Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.33: ""We're rounding them up in a very humane way, in a very nice way."

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.33: ""We're rounding them up in a very humane way, in a very nice way."

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    Speaking of less time at the buffet, I invite Mr Huckabee to look at any family portrait hanging in his house.
    Republicans just aren't funny. Fascists are missing that part of the brain. Or soul. Bob Dole was the last funny Republican.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Re: POTUS 45.33: ""We're rounding them up in a very humane way, in a very nice way."

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Republicans just aren't funny. Fascists are missing that part of the brain. Or soul. Bob Dole was the last funny Republican.
      Scared people are seldom funny.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
        Scared people are seldom funny.
        Depends how you feed them.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          My guess is that you're low on the 40%. But that's why I don't think it helps when something like USA Today comes out screaming that we're in some sort of constitutional crisis or we've destroyed the rule of law just because Trump calls the investigation a witch hunt.
          Trump's shenanigans go way, way past simply crying, "Foul!".

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          If you say so...

Question...did they all claim it was political? If the answer is yes you realize his point.
          His point didn't stop there. Sure they all, "do it" but that doesn't invalidate the story and its observations regarding the scale and scope of Trump's activities.
          Last edited by Slap Shot; 05-24-2018, 02:47 PM.

Comment

My guess is that you're low on the 40%. But that's why I don't think it helps when something like USA Today comes out screaming that we're in some sort of constitutional crisis or we've destroyed the rule of law just because Trump calls the investigation a witch hunt.
            What would be too far for you? What would worry you?

I am worried now. It's clear to me that Dump has no intention of behaving within the norms of American democratic politics, and that the GOP has no intention of calling him on it because they are either opportunists or cowards.

I can't help thinking the reason you're not worried is you're getting the policies you want. So maybe turn the situation around -- reverse the uniforms. I can tell you that I'd still be worried and still be resisting if it was my guy and my policies -- or anyway I can tell you from the safety of this position right now I really, really hope I would be; I'd strive to be. But you don't have to believe that -- what you do have to do is examine your own behavior right now and ask yourself would you be worried if it wasn't your guy.

Because if you would be, then be worried anyway. The rule of law falls just as easily by an attack from either left or right because that's not really where the attack is coming from -- the attack is on our democratic values themselves by anti-democratic forces. Of course we who are immediately ideologically (and physically) targeted will resist, but it is the people who stand to "gain" short term whose opposition is required to save the country. Conservatives who stand up for America against this turd and the cynical gasbags in the GOP will be the only heroes when the history of this period is written. The heroes won't be liberals -- it's EASY for us to stand athwart the track and holler "halt."

It comes down to will you sacrifice an advantage to do the right thing for the country? That's what civic virtue is. We don't have to make that choice... but you do.
            Last edited by Kepler; 05-24-2018, 03:01 PM.
            Cornell University

Comment

He praised the concept of abolishing term limits. Seems like that's somewhere in there.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Of course not many Republicans are concerned. They are getting policies they want. And when the recession hits it’ll be the dems fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  Trump's shenanigans go way, way past simply crying, "Foul!".

His point didn't stop there. Sure they all, "do it" but that doesn't invalidate the story and its observations regarding the scale and scope of Trump's activities.
                  But he didnt say it invalidated the story, he said they didnt do their research because this is hardly a new tactic. It isnt like I am one to defend SJHovey very often why am I the only one who seemed to read what he actually said?
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                    Of course not many Republicans are concerned. They are getting policies they want. And when the recession hits it’ll be the dems fault.
                    That's conflating two things, though. Even though The Heist is horrible... even though the SCOTUS Screwjob was awful... those things were still within the purview of the rule of law. Those are horrific policies, but they are Republicans Doing What They Do -- f-cking everyone to feed the ranvenous maw of their 1% paymasters. That sucks, but it's normal suck.

Dumpy isn't normal anything. Aside from his grotesque mental deformities (which should be enough to A25 him), he's an actual wanna-be tyrant -- he even happily announces he is. All of his instincts are authoritarian. He's Robert Mugabe with worse body odor. Nixon famously said "... that would be wrong." Dumpy doesn't understand any concept of wrongness except that which opposes his will. He is the opposite of everything the Founders created in our system. It actually helps that he's repulsive and imbecilic because it would be a million times more dangerous if he was charming and intelligent. But still, there he is... given the reins of power by democratic means and now working to destroy that very democracy.

The point isn't that Dumpy had a fit and called the investigation a witch hunt. It's that he's going to use the mechanisms of the USG as a police state to shut down our checks and balances, and that while the GOP could stop him in a second they won't because they are completely corrupt.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 05-24-2018, 03:18 PM.
                    Cornell University

Comment

If you say so...

