X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: Time to Get Offensive

Well, how did they look?

I watched, but it was hard for me to really tell through my cardinal colored glasses...
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      Well, how did they look?

I watched, but it was hard for me to really tell through my cardinal colored glasses...
      It’s perfectly fine for fans to criticize when they (team) don’t live up to the massive expectations set by pundits and the coaches quite frankly about this frosh class...no need to stick it to people over a win that moves the team to 6-5. If they lose tomorrow you’ve set yourself up for fire from people who aren’t sold on this staff yet.
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        It’s perfectly fine for fans to criticize when they (team) don’t live up to the massive expectations set by pundits and the coaches quite frankly about this frosh class...no need to stick it to people over a win that moves the team to 6-5. If they lose tomorrow you’ve set yourself up for fire from people who aren’t sold on this staff yet.
        You think splitting with a top 5 team in the country is bad?

And oh, btw, they haven't lost yet Captain Happy Pants. Christ, you should hang out at Gopherpucklive.

Comment

That was a badass effort. They did the small stuff right. Made simple breakout passes. Got traffic in front of the net. Played hard. Picked up the guy in the slot. Blocked shots (wyatt had 2 nice blocks).

If they can just do the basics well then the rest will take care if itself with the talent and speed this team has. Hopefully they keep it up tomorrow and dont go back to what they were doing before.... which was, yes, playing like crap
          Last edited by druzy192; 11-15-2019, 11:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
            You think splitting with a top 5 team in the country is bad?

And oh, btw, they haven't lost yet Captain Happy Pants. Christ, you should hang out at Gopherpucklive.
            I think 25 years of mediocrity through 3 coaching staffs is bad.
            And if you can’t comprehend my posts i’ll Spell them out slowly.

Just.because.they.won.one.game.and.are.6-5, doesn’t mean suddenly they can play as a team, play good D, maintain discipline etc.
            So in my mind 5-5 is greater than 1 win tonight.
            Now if they continue down this path then we’ll talk, but this reactionary “you can’t criticize the team” is just garbage and we’ve got a quarter century of empirical evidence to base skepticism on.

EDIT: If they split you think 6-6 is something to hang your hat on?
            Last edited by solovsfett; 11-15-2019, 11:44 PM.
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by druzy192 View Post
              That was a badass effort. They did the small stuff right. Made simple breakout passes. Got traffic in front of the net. Played hard. Picked up the guy in the slot. Blocked shots (wyatt had 2 nice blocks).

If they can just do the basics well then the rest will take care if itself with the talent and speed this team has. Hopefully they keep it up tomorrow and dont go back to what they were doing before.... which was, yes, playing like crap
              The block by Ess sometime in the 1st period really got me hyped. I hadn’t seen players get down to block a shot in a little while. This was an awesome win tonight. Glad Miller is the PP QB instead of Kalynuk. Felt like he was useless in the bumper spot.

Comment

It’s a small sample size to suggest that the team is good, given that we’ve seen at least as much evidence that they are no different from last year.

A good win against a good team is still nice to see, Especially when we saw improvement on some deficiencies that every rational badger fan has been observing.

Whether that’s another aberration or a sign of genuine improvement remains to be seen.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                  I think 25 years of mediocrity through 3 coaching staffs is bad.
                  And if you can’t comprehend my posts i’ll Spell them out slowly.

Just.because.they.won.one.game.and.are.6-5, doesn’t mean suddenly they can play as a team, play good D, maintain discipline etc.
                  So in my mind 5-5 is greater than 1 win tonight.
                  Now if they continue down this path then we’ll talk, but this reactionary “you can’t criticize the team” is just garbage and we’ve got a quarter century of empirical evidence to base skepticism on.

EDIT: If they split you think 6-6 is something to hang your hat on?
                  They are a young and talented team that has played a tough schedule, which has led to inconsistency. Try to find something to enjoy about it for the love of god. I'm just tired of the negativity.

We'd all love to see them win more, but things don't always move in a straight line in the real world. With the schedule they've played they have shown they can beat any team in the country. They just need to find the consis6to do it night in and night out.

