Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Another couple of surgeries today. Both legs and the arm. They said further surgeries are in the offing. I'm crossing my fingers he will recover fully.
    Watching the video 's from Spa is insane!
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      Another couple of surgeries today. Both legs and the arm. They said further surgeries are in the offing. I'm crossing my fingers he will recover fully.
      Thou shalt not lift at Eau Rouge.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        Love Spa. What you see on TV does not give Eau Rouge justice- it's amazing to see the cars shoot up the hill.

On a related note- the change of owners of Force India seems to have put some focus on the team- Spa has been very friendly to FI, but they look much better this weekend anyway. Which is nice to see!

Comment

I’m surprised at how long doctors have kept Wickens condition under wraps in terms of the severity of the spinal cord injury.
          Indeterminate is a very interesting word to use with that type of injury. It reminds me of the week after Schumacher was injured.
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Thou shalt not lift at Eau Rouge.
            OR at turn two at Mosport!

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            I’m surprised at how long doctors have kept Wickens condition under wraps in terms of the severity of the spinal cord injury.
            Indeterminate is a very interesting word to use with that type of injury. It reminds me of the week after Schumacher was injured.
            I asked a doc freind of mine about this and he said they have to wait for the swelling to go down before they can even assess how well he will do. It could be an extended period before we know.

Comment

OR at turn two at Mosport!

I asked a doc freind of mine about this and he said they have to wait for the swelling to go down before they can even assess how well he will do. It could be an extended period before we know.
              Thanks for the info!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Wickens breathing on his own now...

Comment

First time watching F1 after spending too much **** time playing Motorsport Manager

And there's a wreck on lap 1 lol
                  https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                  https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                  NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                  Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                    First time watching F1 after spending too much **** time playing Motorsport Manager

And there's a wreck on lap 1 lol
                    So obviously that was all your fault. Alonso wants to talk to you...
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Just realized I haven't posted in a while. Enjoyed the trip to the Poconos again. Still very worried about Wickens. Paralysis would be a brutal outcome here. But... it could have been a lot worse. RHR was almost decapitated as his car went under Wickens and the helicoptering Wickens tub sheared off the camera on top of the roll bar. So maybe 8-10 inches from certain death for RHR? The aero package for super speedways sucks right now and they need to work on it. After lap 7 it was a pretty boring race for the most part.

The Gateway race got interesting when RHR's car brought out the yellow right at a critical time in the fuel windows. Rossi is g**** amazing at fuel saving. Dixon played it safe given the points situation but was caught in no-man's land between Power going all out and taking a splash and Rossi going super saver, both decisions made early while Dixon had to wait to see what each was going to do and react.

Big fan of what Veach is doing lately. His upswing plus Rossi's slow march to legend status has helped offset the brutal luck from RHR and Marco being Marco and really to me has pushed Andretti easily ahead of CGR (nice to see Ed Jones actually be a factor in a race this weekend though!).

I also want to point out one thing I've ready so many places regarding this Wickens crash scaring off Alonso. Alonso raced already in a super speedway at Indy and sat parked in the pits for a red flag when Dixon went about as airborne as you can go (and he walked right out of the car with only a banged up ankle). If he is easily spooked, he would have been so already. And yet he's coming next year.

With regard to catch-fencing, yes it's a problem. Unfortunately there are not a lot of easy solutions especially given how cash-strapped the tracks are (and the series!). One other fallacy I saw was that the fence "did it's job" but someone noted and yes it is very obvious looking are replays that a tire from the #6 absolutely went flying through the fence and had some serious velocity to it. Not once have I seen the media report on that, where it landed, etc. Looks like it went somewhere close to where fenceline RV parking is right near the ticket office on Long Pond Road. But yes it kept most of the car in the track. Extending safer barrier upwards in the corners might be the best solution but IDK what type of cost that would bring with it.
                      Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 08-27-2018, 12:33 PM.
                      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Meanwhile Felipe Massa has been taking a beating on twitter today.
                        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                          Meanwhile Felipe Massa has been taking a beating on twitter today.
                          Well deserved. INDYCAR is unquestionably more dangerous on ovals than any other major circuit but their medics and their safety advancements have been ahead of F1 going back to at least the 1980’s. And I mean miles ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                            Well deserved. INDYCAR is unquestionably more dangerous on ovals than any other major circuit but their medics and their safety advancements have been ahead of F1 going back to at least the 1980’s. And I mean miles ahead.
                            Given what Happened to LeClerc on Sunday, maybe Indycar ought to be more aggressive in pursuing a Halo or some other device to protect the driver's head.
                            Most of the tracks I know of, are nearly fully booked every day of the season and are not hurting, now that's not to say that the events themselves are making money. I think added Safer barriers are needed.
                            Last edited by manurespreader; 08-27-2018, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Given what Happened to LeClerc on Sunday, maybe Indycar ought to be more aggressive in pursuing a Halo or some other device to protect the driver's head.
                              Most of the tracks I know of, are nearly fully booked every day of the season and are not hurting, now that's not to say that the events themselves are making money. I think added Safer barriers are needed.
                              I agree. Increase the height by 3-4 feet for safer barriers.

INDYCAR is working on a windscreen device for the cockpit. They’ve been testing it for over a year and it’s due on the car next season. I know Newgarden and Dixon have tested it.

Comment

http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/22...d?platform=amp

Comment

Working...
                                X