The UP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The UP

Went to Marquette last summer and someone here recommended Jean Kay Pasties. (I apologize for not remembering who it was but THANK YOU).

One can NOT have a true UP experience without trying pasties and these were fantastic. I'm currently having them shipped to me only to have my father, brother, nephew, and daughter all wanting some too. I buy a dozen and get 2 or 3.
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Groucho Marx
    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
    Ron White
    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
    Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
      Went to Marquette last summer and someone here recommended Jean Kay Pasties. (I apologize for not remembering who it was but THANK YOU).

One can NOT have a true UP experience without trying pasties and these were fantastic. I'm currently having them shipped to me only to have my father, brother, nephew, and daughter all wanting some too. I buy a dozen and get 2 or 3.
      Cool. Thanks. I have repurposed this word.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Libe Slope* is the Great Leveler. Whether you're an athlete or a Five Towns butter shrimp, getting up that hill after an ice storm is the Cornell Hero's Journey. After you have completed that rite of passage, you are every jarhead and every jarhead is you.

* North Camp-ssies need not apply. #thebridgeisover #westisbest #uhall$og**

** Except Sperry. Sperry sucks.
        There must be a sinful amount of salt used on those streets during winter, and it must end up in water somewhere below that hill.

Or have great Cornell minds figured out a more environmentally friendly way to keep the emergency wards and PI lawyers unoccupied?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
          There must be a sinful amount of salt used on those streets during winter, and it must end up in water somewhere below that hill.

Or have great Cornell minds figured out a more environmentally friendly way to keep the emergency wards and PI lawyers unoccupied?
          The salt is used on Buffalo Street. Buffalo Street is what you walk up at 3 a.m. after a night in the town. I would not be surprised if parts are a 30 degree gradient.

The funny part is the town bikes that all migrate to the bottom of the hills over time.

In all honesty, the town is a topographical horror. But my god my legs were strong for years afterwards.
          Last edited by Kepler; 06-06-2018, 09:04 AM.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

IMHO the weather is identical in the two places with Marquette marginally colder for marginally longer. But at least you can fly directly into Marquette. There is a small museum in Houghton at Dee stadium commemorating the birthplace of professional hockey. It's worth a trip up.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              IMHO the weather is identical in the two places with Marquette marginally colder for marginally longer. But at least you can fly directly into Marquette. There is a small museum in Houghton at Dee stadium commemorating the birthplace of professional hockey. It's worth a trip up.
              This is all I know of Dee. Actually if it were not for the folks here it'd be all I'd know of the UP.
              Cornell University

Comment

November 9th and 10th? Beware as that weekend is precisely 'When the gales of November come early'.

Hmm... you could go down to the harbor after the first game and look out for the lights of the Ghost of the Edmund Fitzgerald, as 43 years earlier on the night of November 9th, 1975 she was directly North of Marquette before turning down for Whitefish Bay. On the evening of November 10th, 1975 she foundered 100 miles east of Marquette, shortly after 7:00 pm

Good chance you'll see something as legend has it that she and her crew are doomed to repeat their ill-fated journey again and again for all eternity until the stolen Ship's Bell (which incidentally, is located at Whitefish Point in the Great Lakes Ship Wreck Museum.) is returned and they can finally rest at peace.*

The reason I'm aware of this though is that as a youngster in early September 1975 my family took a trip to the Soo locks. Having never really been anywhere up to that point in my young life, and never having seen a skyscraper or ship of any kind in person, it left quite an impression in general, but more specifically because 'Big Fitz' traversed the locks while I was there. I would have probably remembered her for a good while anyway because she was somewhat of a 'celebrity' ship, holding many, many speed and tonnage records on the Great Lakes. That, her immense size, and the fact that several of her crew came out on deck and interacted with the crowd as she was lifted in the lock only yards away from us, made her stand out far above all the rest. In my mind's eye I can still picture the fellas waving and laughing and talking with the crowd, just as I can still picture my Dad holding the paper with the headline: LAKER SINKS; 29 LOST over a picture of the mighty Fitz just two months later.

