This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Glad to see the US Nat. Development Team coming to Maine @ Orono...."BUT" looking at the Maine/Omaha series and they have it down as Friday @ Orono at 6pm and then the Saturday game is in Portland @ 12 Noon....that's kind of a crazy time after playing the night before in Orono...12 noon start is maybe for Omaha to Fly out after the game..? Still a quick turn around imo.
    I look at it as one of those ‘same for both team’ things. I can’t recall Maine ever playing a noon game though.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Gus gets $5.5 million per from Columbus.

Was going to wonder if he was Maine’s highest cap hit player ever, but thats still the GOAT Paul Kariya at $6 even. Bish got close one of his deals was $5.9.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
        Gus gets $5.5 million per from Columbus.

Was going to wonder if he was Maine’s highest cap hit player ever, but thats still the GOAT Paul Kariya at $6 even. Bish got close one of his deals was $5.9.
        You sent me scrambling to find Dustin Penner's contract.

Does Keith Yandle's $6.35M get an asterisk?

Comment

Originally posted by Maine Event View Post
          The 2019-2020 schedule is out on the website:

https://goblackbears.com/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey

No real surprises that I can see (if you've been following the schedule being pieced together over the last couple months).

The Hockey East teams we play 3 times are PC, UVM, NU, & UCONN
          The schedule I am looking at has Maine playing BU three times in Orono and Providence twice in Rhode Island.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
            The schedule I am looking at has Maine playing BU three times in Orono and Providence twice in Rhode Island.
            I'm seeing the same thing - sounds like the last BU image should be PC and there was some kind of error.

Comment

The 3/6 game is supposed to be PC @ Maine. Maine and PC play 3x the next two seasons.

Comment

Maine is still scheduled to host UAA on October 11/12 but I wouldn't make travel plans for those games just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                  Maine is still scheduled to host UAA on October 11/12 but I wouldn't make travel plans for those games just yet.
                  They'll be in Maine this year but after that all could be a disaster for the two Alaska teams....with the WCHA having 7 teams wanting to leave in 2 years and make there own Conference and with the State of Alaska making big time cuts in both Universitys.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                    They'll be in Maine this year but after that all could be a disaster for the two Alaska teams....with the WCHA having 7 teams wanting to leave in 2 years and make there own Conference and with the State of Alaska making big time cuts in both Universitys.
                    That's not guaranteed. The budget cuts go into effect NOW. The Legislature just failed to override the governor's veto (they'll apparently try again tomorrow and again Friday but it isn't going to happen) which means about 700 of the 1562 employees at UAA just got laid off. 40 degree programs just got eliminated. Students from all over Alaska had been informed that if this happened their enrollment at the school would be postponed (read: cancelled). Kind of hard to justify paying for a hockey coach and two assistants when professors are being sent packing. Not to mention the scholarship dollars that are going almost exclusively to non-Alaskan students. The athletics budget had already been cut to the bone. There's nothing left.

Anything is possible but I really don't see how the university system can move forward with athletics, much less hockey programs that take the lion's share of the department budgets at both Anchorage and Fairbanks. The programs were almost dropped three years ago and were spared. Maybe Alaska hockey can find their own Terry Pegula to bail them out.

Comment

This will throw a monkey wrench into many teams scheduling. What a mess up there in AK.

Comment

Who would the Black Bears get to try and fill those two dates? AA was awful, so maybe another bottom feeder? Or would they just cancel the games completely in case of AA & AF shuttering their programs and leave a gap in the schedule and lost potential revenue from games?

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                          Who would the Black Bears get to try and fill those two dates? AA was awful, so maybe another bottom feeder? Or would they just cancel the games completely in case of AA & AF shuttering their programs and leave a gap in the schedule and lost potential revenue from games?
                          If UAA and UA fold it would be very difficult to fill those dates. There are two possibilities: Ferris State and Michigan Tech. FSU is idle on Oct 11/12 and Tech is scheduled to host Alaska. All WCHA teams would lose six games if the Alaska schools fold, so one of those two could fill in the schedule, but it'd have to happen fast.

