X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I thought it would be too obvious if I put the on that post.....I guess it worked out ok. Johnston or Muzzy would just keep the train rolling. What we have to do is get that guy out of the Nursing School. Clearly that program is going to be a thorn in our sides for awhile, especially with all those 21 yr old freshwomen.
    Fear the Green and Gold.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

I thought it would be too obvious if I put the on that post.....I guess it worked out ok. Johnston or Muzzy would just keep the train rolling.
      Johnston? The former Blackhawk George "Wingy" Johnston? Don't think he's available to coach.
      Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-27-2018, 09:50 PM. Reason: Fred Shero, maybe?
      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

What we have to do is get that guy out of the Nursing School. Clearly that program is going to be a thorn in our sides for awhile, especially with all those 21 yr old freshwomen.
        you should talk, your coach is sending them to a pro league for a year of seasoning apparently

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
          you should talk, your coach is sending them to a pro league for a year of seasoning apparently
          And how old will Pankowski be when she graduates?

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
            And how old will Pankowski be when she graduates?
            Probably similar in age to Timothy A's favorite...Kessel.
            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

I wonder if this will now be the new norm ... just like men's hockey, delay entering college in hopes of being a more complete player.
              One thing it will do is make a victory over Wisconsin and Clarkson that much sweeter.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                Both at age 24, I think. I took Intro to Math as my last class in college and only because it was required, so...
                Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-28-2018, 11:50 AM. Reason: Where's my Burrough's adding machine?
                "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                  I wonder if this will now be the new norm ... just like men's hockey, delay entering college in hopes of being a more complete player.
                  Probably, but it's silly. For the men, many of them have dreams of a career in the NHL or overseas. For the women, they have a dream of .... graduation? coaching? making $5K a year playing "professional" hockey? There was once a study done that showed that for (I think) 75% of men's hockey players the 2-3 years of lost work time playing prep/junior hockey more than offset the value of their scholarship - plus they started with an age disadvantage in their chosen profession.

Comment

There ya go again with that 6 letter word, I knew I should not have come in here. Reminds me of a scene from Monty Python & the Holy Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrail.

There is no comparison to Pankowski & Kessel, other than their ages when they use up their eligibility.

See the UW thread for thoughts on Ms. Shirley's situation. I'm pretty confident MJ really wanted her in Madison last year seeing they lost 60% of their scoring and there aren't any retired players to bring back and save the day.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

... there aren't any retired players to bring back and save the day.
                      Mostly because Duggan, Knight, and Decker seem to have been the last Badgers capable of saving the day.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        Mostly because Duggan, Knight, and Decker seem to have been the last Badgers capable of saving the day.
                        Another reason to hit the thinner...
                        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Another reason to hit the thinner...
                          PLEASE DON'T DRINK TURPENTINE!
                          https://gizmodo.com/please-dont-drin...ine-1824088253
                          Last edited by ne7minder; 03-28-2018, 05:22 PM. Reason: ">'

Comment

That is a good question...Probably needs to be redirected to the Sconnie expertise that sometimes graces us with their presence.

Gunderson, Peiper, and Smith won't see the ice much at all and Keller could also see her minutes diminished coming back from injury. Another question is how will Taylor Williamson's health be next year? Definitely more competition next year than this past year. My opinion is that Skarzynski should be in the mix at D not a forward but we will see what happens there.

Now I'm in no way an expert, hence why I am asking the question. But with us losing 7 Forwards at the end of the season, would it be unheard of or unreasonable for maybe Gunderson and/or Smith to redshirt, instead of an incoming frosh? Pieper already redshirted, and Keller is only a Jr of the 4 you mentioned who won't see much ice time or might have their ice time dimished, so if you say those 3 seniors aren't going to play much anyways, why not redshirt them, giving our younger players some good experience right away while we have Kelly, Sarah, Nicole, Jackie, Sierra, Taylor and Grace all here at the same time. That's a ton of both talent and plenty of experience right there, with 5 seniors & a very talented Jr and a very talented Soph, and the 3 returners I didn't mention and 5 incoming frosh, that would be 15 forwards with 2 Seniors redshirting. Healthy and injury free, that's 5 full lines. Now I'm assuming Skarzynski goes to the D.

This way we'd only be losing 5 forwards at the end of the season, and would have some experienced players already here to fill in for the departing players come next season.

Now honestly I don't even know if its allowed to redshirt a non-freshman without there being an Olympic invite or an injury, or if its something athletes would ever be willing to do, as a lot of these gals finish school in 4 years? Just seems we'll be losing a lot of experience at the end of the year and if those players won't play much anyway, maybe next year with Kelly, Nicole, Jackie, Sierra & Taylor all leaving there might be more minutes available and a greater need for experienced players in the lineup?

Just a thought?

Comment

You can redshirt at any time during your eligibility, but I don't think there's any point in doing so with Gunderson or Smith. Frost has pretty much indicated that he won't give them regular playing time under any but the most dire circumstances. I'm convinced that he doesn't trust his depth enough and there should be more sightings of the fourth line on the ice. At this point, though, it is what it is, and Gunderson and Smith don't really add depth in any practical way. Given what the depth chart looks like, I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of Gunderson/Pieper/Smith follows Anna Barlow's lead and hangs up the skates.

That said, I'm also not sure that it's necessary. Yes, the Gophers will graduate 6-7 forwards next year, depending upon where Skarzynski plays, but that's more a product of having more than enough for 2018-19 than not having enough for 2019-20.

Comment

Just saw where Amanda Kessel is petitioning the NCAA for another year of eligibility. Sure hope she gets it!
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X