Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Atlantic Hurricane season - what's in a name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 Atlantic Hurricane season - what's in a name?

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Pretty far north for a storm formation, isn't it?

Or is the Earth so hot now that 40 degrees N is the new Tropic of Cancer?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

T. S. Dorian https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...?cone#contents
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Pretty far north for a storm formation, isn't it?

Or is the Earth so hot now that 40 degrees N is the new Tropic of Cancer?
        I was away, so I'm just getting to this now, but the Gulf Stream is marginally warm enough that far north. It's rare, but it has happened before.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/images/aug_11_20.png
        Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
        "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Yesterday was the first day of the school year for my nieces. 2 years after Hurricane Harvey, they are still riding charter buses (because Houston didn't have enough school buses) to their temporary school while their elementary school is rebuilt.
          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
          7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
            Yesterday was the first day of the school year for my nieces. 2 years after Hurricane Harvey, they are still riding charter buses (because Houston didn't have enough school buses) to their temporary school while their elementary school is rebuilt.
            How much long does it take for them to finish the school?

Comment

T. S. Erin https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at...start#contents

I am still waiting for T. S. Eliot.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

not mookie!!!! that would be a wasteland!!
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Latest models are showing Dorion as a 100MPH hurricane as it approaches FLA.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Latest models are showing Dorion as a 100MPH hurricane as it approaches FLA.
                    Given how very, very wrong they have been relative to the approach to Puerto Rico, I'd not really put much into that, yet. It was supposed head north far west of where it's actually doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      Given how very, very wrong they have been relative to the approach to Puerto Rico, I'd not really put much into that, yet. It was supposed head north far west of where it's actually doing it.
                      Last edited by joecct; 08-28-2019, 11:37 AM.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

But last night, the eye was going to hit in Ponce, PR, which it isn't going to do that by any means. So in less than 12 hours, the actual result is not even close to any of the predictions I saw yesterday. They all missed by the cone they are projecting 12 hours out.

edit- on this page- https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...track#contents go from advisory 14, which was 8pm last night, and you will see that the eastern edge of the prediction cone was NE Puerto Rico. As of 16a, the center was on that line, and now 17, the western edge of the direction cone is now that line. Seems that this one has more a mind of it's own vs following a model path.
                        Last edited by alfablue; 08-28-2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

T.S. Garp

(Oh, wait, am I in the wrong thread?)
                          Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            But last night, the eye was going to hit in Ponce, PR, which it isn't going to do that by any means. So in less than 12 hours, the actual result is not even close to any of the predictions I saw yesterday. They all missed by the cone they are projecting 12 hours out.

edit- on this page- https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...track#contents go from advisory 14, which was 8pm last night, and you will see that the eastern edge of the prediction cone was NE Puerto Rico. As of 16a, the center was on that line, and now 17, the western edge of the direction cone is now that line. Seems that this one has more a mind of it's own vs following a model path.
                            Alfa

Mike's Weather Page (https://www.spaghettimodels.com) has been consistent on Dorian. For the past few days his morning and evening facebook sessions have been warnings that once Dorian got past Puerto Rico/Dominican Republic it would hit warm water and blow up. The blocking high pressure ridge would determine how far north and west it would go and don't ignore a jaunt across FLA before turning north.

Follow Mike on FB and watch his live sessions. We Drunk Donkeys feel he is more believable than your local weather person and TWC.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Alfa

Mike's Weather Page (https://www.spaghettimodels.com) has been consistent on Dorian. For the past few days his morning and evening facebook sessions have been warnings that once Dorian got past Puerto Rico/Dominican Republic it would hit warm water and blow up. The blocking high pressure ridge would determine how far north and west it would go and don't ignore a jaunt across FLA before turning north.

Follow Mike on FB and watch his live sessions. We Drunk Donkeys feel he is more believable than your local weather person and TWC.
                              Most of his page is just reporting what NOAA is putting out. So saying his models have been consistent, as I see it, is just saying NOAA has been consistent. I've already posted that.

The other source is from "tropical tidbits" and if you look at the models there, you see that they got them very wrong yesterday, too- like the NOAA model, last evening, the storm was going to hit central southern PR, and it ended up east of the most eastern model. So in less than a day, the model path through the Greater Antilles, has gotten the path wrong. https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/#05L Even look at the path's from 00Z to 18Z and see how it's shifted, and how far off one of them even sticks from reality.

Mind you, a lot of people really care about how hurricanes get past these islands. It matters to me, a lot. I'm quite thankful that the model got it so wrong, as my family was looking at a direct hit.

I'm not suggesting that the model that once it gets past, it will turn into a hurricane was wrong- that has turned out to be quite accurate.

I'm suggesting that people keep closer track on it than just watching the models.

You should look into sources more....

Comment

Alfa

Kinda sorta. He pulls the front and center data from the NHC. You can see their past models here:
                                https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...track#contents

Look at the jumps from 13A to 14 and then the progression from 15 to 16A. As it went over Fort-de-France, the models changed its path pretty significantly. I'm guessing that's because there's a lot of uncertainty that gets introduced when it tracks over land. Plus the cone of uncertainty is probably only a 90 or 95%. There's always a small chance it deviates from the cone.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X