There is talk around the Alaska Legislature of another funding source, but what they said today is that would top out at $25 million, which would still leave a $106 million hole. And that's if it is legal AND approved by the legislature. It also should be pointed out that this isn't a one-time deal. Unless reversed, these cuts are permanent. It isn't like next year Alaska is suddenly going to have money again.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            That's not guaranteed. The budget cuts go into effect NOW. The Legislature just failed to override the governor's veto (they'll apparently try again tomorrow and again Friday but it isn't going to happen) which means about 700 of the 1562 employees at UAA just got laid off. 40 degree programs just got eliminated. Students from all over Alaska had been informed that if this happened their enrollment at the school would be postponed (read: cancelled). Kind of hard to justify paying for a hockey coach and two assistants when professors are being sent packing. Not to mention the scholarship dollars that are going almost exclusively to non-Alaskan students. The athletics budget had already been cut to the bone. There's nothing left.

Anything is possible but I really don't see how the university system can move forward with athletics, much less hockey programs that take the lion's share of the department budgets at both Anchorage and Fairbanks. The programs were almost dropped three years ago and were spared. Maybe Alaska hockey can find their own Terry Pegula to bail them out.
                            Well from your post the clock is ticking away and the schedule could be in trouble to start the season. Maybe teams will be contacting each other for a backup plan, BUT that needs to be done sooner rather then later. Just another head ache to deal with...and I find it hard to believe other Programs will flock to come to play Maine at a expense not figured into their Budget...bottom line: MESS 101

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                              Well from your post the clock is ticking away and the schedule could be in trouble to start the season. Maybe teams will be contacting each other for a backup plan, BUT that needs to be done sooner rather then later. Just another head ache to deal with...and I find it hard to believe other Programs will flock to come to play Maine at a expense not figured into their Budget...bottom line: MESS 101
                              It is a mess. And we won't have an idea until at least 15 July when the president of UA and the regents meet. It's unlikely resolution will come at that meeting but it will have to come soon because fall sports start in mid-August.

What helps Maine is that while neither school budgeted a trip to Orono, they also wouldn't have to travel to Alaska which frees up some money. It is all very fluid and still hypothetical. The programs could still be spared somehow.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                If UAA and UA fold it would be very difficult to fill those dates. There are two possibilities: Ferris State and Michigan Tech. FSU is idle on Oct 11/12 and Tech is scheduled to host Alaska. All WCHA teams would lose six games if the Alaska schools fold, so one of those two could fill in the schedule, but it'd have to happen fast.

There is talk around the Alaska Legislature of another funding source, but what they said today is that would top out at $25 million, which would still leave a $106 million hole. And that's if it is legal AND approved by the legislature. It also should be pointed out that this isn't a one-time deal. Unless reversed, these cuts are permanent. It isn't like next year Alaska is suddenly going to have money again.
                                I figured I'd follow up here instead of clogging a thread about the WCHA by talking about Maine.

Since MTU is likely out by virtue of scheduling Maine in that slot leading to a seven game road trip to open the season, and Ferris out by virtue of playing three games in three days in two locations if they schedule Maine in that slot, only three other programs have that weekend and its immediate surroundings open (besides the Ivies, but they won't have started by then): Niagara, Boston University, and Vermont. Of those two, Niagara and Boston U haven't realeased their schedules yet, so that spot could end up filled by then for both teams. Vermont, on the other hand, released their schedule today, and after an exhibition game at the Gut on 10/5, they won't play again until a trip to both North Country schools on 10/18 and 10/19. Could a UVM/UMO out-of-conference series be in the cards to fill that spot on the schedule? It would seem to benefit both teams, by not losing the home date for Maine and Vermont not having a two week layover between their exhibition game and the season actually starting. The Black Bears and the Catamounts played OOC games against each other in the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons to round out their schedules in addition to their conference games against each other. (Vermont went 4-0-0 againt Maine in non-conference play those years.) It's something I'd think they'd have to both consider in the unfortunate event that the Seawolves and Nanooks are forced to shutter their programs.

Comment

Working...
                                X