Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

Originally posted by islander98 View Post
    Then why not leave them in Junior for a year or two more, then they can complete and possibly excel?
    Jesus Christ. Really?
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by islander98 View Post
      While I commend you on your attempt to focus the debate on an argument that supports your perspective, I respectfully disagree. The debate is whether having 21 year old freshman is good for college hockey. I am certain that the premier programs will always get the best of the younger players, if they want them. But you acknowledge that those star 18 year olds have a difficult time playing against the 24 year olds. Then why not leave them in Junior for a year or two more, then they can compete and possibly excel? Wouldn't this then lead to even better quality of play for the elite programs?

The reason that the supporters of the elite programs don't like the 21 year old freshman is because it evens the playing field. It creates more parity in the leagues thereby leading to more competitive games and more enjoyment for the fans. The smaller programs have a reasonable opportunity to win because they have adapted WITHIN the rules and focused on playing to their strengths. They can offer older players who may have developed a bit later than the stars, a quality education and a chance to play the game they love. Isn't that what college sports are about? The parity is a positive thing. Maybe the elite programs need to recruit better so that they sign hockey players who have no interest in their education and are only using college as a development ground to go pro. At the first sniff of a chance to play pro, they leave because they were not there for the education in the first place. In my humble opinion, those elite players who are only using college hockey to further their HOCKEY careers with no interest in education, should stay in Junior hockey. I liek the parity that the current situation creates. It makes the hockey more fun for more people. my two pennies
      Truth is, a lot of these top recruits choose a school that will put them on the team right out of HS. If they make them play junior hockey first, they’ll go elsewhere whether that’s another school or minor league/major juniors. That’s on them. Anybody who is arguing it’s not fair to put these poor lil boys on the ice against a 23-24 year old (or occasionally 25 26 in rare circumstances) clearly hasn’t watched junior hockey leagues which is 5x more violent than college.
      There’s far more reasons not related to hockey why the current rules benefit college hockey overall. IIRC hockey has the highest graduation rate amongst NCAA sports or at least amongst the top. A lot of 18-19 year old males are not mature enough for it and the education they get to remain eligible is a joke. High talent guys straight out of HS only using NCAA as a stepping stone to pros are a waste of a scholarship. We should try to make college hockey more like football and basketball where college is just a joke and technicality?
      And I’m sick of people throwing around the age 25 as if it’s some loophole teams use to cheat the system. These are guys who had to be redshirted, or had to sit out a year from transferring (after a full stint in the juniors). Hardly anything that is in the usual nor are they ever some top prospect
      I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
        The big programs don't want their talent to play another year of junior hockey and get stronger / older because it is another year for "advisers" to get in their ear and convince them to skip NCAA hockey completely and play major junior or turn pro.

Ryan

Comment

168 posts, and no one's mind has been changed about it. Let it go.
          My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
            168 posts, and no one's mind has been changed about it. Let it go.
            The 171st post will change EVERYONE'S mind!

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
              The 171st post will change EVERYONE'S mind!
              It's difficult to have a debate with people when their only argument is that it isn't fair and we can't win all the time. In every other sport, rules that create parity in the game are usually considered to be for the benefit of the game and the fans. Just saying

Comment

Originally posted by islander98 View Post
                It's difficult to have a debate with people when their only argument is that it isn't fair and we can't win all the time. In every other sport, rules that create parity in the game are usually considered to be for the benefit of the game and the fans. Just saying
                I don't know; I don't think I actually see this thread that way. I see this as a debate between parity across the sport v physical parity between players on the ice. I'm sure that some people are arguing from a selfish perspective, but it honestly seems to me that this has mostly been a legit discussion of 2 different ways of seeing the same thing. For sure, nothing anyone has said has swayed me to think much differently about it then I already did, but I also haven't felt like "they" just want things to be better for their teams.

Comment

9 '04's commit this past week.
                  "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                  -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                  Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                  Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                  Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                  Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                    9 '04's commit this past week.
                    Let's see how many actually play for the school they committed to.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Couple '05's in there as well...
                      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                      Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

They should have implemented the restrictions immediately once it passed instead of waiting until May 1st.
                        QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                        2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                        2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                        2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                        https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                        https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                        https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

• Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                          They should have implemented the restrictions immediately once it passed instead of waiting until May 1st.
                          I do find it interesting all these young kids are committing to 6-7 schools...
                          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                          Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

It's still a major win for all of us fans despite the crap being rushed in right now. After this when we get a commitment it is much more meaningful. They could still flip or bail but at least they'll be 11th graders.

Comment

For those that like records, I believe Anthony Cipollone is still the youngest commitment ever. 13 years 2 months to Vermont. And he's still committed there!

Top 4 based on my records:
                              Cipollone - Vermont - 1/2015 - 13 years 2 months (still committed)
                              Levis - Michigan - 2/2018 - 13 years 4 months 18 days (still committed)
                              Lucius - Minnesota - 8/2017 - 13 years 4 months 27 days (still committed)
                              Not sure if anyone between here and...
                              Wahlstrom - Maine - 1/2014 - 13 years 6 months (lol not so committed anywhere)

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                                For those that like records, I believe Anthony Cipollone is still the youngest commitment ever. 13 years 2 months to Vermont. And he's still committed there!

Top 4 based on my records:
                                Cipollone - Vermont - 1/2015 - 13 years 2 months (still committed)
                                Levis - Michigan - 2/2018 - 13 years 4 months 18 days (still committed)
                                Lucius - Minnesota - 8/2017 - 13 years 4 months 27 days (still committed)
                                Not sure if anyone between here and...
                                Wahlstrom - Maine - 1/2014 - 13 years 6 months (lol not so committed anywhere)
                                To add to this, for those that like data, I went and looked at the trends for Hockey East recruits who committed before they hit age 16, to see how many kids keep/are keeping those commitments versus those who did not. From what I gathered, 42/62 (67+%) players who committed to a Hockey East school before the age of 16 between 2011 and 2017 (excluding Notre Dame) have arrived on campus of their original school, or are still committed to that school. Of the 20 who did not keep it, 11 went to another D1 school. This data obviously can't be extrapolated across all of D1 and doesn't necessarily reflect all 60 programs, but it's at least a talking point and something to consider

Here's the full thread of what I found: https://***********/NUHockeyBlog/sta...04737356701696
                                "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X