No they don't. Neither do 18-year-olds and 22-year-olds.

But my question was about why it's a problem for them to be on the ice at the same time. There is always inherently going to be a 5 year (or so) age span. Why is 6 or 7 such a problem? I really genuinely don't understand, and while pithy, snotty responses to questions are fun and all, I really am curious as to what people's problem with it is.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        Yep and I think the point is total BS.
                        I'm guessing whatever team you root for is loaded with older players

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          Removing 21 yo freshmen is basically telling the smaller schools that they’re not allowed to compete.
                          I don't get this. How do smaller schools in other sports compete with normal aged freshmen?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            I don't get this. How do smaller schools in other sports compete with normal aged freshmen?
                            Most smaller schools aren't competitive against the larger schools (major sports). You also have to consider the total number of athletes in those sports that are available.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                              No they don't. Neither do 18-year-olds and 22-year-olds.

But my question was about why it's a problem for them to be on the ice at the same time. There is always inherently going to be a 5 year (or so) age span. Why is 6 or 7 such a problem? I really genuinely don't understand, and while pithy, snotty responses to questions are fun and all, I really am curious as to what people's problem with it is.
                              They root for teams who recruit younger players. It's not that they actually care, it's that they want an artificial advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by broncoinak View Post
                                They root for teams who recruit younger players. It's not that they actually care, it's that they want an artificial advantage.
                                Ha, any program can recruit normal aged college kids. And this is something I do care about. It's not the end of the world because my team was able to dominate for a long time often as youngest team in the country. But I still didn't like it then. Just using Minnesota State as an example, they didn't have a single player under 21 when they played Providence. I find that absurd.

Comment

Working...
                                X