LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

Watching the scores over the weekend just reminded you how bad a season the Lakers really had .

Comment

With Whitten’s four year contract extension, it appears everyone at the University and on here are very satisfied with a 43-90-18 record of the coach who apparently is “highly respected among his collegiate hockey peers” and has the Lakers “poised to be very competitive next season in the WCHA.”

Not my words in quotes by the way, the school’s, however, I’m still waiting for the punchline.

Comment

I heard a rumor that they had done this. And then I saw the article confirming it. I'm shocked to say the least. I could see one year, but four??? As a regular season ticket holder since 1986, I couldn't be more disappointed in this decision.

Comment

Originally posted by thepuck57 View Post
          I heard a rumor that they had done this. And then I saw the article confirming it. I'm shocked to say the least. I could see one year, but four??? As a regular season ticket holder since 1986, I couldn't be more disappointed in this decision.
          From what I've heard, it's more for recruiting purposes than anything else - a lot easier to get kids if they think the coach will be here. But this also means that there is likely no severance package outside of paying him for the current year, not the rest of the contract.

If this is the case, I think Whitten is on a pretty short leash, and could easily turn into a one-year extension
          LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
            From what I've heard, it's more for recruiting purposes than anything else - a lot easier to get kids if they think the coach will be here. But this also means that there is likely no severance package outside of paying him for the current year, not the rest of the contract.

If this is the case, I think Whitten is on a pretty short leash, and could easily turn into a one-year extension
            So basically they are lying or telling half-truths about the length of the contract all for recruiting purposes? Methinks that doesn’t display “qualities of character” as defined by the acting President.

I’ll go with what was released and what was reported on by Randy Russon and his comments, over what you say was heard, man.

You would think the smart people over there on the hill wouldn’t be that misleading and want to be transparent? Right?
            Last edited by Truth Serum; 03-05-2018, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Until if and when we know specifically what his contract says, what's the point in speculating about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                Until if and when we know specifically what his contract says, what's the point in speculating about it?
                My guess is the university likes Whitten and he will be around another 4 years and giving him a 4 year extension was not some kind of a trick to get players to come . Sounds like a conspiracy theory being developed by people who love a good conspiracy .

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                  My guess is the university likes Whitten and he will be around another 4 years and giving him a 4 year extension was not some kind of a trick to get players to come . Sounds like a conspiracy theory being developed by people who love a good conspiracy .
                  It's not a trick. Kids read online forums (okay, Twitter) and see that fans hate the coaches. They talk to players. Giving a guy a long leash to turn a program around is a good thing if there's a sense that the kids are worried that their guy will still be there after a season.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Ya'll are misconstruing what I'm trying to say.

Let's face it, if Whitten can turn the team around, I'm sure none of us would mind if he was here for another 4 years, administration included, but it has to be based on performance and reviews from his peers and players. Plus, assuming the school can cut the contract short without a long-term ramifications, i.e a big buyout, then kudos to the school.

I personally trust the source I heard it from, but we will have to wait and see if someone's going to request a copy of the contract.
                    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

I'll take it on face value that Whitten received a 4-year contract extension, information released by the University and reported on by Randy.

If your information is correct (and I'm not saying it isn't just going off what has been officially put out there) and it is, in fact, a 1-year extension, then the school needs to be up front about that and call it as such, a one year contract extension.

Calling it anything else, for recruiting or any other purpose, is at the very least misleading or at the worst, out and out lying.

Comment

Let's face it, if Whitten can turn the team around, I'm sure none of us would mind if he was here for another 4 years, administration included, but it has to be based on performance and reviews from his peers and players. Plus, assuming the school can cut the contract short without a long-term ramifications, i.e a big buyout, then kudos to the school.

I personally trust the source I heard it from, but we will have to wait and see if someone's going to request a copy of the contract.
                        I can understand that if the contract was written with some performance standards (some of them time based), which if they aren't met would allow the school to cut it short without ramifications. I just hate to see a lot of speculation about it unless we know for sure what is in the contract.

Comment

It is not uncommon for coaches or AD's to have buy out clauses in their contract. He can have a four year contract with an X amount buy out clause. Happens all the time. If a buy out clause is not in the contract, then the contract must be honored.
                          “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
                          – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
                          when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

Whitten has another four years to turn things around and he is not going anywhere . Let us hope the recruits keep getting better and let us hope the coaching staff examines their methods that they have been using to make this a better team .

Comment

Whitten has another four years to turn things around and he is not going anywhere . Let us hope the recruits keep getting better and let us hope the coaching staff examines their methods that they have been using to make this a better team .
                              Hard to say yet how many new players we'll have next season. Probably a minimum of 5 or 6, maybe as many as 7 or 8.

Comment

The bottom line is we just don't know if it is a lack of talent on the team or a lack of coaching that is needed to get players to the next level .

Comment

Working...
                                X