Here she is in the Soo locking down: Edit: Oops. Obviously copied the wrong pic, but I'll leave it as it's still the Soo locks. Instead here's an old video of her transiting the locks, which gives an impression of how close you are to the ship and crew there.

*TBH I'm pretty sure that's a legend I just made up two minutes ago.
                Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 06-06-2018, 09:29 AM.
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Go to the Hilltop outside Marquette and get a cinnamon roll the size of a small child.

And if you want to talk topographical nightmares, head to Houghton and go for a spin around the Yooper Loop.
                  Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                    Go to the Hilltop outside Marquette and get a cinnamon roll the size of a small child.

And if you want to talk topographical nightmares, head to Houghton and go for a spin around the Yooper Loop.
                    Ha, the loop seems a little easier for people since roundabouts have caught on elsewhere, but it still amuses me to come upon some unfortunate parked in the middle, wondering how to go north, while the commuters are dodging them at 40 mph.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                      Ha, the loop seems a little easier for people since roundabouts have caught on elsewhere, but it still amuses me to come upon some unfortunate parked in the middle, wondering how to go north, while the commuters are dodging them at 40 mph.
                      I weep for the pour souls who's minds explode on Diverging Diamond Interchanges. Also, I believe it was MDOT who put a compilation video together that showed how to NOT drive through a roundabout after they put them in on US41 in Ishpeming. The locals seem to have gotten much better though.

Kep, I'll have a much longer post soon with some ideas for ya.
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                        November 9th and 10th? Beware as that weekend is precisely 'When the gales of November come early'.

Hmm... you could go down to the harbor after the first game and look out for the lights of the Ghost of the Edmund Fitzgerald, as 43 years earlier on the night of November 9th, 1975 she was directly North of Marquette before turning down for Whitefish Bay. On the evening of November 10th, 1975 she foundered 100 miles east of Marquette, shortly after 7:00 pm

Good chance you'll see something as legend has it that she and her crew are doomed to repeat their ill-fated journey again and again for all eternity until the stolen Ship's Bell (which incidentally, is located at Whitefish Point in the Great Lakes Ship Wreck Museum.) is returned and they can finally rest at peace.*

The reason I'm aware of this though is that as a youngster in early September 1975 my family took a trip to the Soo locks. Having never really been anywhere up to that point in my young life, and never having seen a skyscraper or ship of any kind in person, it left quite an impression in general, but more specifically because 'Big Fitz' traversed the locks while I was there. I would have probably remembered her for a good while anyway because she was somewhat of a 'celebrity' ship, holding many, many speed and tonnage records on the Great Lakes. That, her immense size, and the fact that several of her crew came out on deck and interacted with the crowd as she was lifted in the lock only yards away from us, made her stand out far above all the rest. In my mind's eye I can still picture the fellas waving and laughing and talking with the crowd, just as I can still picture my Dad holding the paper with the headline: LAKER SINKS; 29 LOST over a picture of the mighty Fitz just two months later.

Here she is in the Soo locking down: Edit: Oops. Obviously copied the wrong pic, but I'll leave it as it's still the Soo locks. Instead here's an old video of her transiting the locks, which gives an impression of how close you are to the ship and crew there.

Great post, Wisko.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

I hadn't realized that the Edmund Fitzgerald went down on Kristallnacht.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            Kep, I'll have a much longer post soon with some ideas for ya.
                            Well, mostly I'm just looking for people to drink and talk hockey with.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Well, mostly I'm just looking for people to drink and talk hockey with.
                              Sadly, there's no good hockey talk found in the UP these days. That's mostly due to the lack of good hockey in the UP these days.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                Sadly, there's no good hockey talk found in the UP these days. That's mostly due to the lack of good hockey in the UP these days.
                                Didn't both NMU and MTU have very good teams in the past few years?

Also: you didn't say there's no drinking.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X