Comment

Very nice to see Mr. Hyde again. Maybe the bipolar meds will get taken every day now and Mr. Hyde will be a thing of the past.

Love that the Hammer went for the shot. It was inches away from being a complete disaster, but I like the go for the kill attitude. I was also super hyped to see that save on the meaningless breakaway in the last 10 seconds. A goal there would have tarnished a win and the Hammer's play. He made a couple big ones to clean up the droppings through the course of the game.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                      When they don't what will yours be?
                      I expected a loss. They won. That's great.

I'm not making excuses for demanding consistent play-off caliber teams. Win consistently and I'll be happy.
                      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

I try to stay out of hockey analytics since (most long-time posters know) I was really into it until about 2010.

But, what do you guys think of Vorlicky's play? I kind of "spot shadowed" him last night since I/we have been critical of the defense. He played well last night, but I never followed just him before.
                        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                          I try to stay out of hockey analytics since (most long-time posters know) I was really into it until about 2010.

But, what do you guys think of Vorlicky's play? I kind of "spot shadowed" him last night since I/we have been critical of the defense. He played well last night, but I never followed just him before.
                          I thought he played well last night.

Kalynuk's shot blocking stood out.

Messner stood out again and the fourth line really controlled play nearly every shift they were out. They generated opportunities. I think Messner deserves a shot at third line center.

It felt like Notre Dame sat back defensively and did not attack as much which allowed UW more time, but maybe I'm crazy. Maybe UW's speed caused them to give a little bigger cushion.

Comment

I can't believe Vorlicky wasn't drafted. I watch the D quite a bit (as opposed to just the puck) and have paid attention to him all season. Sure he's made some mistakes, but he's allowed some as a freshman and he hasn't made many. He's had the puck on his stick in some real pressure situations and handled it very well. Kind of amazing for a kid coming straight out of HS hockey to D1. He plays like Ess. Do you notice Ess much out there? Hardly ever, because he's just going about his job all the time. Really like the way Vorlicky has played so far.
                            Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 11-16-2019, 04:48 PM.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post

It felt like Notre Dame sat back defensively and did not attack as much which allowed UW more time, but maybe I'm crazy. Maybe UW's speed caused them to give a little bigger cushion.
                              I think that's right, although ND isn't really a hard, "jump all over your D" forecheck team. They play very structured and try to make you go the whole 200 feet every time. They may turn up the heat tonight and pressure our D more, but on this big sheet they still have to respect the Badger speed. Badgers are just a better skating team top to bottom and they do have to keep guys like Holloway, Linus and Gorniak, etc. from just blowing by them on the outside.

I think if I'm Notre Dame I go to the old 3yds and a cloud of dust strategy tonight and pound the puck straight to the net. They are older, bigger, stronger, and more experienced, and they should be able to over power the Badgers in front of the net. Last night they were the ones getting pounded on and that won't will sit well.

Badgers have to score goals and make the Irish chase the game all night again. Great that the PP was so good, but we still missed open nets that we could have converted pretty easily 5x5. Dhooghster has to be seeing open nets in his nightmares by now. Fanned on another big one early. Put it away!

As we say out West, It's hard to beat anyone on back to back nights.

B1G points out there though, so go after them hard boys. Let's GO RED!!!
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                                I can't believe Vorlicky wasn't drafted. I watch the D quite a bit (as opposed to just the puck) and have payed attention to him all season. Sure he's made some mistakes, but he's allowed some as a freshman and he hasn't made many. He's had the puck on his stick in some real pressure situations and handled it very well. Kind of amazing for a kid coming straight out of HS hockey to D1. He plays like Ess. Do you notice Ess much out there? Hardly ever, because he's just going about his job all the time. Really like the way Vorlicky has played so far.
                                Yessir; defensemen are kind of like offensive linemen; you REALLY don't want to hear their name unless they're on the point during a power play.

What would make for a complete weekend? Badger FB win, Badger hockey SWEEP, and the goofs losing in football.
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X