X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Its only one poll of course but I like the trajectory of Warren's campaign. With Biden running in place (somewhat surprisingly) and Bernie taking on water, the only logical thing to do is for Sanders to drop out and endorse Warren before the NH primary which should put her over the top.

Regarding the voters, I don't think we should consider every white working class person a Nazi, or put another way, we need more evidence. The fine people of VT, NH, and ME to name a few contain quite a lot of non-college educated whites who aren't completely insane. I'm assuming the same goes for places like Colorado and New Mexico as well. So before we throw in the towel on a place like Iowa, where 3 out of the 4 Reps are Dems and one's a Nazi (Steve King) lets give it another election or two.
    Because. I was on the phone with my mother today and she was telling me that she was watching someone interview a WOMAN of COLOR from Minnesota. She voted for Trump last time. During the interview they asked her will you vote for Trump again? She said yes. During the interview they asked her if she thinks Trump is a racist? Her answer? Oh, he's just ignorant.

Number one rule of this election is this. DO NOT try to convince Trump voters to vote for the Democrat. Go after the voters that stayed home in 2016, or voted 3rd party because they were ignorant. If they voted for Trump they'll probably double down and vote for him again. If any of them actually stay home themselves or flip to Blue then it's all gravy. But, I wouldn't spend a nickle trying to move them.
    Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 08-15-2019, 02:02 PM.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Then why would we write off Michigan, Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin because they happen to have some working class rural white areas ? Makes no sense especially given Dem dominance in statewide races. Why does Scooby want us to blow off North Carolina which is seeing an influx of educated people?

EDIT: Go Lizzy go! https://iowastartingline.com/2019/08...e-iowa-caucus/
      I'm all for writing off OH already. The others I still want to compete in if only because they all have cities with significant POC pops. But you can see where those end up. Those lower class, unskilled whites are going to keep pumping out children. They have neither the skills not the imagination to leave so they will continue to fester, repeating the cycle of substance abuse and domestic violence generation after generation. POC will grow and flourish and move out of there to better places to live in VA, NC, and GA. When these Rust Belt white trash geezers retire they'll continue to pollute FL making that place even worse.

In 20 years we'll be writing them all off. In the meantime we should keep them on the burner and take our shots whenever we can.

This is not a bad thing in the long run. In the same way it was good for the soul (if not for elections) that we cut the racist south loose, we are in the process of cutting racist Appalachia loose. Those people never belonged in our coalition. They are Morlocks scrabbling for feces in their fetid pits, they have no ability or comprehension to turn their eyes skyward and start thinking of a future beyond their bigoted, blighted biographies. They are a cultural cul de sac, like their southern thumper brethren. Adios.
      Last edited by Kepler; 08-15-2019, 02:13 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        Because. I was on the phone with my mother today and she was telling me that she was watching someone interview a WOMAN of COLOR from Minnesota. She voted for Trump last time. During the interview they asked her will you vote for Trump again? She said yes. During the interview they asked her if they thing Trump is a racist? Her answer? Oh, he's just ignorant.

Number one rule of this election is this. DO NOT try to convince Trump voters to vote for the Democrat. Go after the voters that stayed home in 2016, or voted 3rd party because they were ignorant. If they voted for Trump they'll probably double down and vote for him again. If any of them actually stay home themselves or flip to Blue then it's all gravy. But, I wouldn't spend a nickle trying to move them.
        I agree Scoobs. I'm not trying to convince Nazi's stop being Nazi's. What I don't know and need more evidence on is how many Trump 2016 voters aren't Nazis? I'm sure most of them are, but if say 5% of them have finally woken up Chump is screwed. If its 1% he can squeak by again.

Back of the envelope calculation: Chump got 46% of vote on 63M/137M total votes. Approx 2M of those people are disgruntled Berners who aren't going to make that mistake again (presumably they'd just stay home this time). That puts him at around 44-45% of the vote, but his approval is closer to 42-43 % on average. That means another 3M people have potentially stepped off the crazy train. That would be worth fighting for IMHO if those %'s hold through next fall. What I don't know, again, is who the are. Could be educated whites who were in it for the tax breaks but are now realizing its all a con, or old timey George HW Bush types who can't fathom allowing Vlady Putin to make our foreign policy decision for us. Could be working class people who don't get off on seeing kids in cages. I'd attack Chump from all angles in all places and see what sticks. He could very well win another narrow victory, but its just as likely the bottom falls out.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

TPM ran a story a while back saying it is all but impossible mathematically for Dump to win again without a third party candidate in the race. This brings me back to the Greens. Speaking as somebody well to the left of them on many issues, if the Greens don't swallow hard and not field a Prez candidate this time I swear to God...

