• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Eh, I'm not too worried about it
    I would be.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      I would be.
      Really? You'd be worried about bringing your flip phone?

the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
        Really? You'd be worried about bringing your flip phone?

I'd be worried about HIS phone. Arsehole.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          I would be.
          I wouldn't be taking it off of airplane mode while there, and I'd keep bluetooth and wifi off. Probably only use wifi at the hotel.
          Last edited by bigblue_dl; 08-09-2018, 08:50 AM.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Looks like we're heading to Chicago for my birthday (heh)...the actual city. We'll be there for about 3-4 nights in December and are trying to decide what to do. We're planning to eat at a Stephanie Izard place (or two), but I'm not sure what else to do. I'm not wild about heights, so the Sears Tower (or whatever it's called) doesn't hold much interest for me. I don't like to shop and I've done Navy Pier.
            Food recs?
            Beer/Brewery recs?
            Things to do?

Blackhawks are there Sunday afternoon, which is a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
              Looks like we're heading to Chicago for my birthday (heh)...the actual city. We'll be there for about 3-4 nights in December and are trying to decide what to do. We're planning to eat at a Stephanie Izard place (or two), but I'm not sure what else to do. I'm not wild about heights, so the Sears Tower (or whatever it's called) doesn't hold much interest for me. I don't like to shop and I've done Navy Pier.
              Food recs?
              Beer/Brewery recs?
              Things to do?

I'm not a Chicago local, but the Art Institute is worth visiting. The Museum of Natural History is excellent, and it is right next door to the Shedd Aquarium close to downtown. The Museum of Science and Industry, on the site of the 1893 World Fair, is also easy to get to. If you like architecture, the city has a lot of Frank Loyd Wright homes and has a tour, I believe.

If you are close to Wrigley (near north side) for brunch, River Valley Farmer's Table is a treat. Not Stephanie Izard, but worth it if you are close.

A lot of people take the short drive north for a chance to see real Wisconsin people.

Who are the Hawks playing?

Comment

Food recs?
                Beer/Brewery recs?
                Things to do?

As mentioned, there are several cool museum options right in the downtown area. It just depends on what you want to see (Art, Natural History, Aquarium, etc.). For shows, Chicago is home to Second City. Their alumni list speaks for itself and is a really great chance to see some great comedians before the make it big.

Food-wise, I feel that Chicago is a very underrated culinary city. Everyone knows about the Pizza and Hot Dogs, but there is so much more out there. Again, it depends on what you're looking for. Chicago's food scene is definitely "Blue Collar" based. Most of better options are going to be on the near North side, a short El ride or Uber from Downtown. I like Kuma's Corner for Chicago's best burger option.

Beer wise, I am a big fan of Revolution Brewing. Their tap house is another option on the North Side.
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Smoque is excellent BBQ.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Revolution Brewing is awesome. Their barleywine? *drool* (Someone brought a keg of it to last year's Surly Darkness Day tailgate).

Comment

Food recs?
                      Beer/Brewery recs?
                      Things to do?

Field Museum is awesome. I definitely recommend a visit there.
                      Last edited by bigblue_dl; 08-10-2018, 09:59 AM.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                        I'm not a Chicago local, but the Art Institute is worth visiting. The Museum of Natural History is excellent, and it is right next door to the Shedd Aquarium close to downtown. The Museum of Science and Industry, on the site of the 1893 World Fair, is also easy to get to. If you like architecture, the city has a lot of Frank Loyd Wright homes and has a tour, I believe.
                        If you are close to Wrigley (near north side) for brunch, River Valley Farmer's Table is a treat. Not Stephanie Izard, but worth it if you are close.
                        A lot of people take the short drive north for a chance to see real Wisconsin people.
                        Who are the Hawks playing?
                        I've been to Wisconsin a few times, I don't need more exposure to Wisconsin people. And we won't have a car.
                        They're playing Calgary.
                        Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        Revolution Brewing is awesome. Their barleywine? *drool* (Someone brought a keg of it to last year's Surly Darkness Day tailgate).
                        Ooooh - I will add this to the itinerary
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        Field Museum is awesome. I definitely recommend a visit there.
                        They have a new exhibit with a T-Rex, so I will definitely be interested. Will add it to the list.

Comment

Frontera Grill for a celeb chef flagship that won't do an obtuse amount of damage to your wallet, especially if you go for lunch.

Bohemian House for upscaled Central European classics. Cafecito for a Cuban lunch.

I'd tell you to go to Joe Boston's for an Italian beef sandwich, but sadly, it's gone.

Chicago is a tremendous food city. I'll be there in two weeks - can't wait.
                          Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 08-10-2018, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Frontera Grill for a celeb chef flagship that won't do an obtuse amount of damage to your wallet, especially if you go for lunch.
                            Bohemian House for upscaled Central European classics. Cafecito for a Cuban lunch.
                            I'd tell you to go to Joe Boston's for an Italian beef sandwich, but sadly, it's gone.
                            Chicago is a tremendous food city. I'll be there in two weeks - can't wait.
                            Rick Bayless, right? I've seen him on tv, but is his Mexican that elevated that it's a must do?

I keep hearing that about Chicago, I'm wicked excited about going. (I went in high school as part of a high school/college immersion program - I was a sophomore and we did 8 weeks of college classes at UW-Madison and toured college campuses on the weekend. The program turned a bunch of teenagers loose in the city without supervision for the weekend... ).

Comment

Rick Bayless, right? I've seen him on tv, but is his Mexican that elevated that it's a must do?
                              They do make excellent ceviche, and I enjoyed the pork shoulder mole special they were doing the night I managed to sneak in without a res. I wouldn't call it a "must-do" though. Just a thought.

There was an outstanding Japanese robatayaki joint on the North side, but I can't find it now - must be gone as well. I ate every part of chicken but the cluck at that place.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                They do make excellent ceviche, and I enjoyed the pork shoulder mole special they were doing the night I managed to sneak in without a res. I wouldn't call it a "must-do" though. Just a thought.

There was an outstanding Japanese robatayaki joint on the North side, but I can't find it now - must be gone as well. I ate every part of chicken but the cluck at that place.
                                I'll add it to the list -- Good to know on the reservation. I hadn't thought of that for his place.

I would love to eat at a place like that, but I don't think the hubs is that adventurous.

We had originally talked about looking at Alinea for reservations (or other Grant Achatz places), but I'm just not feeling it. We went to Travail when we were in MN which was amazing, but I don't know if I want that kind of meal every time we travel. Plus, I feel like the guys at Travail were interested in feeding you actual food, Alinea looks like some of the stuff is just for tasting or show, which I'm not into.

Comment

Working...
                                X