Question...did they all claim it was political? If the answer is yes you realize his point. There is literally nothing else there except what you bring.
                      But he didnt say it invalidated the story, he said they didnt do their research because this is hardly a new tactic. It isnt like I am one to defend SJHovey very often why am I the only one who seemed to read what he actually said?
                      Who gives a rip if it isn't new? That wasn't the point of the article. The fact is no one else has "done it" to the level of Trump and discussing anything but that is classic whataboutism.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        Who gives a rip if it isn't new? That wasn't the point of the article. The fact is no one else has "done it" to the level of Trump and discussing anything but that is classic whataboutism.
                        The point of the article was that Trump's attacks on the FBI, Mueller, the DOJ, etc..., were damaging or destroying the "rule of law" in this country. I called, and call, BS. He is literally following the playbook of every single person, president or non-president who has found himself under investigation or scrutiny by those same authorities.

Let's think about it for a minute. How often have we, on this message board, attacked the motives of law enforcement, the FBI, or other government agencies? Did we destroy the "rule of law" by doing so? Yeah, I'd like our president to be a bit more "presidential" in how he responds to investigations, and his responses have certainly been more shrill, confusing and strange than pretty much anyone who's come before him, but it doesn't change the fact that the response is the same.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        What would be too far for you? What would worry you?

I am worried now. It's clear to me that Dump has no intention of behaving within the norms of American democratic politics, and that the GOP has no intention of calling him on it because they are either opportunists or cowards.

I can't help thinking the reason you're not worried is you're getting the policies you want. So maybe turn the situation around -- reverse the uniforms. I can tell you that I'd still be worried and still be resisting if it was my guy and my policies -- or anyway I can tell you from the safety of this position right now I really, really hope I would be; I'd strive to be. But you don't have to believe that -- what you do have to do is examine your own behavior right now and ask yourself would you be worried if it wasn't your guy.

Because if you would be, then be worried anyway. The rule of law falls just as easily by an attack from either left or right because that's not really where the attack is coming from -- the attack is on our democratic values themselves by anti-democratic forces. Of course we who are immediately ideologically (and physically) targeted will resist, but it is the people who stand to "gain" short term whose opposition is required to save the country. Conservatives who stand up for America against this turd and the cynical gasbags in the GOP will be the only heroes when the history of this period is written. The heroes won't be liberals -- it's EASY for us to stand athwart the track and holler "halt."

It comes down to will you sacrifice an advantage to do the right thing for the country? That's what civic virtue is. We don't have to make that choice... but you do.
                        What would worry me?

If Trump came out and said the FBI is engaged in a witch hunt against him, and therefore he's just going to close down the agency. That would worry me. If he fires Mueller and everyone in the DOJ who has their hands on the investigations, that would worry me. If he just decided to call off the November elections, that would worry me. If by executive order he created a private army to do his bidding, that would worry me.

There is literally nothing normal about Trump, or how he responds or acts. But that doesn't mean he's destroying the rule of law in this country. We still have a branch of government which creates laws. We still have a court system that interprets the laws.

Sometimes I think that when the Trump presidency ends, and someday it will end, there are going to be a lot of people who are just going to collapse into an exhausted, sobbing puddle of goo over the frenzy they've worked themselves into regarding this presidency. We've got a bat***** crazy president, no different than when Maine had a bat***** crazy governor or Toronto had a bat***** crazy mayor, etc... The institutions survive. The roller coaster ride just gets a bit crazy for awhile.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

The point of the article was that Trump's attacks on the FBI, Mueller, the DOJ, etc..., were damaging or destroying the "rule of law" in this country. I called, and call, BS. He is literally following the playbook of every single person, president or non-president who has found himself under investigation or scrutiny by those same authorities.

Let's think about it for a minute. How often have we, on this message board, attacked the motives of law enforcement, the FBI, or other government agencies? Did we destroy the "rule of law" by doing so?
                          I would be in full agreement if his actions were limited to just using words, but there's an investigation going on - and plenty of information available to the public already - to suggest he didn't stop there. To wit:

Trump reportedly asked the FBI to jail journalists and publicly threatened to take credentials away from news outlets that publish negative news about him.
                          If even just that is true he's shot way past "the norm" suggested by your comparison

This doesn't even cover his attacks on intelligence community his claims of election fraud, moles/plant and illegal wire-tapping, etc. With all that it's potentially to ascribe a, "What's the big deal?" judgement to his tenure so far.

Comment

The fact that the institutions survived is a testament to the work of previous founders, it doesn’t mean Trump isn’t doing everything in his power to destroy them or wouldn’t if he had the ability.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                              The fact that the institutions survived is a testament to the work of previous founders, it doesn’t mean Trump isn’t doing everything in his power to destroy them or wouldn’t if he had the ability.
                              But that's the point, he really doesn't have that ability even though he's the freaking President.

Let's say Slap is right and Trump has asked the FBI to arrest journalists who are writing mean things about him. I haven't seen anybody arrested, and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen. Everyone knows its the rantings of an imbecile. Now, if the FBI did arrest journalists who questioned Trump, and if Trump apppointees started prosecuting them, and if judges that Trump installed started ignoring the law and incarcerating these journalists, yeah, then I'd be worried. But that scenario is just a fantasy scenario that people are throwing out there every time he makes an outlandish statement.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

So you have to wait until it happens to be worried? That’s remarkably stupid.

Comment

Working...
                                X