Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmf View Post
    The departure of those two has been known for awhile. The on-line roster does not list Newton nor exclude any additional names as far as I can tell. Newton has good BCHL stats, but a late addition always raises an eyebrow.
    Yeah, I wonder if someone else left.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

This morning’s Daily News-miner article on season tickets referred to Lance West as the “interim” head coach again. I emailed the reporter and asked him to confirm Coach West’s status. He said he reached out to UAF and confirmed that Lance West is the interim coach on a one year contract.

The distinction between an “interim” head coach and a permanent head coach is a pretty significant difference IMHO, and I’m somewhat surprised that little detail was left out the University’s press release. If they plan to do a national search they missed a great opportunity with all the free press in most hockey circles to give prospective applicants something to start thinking about over this next year. We are not a good fit for everyone. Prospective applicants need to start researching the program, community, recruiting footprint, shoestring budget support, etc and see if they still want to apply. Lance would still be a strong candidate, but if you're going to do a search, be up front about it.

Comment

This morning’s Daily News-miner article on season tickets referred to Lance West as the “interim” head coach again. I emailed the reporter and asked him to confirm Coach West’s status. He said he reached out to UAF and confirmed that Lance West is the interim coach on a one year contract.
        I told them to do it. ....... give the spring bear a year ......those are big breezers to fill.
        Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

The distinction between an “interim” head coach and a permanent head coach is a pretty significant difference IMHO, and I’m somewhat surprised that little detail was left out the University’s press release. If they plan to do a national search they missed a great opportunity with all the free press in most hockey circles to give prospective applicants something to start thinking about over this next year. We are not a good fit for everyone. Prospective applicants need to start researching the program, community, recruiting footprint, shoestring budget support, etc and see if they still want to apply. Lance would still be a strong candidate, but if you're going to do a search, be up front about it.
          Hockey is a pretty tight community. The press release will have little to no effect on the potential pool of applicants.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            Hockey is a pretty tight community. The press release will have little to no effect on the potential pool of applicants.
            Maybe so, but human nature is human nature. It could probably take a while for a potential applicant to convince their spouse not to file divorce paperwork and smooth things over. Many families would probably have to stew over the decision to even apply longer than for most openings, imho.

Comment

But does leaving Lance to twist in the wind like he's Dennis Williams do anyone any real good? Obviously BG got a good guy in Bergeron, but I can't wonder if that didn't hurt them.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                But does leaving Lance to twist in the wind like he's Dennis Williams do anyone any real good? Obviously BG got a good guy in Bergeron, but I can't wonder if that didn't hurt them.

GFM
                It's an interesting point. But in the long run it did BG good. Ferg's departure came rather late to begin a full search. I think this gives Lance to opportunity to show what he can do as the leader of the program. Having just been through a "lame duck" coaching situation, I know it's difficult. How does that coach who has no guarantee beyond the current season operate when it come down to a decision where "win today" collides with the "long term health" of the program.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

It's an interesting point. But in the long run it did BG good. Ferg's departure came rather late to begin a full search. I think this gives Lance to opportunity to show what he can do as the leader of the program. Having just been through a "lame duck" coaching situation, I know it's difficult. How does that coach who has no guarantee beyond the current season operate when it come down to a decision where "win today" collides with the "long term health" of the program.
                  How do you sell recruits on the program? How do you convince players to play for the guy not knowing if he'll be there in May? It's tough.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    How do you sell recruits on the program? How do you convince players to play for the guy not knowing if he'll be there in May? It's tough.

GFM
                    That's how we've lost 4.

Comment

I think this is the most logical response. Unless this season is an abject disaster a la DelCastillo I would anticipate Lance is re-signed to a longer deal next summer. If it's a one year deal, it gives UAF an out if needed.
                      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Head Coach Lance West expected to announce his second assistant soon......

Comment

I see where the on-line roster was updated and Lance West noted as the new head coach. In the past, the U almost never updated the player roster for the coming year until school was in session, because lots of issues can arise, especially with incoming freshmen. This year it was out over a month ago.

This latest update drops off junior defenseman Jordan Burns, and incoming freshman forward Jimmy Lambert. And freshman forward Max Newton (a late addition per twitter) is not added yet either. If Jordan has indeed moved on, we wish him the best. Hopefully the omission of Jimmy Lambert on this updated roster is just an official paperwork issue, but that may be wishful thinking. This may be why Max Newton was a late add.

It will probably be another three to four weeks before we know for certain what our roster looks like.

Go Nooks!

Comment

I see where the on-line roster was updated and Lance West noted as the new head coach. In the past, the U almost never updated the player roster for the coming year until school was in session, because lots of issues can arise, especially with incoming freshmen. This year it was out over a month ago.

This latest update drops off junior defenseman Jordan Burns, and incoming freshman forward Jimmy Lambert. And freshman forward Max Newton (a late addition per twitter) is not added yet either. If Jordan has indeed moved on, we wish him the best. Hopefully the omission of Jimmy Lambert on this updated roster is just an official paperwork issue, but that may be wishful thinking. This may be why Max Newton was a late add.

It will probably be another three to four weeks before we know for certain what our roster looks like.

Go Nooks!
                            Sounds like Lambert de-committed when Dallas resigned. Burns is going to Regina.

Burns isn't a huge loss, but Lambert sounded like a hotshot in juniors. Oh well.

Comment

Per another article, Max Newton is still coming.

Comment

Preseason takes

Anyone want to take a crack at where the Nanooks are going to finish? Mine is... and to state the obvious.. comes down to goaltending. If Martinsson or DellaMaggiore or the combination of both is above average, the team will be in the middle of the pack. I think we're solid on the blueline and have some scoring pop with our forwards. It will definitely be wins by committee. Of course, any freshmen contributions (like Van Tetering was) is a plus.

Comment

Working...
                                X