As somebody who used to love third parties and who understands full well how the co-optation of the Democratic party by rich f-cks sold us down the river in the '90s and '00s, I would encourage the Green to fold up shop and reintegrate with the Dems as a strong liberal caucus within the party. The CBC doesn't run under the Black Party for a reason. Our first job now -- every one of us; every American citizen -- is to stop the GOP. We have to strip them down to nothing. We need supermajorities of Democrats in every legislative chamber in the country to undo the damage of the last 40 years before we are dead as a nation and as a concept of human dignity and liberty.

We really are fighting the Nazis. So ally up all you people. We can haggle over the emergency room bill after we've stopped the bleeding.
          Last edited by Kepler; 08-15-2019, 02:27 PM.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I agree Scoobs. I'm not trying to convince Nazi's stop being Nazi's. What I don't know and need more evidence on is how many Trump 2016 voters aren't Nazis? I'm sure most of them are, but if say 5% of them have finally woken up Chump is screwed. If its 1% he can squeak by again.

Back of the envelope calculation: Chump got 46% of vote on 63M/137M total votes. Approx 2M of those people are disgruntled Berners** who aren't going to make that mistake again (presumably they'd just stay home this time). That puts him at around 44-45% of the vote, but his approval is closer to 42-43 % on average. That means another 3M people have potentially stepped off the crazy train. That would be worth fighting for IMHO if those %'s hold through next fall. What I don't know, again, is who the are. Could be educated whites who were in it for the tax breaks but are now realizing its all a con, or old timey George HW Bush types who can't fathom allowing Vlady Putin to make our foreign policy decision for us. Could be working class people who don't get off on seeing kids in cages.
            I agree, with one exception:

** Source??

I'd attack Chump from all angles in all places and see what sticks. He could very well win another narrow victory, but its just as likely the bottom falls out.
            This is dead on, 100% correct.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              I agree, with one exception:

** Source??

https://www.npr.org/2017/08/24/54581...p-survey-finds
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Holy hell. I always thought it was a gross exaggeration.

How reliable is this data? I see they polled an impressive 50k people, but is the pollster reputable? Is the data solid?
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

12 ****ing percent of Bernie supporters voted for Trump? AYFKM?
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    12 ****ing percent of Bernie supporters voted for Trump? AYFKM?
                    You have to read into that article though. It was more likely that Bernie-Trump voters were NOT Democrats than Bernie-Clinton or Bernie-3rd Party voters.
                    Code:

Comment

Well for context, around double that number of Hillary voters voted for McCain over the first black president but Obama still won.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                        Well for context, around double that number of Hillary voters voted for McCain over the first black president but Obama still won.

How is that even supposed to refute the article? Your comparison isn't even a good one. Bernie was a far left candidate and Trump was a far right. They would have had to pass over a moderate Dem to get to Trump...

To go from Hillary, a moderate Dem (or as you describe her, a warmongering conservadem) to Obama (perceived to be a far left candidate) or McCain (perceived to be a moderate,right Rep) meant going half as far to either end of the spectrum.
                        Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          You have to read into that article though. It was more likely that Bernie-Trump voters were NOT Democrats than Bernie-Clinton or Bernie-3rd Party voters.
                          Exactly. Bernie recruited many non-voters into the system who then voted for Dump. These aren't liberals, they are "burn it to the ground." So when people suggest it was Bernie turncoats who betrayed Hillary by going over to Dump they are missing the point. Those people would never have backed another establishment candidate, Dem or GOP. They were arsonists. They liked Bernie's rhetoric and then they liked Dump's persona as an outside changemaker.

I expect these people to stay with Dump because he's still feeding the trolls who want to watch the world burn. They probably didn't even give Bernie a look this time around. They've found a home with the Republican terrorists.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 08-15-2019, 03:11 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            It's all gamesmanship. You aim high and suit your rhetoric to it right up until... you don't.

I think we may all live long enough to see a TX Senate delegation of 2 Dems, whether that's O'Rourke and Castro or somebody else. I know it's a stupid state and I know the GOP cheats and will only cheat harder as they dwindle, but declaring a pogrom on Latinos is likely not the most effective way for the GOP to recruit them.

I hope in my lifetime there is a solid blue Southwest from LA to the Sabine River.
                            🖐
                            Last time was ~June 1961 right before John Tower won LBJs vacant Senate Seat.

I was 5.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Exactly. Bernie recruited many non-voters into the system who then voted for Dump. These aren't Democrats, they are "burn it to the ground." So when people suggest it was Bernie turncoats who betrayed Hillary by going over to Dump they are exactly the missing the point. Those people would never have backed another establishment candidate, Dem or GOP. They were arsonists. They liked Bernie's rhetoric and then they liked Dump's (lying) persona as an outside changemaker.
                              That's understandable I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                🖐
                                Last time was ~June 1961 right before John Tower won LBJs vacant Senate Seat.

I was 5.
                                I was minus 2.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X