This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
    The smartest person from Maine is Mr. King. Money aside. There cannot be a group or a set of people that can remedy this. I understand he may be upset with Blodget let go. I also understand he was given a **** sandwich by UMaine. At the end of the day, I can honestly tell you they have given ten fold more behind the scenes. So, people should be thankful for what he and his family has done. I wish for a day when the athletic department could remedy their short sidedness.

Laws yes.
    You only have to read Salem’s lot or IT to understand Derry is Bangor. And he loves Bangor. Sad to see how they disrespect the smartest UMaine grad.

The new ad won’t remedy this.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
      You only have to read Salem’s lot or IT to understand Derry is Bangor. And he loves Bangor. Sad to see how they disrespect the smartest UMaine grad.

The new ad won’t remedy this.
      Our well known Bangor family aren't the reason for hockeys slide nor should they be looked at as the fix. Yeah they got a raw deal over the radio contract, but thats what happens when the AD (James?) got a national corporation involved. (I never understood what Learfield brought to the table anyway). But frankly the ole am620 doesnt cover much ground anyway.
      Last edited by NorthMike; 04-02-2019, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
        Some fascinating stuff. Maine has higher direct support than any other institution, excepting Lowell. It does look like some of that was the buyout for Whitehead (huge jump in 2016), but it was over $1M every year. Also, ticket sales have cratered. Regardless, on average 48.7% of the University of Maine's income is from "direct support." Basically, the academic side underwriting the hockey program.

The recruiting budget is actually higher than every other program than Air Force.

Now I'd love to see that for every other UMaine program.
        Are you saying Maine has a bigger recruiting budget than any other program? Or am I misinterpreting something?

And if that's true, then what are they doing with that budget?
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Recruiting budget is kind of BS anyway. Talking about travel right and maybe subscribing to some services/lists? As long as the scholarships are fully funded the recruiting budget means nothing to the players....

If the guys flying to all the events are poor talent evaluators no extra flights or days at the tourney are gonna help

Maines will also kind of naturally be higher bc its not near anything. Any coach at BU BC NU Lowell PC UNH and UMass can drive to a showcase in Boston, maybe per diem a meal and sleep in his own bed. Coming from Orono you probably need a hotel
          Last edited by BoSox3066; 04-02-2019, 01:00 PM.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
          43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
          104-47-14 (.669) in that time
          3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
            Recruiting budget is kind of BS anyway. Talking about travel right and maybe subscribing to some services/lists? As long as the scholarships are fully funded the recruiting budget means nothing to the players....

If the guys flying to all the events are poor talent evaluators no extra flights or days at the tourney are gonna help

Maines will also kind of naturally be higher bc its not near anything. Any coach at BU BC NU Lowell PC UNH and UMass can drive to a showcase in Boston, maybe per diem a meal and sleep in his own bed. Coming from Orono you probably need a hotel
            As a recruiter myself (different sport) - two points...

One, in defense of a needed recruiting budget official visits are expensive. While a number of kids are committing before they can even take these visits - many of the older verbals would probably still expect official visits if they're deciding at 18 or 19. My mother has a lake house east of Bangor and flying into that airport is NOT cheap. Flying into another airport (even Portland) would kickstart the clock on visits upon pick-up and hinder what else Maine was allowed to do within their 48 hour window...

That said, it is EASY to make sacrifices in recruiting (for the recruiter while on the road) as uncomfortable as that may be at the time. Are you willing to drive instead of fly? Are you willing to stay in a dump? Or even your car? Can you eat on the cheap? How long are you willing to stay on the road (rather than flying multiple trips)? You are correct that the budget is mostly an obstacle of convenience and it comes down to how bad you want to see/get players and whether you can sell them...

Also, as you state, if you have the scholarship money you're in the game. I say it all the time on the UNH threads - money will always be factor number one for attracting players, so unless you're not fully-funded you have little to really blame but yourselves. Many point to North Dakota's recruiting prominence as a byproduct of their facilities - but I point to their cost of attendance. UND is freaking cheap. Minnesota kids can attend for essentially the same price as in-state recruits. Kids in a large number of neighboring states can attend for little more with WUE exchange rates. Outside of Canada a 50% ride leaves only around 10,000 a year for almost any kid they might want...
            Last edited by Dan; 04-02-2019, 01:53 PM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

Good points, but Maine isn’t the only one in D1 with some of these recruiting expenses.

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              As a recruiter myself (different sport) - two points...

My mother has a lake house east of Bangor and flying into that airport is NOT cheap. Flying into another airport (even Portland) would kickstart the clock on visits upon pick-up and hinder what else Maine was allowed to do within their 48 hour window... ...
              I fly a lot for work from Bangor, its not really that much more all things considered. Or I dont feel so.

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              Many point to North Dakota's recruiting prominence as a byproduct of their facilities - but I point to their cost of attendance. UND is freaking cheap. Minnesota kids can attend for essentially the same price as in-state recruits. Kids in a large number of neighboring states can attend for little more with WUE exchange rates. Outside of Canada a 50% ride leaves only around 10,000 a year for almost any kid they might want...
              UMaine now has a similar tuition arrangement for new England States, students can go here for the in State tuition rates. Saves on Scholarship $.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                Are you saying Maine has a bigger recruiting budget than any other program? Or am I misinterpreting something?

And if that's true, then what are they doing with that budget?
                Than any other program on his list, yes, other than Air Force. Granted no private schools (BU, BC, PC, Northeastern) are listed.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                  Our well known Bangor family aren't the reason for hockeys slide nor should they be looked at as the fix. Yeah they got a raw deal over the radio contract, but thats what happens when the AD (James?) got a national corporation involved. (I never understood what Learfield brought to the table anyway). But frankly the ole am620 doesnt cover much ground anyway.
                  At the time The only reason that station existed was to cover UMaine sports
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                    The smartest person from Maine is Mr. King. Money aside. There cannot be a group or a set of people that can remedy this. I understand he may be upset with Blodget let go. I also understand he was given a **** sandwich by UMaine. At the end of the day, I can honestly tell you they have given ten fold more behind the scenes. So, people should be thankful for what he and his family has done. I wish for a day when the athletic department could remedy their short sidedness.

Laws yes.
                    I wonder if Mr. King cared that Cindy Blodgett was a horrible basketball coach? I mean.....what were they supposed to do....keep a bad coach for way too long and let a historically strong program go down the tubes?

Comment

Happy 20th anniversary! I still have one question:

Where’s my snowmobile?

Comment

20th anniversary quotes.

Quote from Bobby Stewart in Lewiston Sun Journal “I think saying it’s the recruiting and the facilities is a huge cop out,” Stewart said. “My investment was I was told I was going to win a national championship. … No offense to Maine as an accredited university, but if I’m just worried about school, that’s probably not where I’m going.”

But Stewart says the Maine hockey program may be turning the corner.

“I think Benny and Alfie are starting to find the right kids,” he said.

Guite said Maine’s recruitment now centers on finding the right fit for the program and not always the most talented player available.

And another: “I love those guys like they are my brothers,” Stewart said of Maine’s current coaching staff. “But enough is enough. It’s time to win.”

Same article, quote from Tim:

“It wasn’t enough,” Whitehead said from his office at Kimball Union Academy in New Hampshire, where he is the boys’ hockey coach.

“I still believe there’s no better place in college hockey to play than the University of Maine and Alfond Arena,” added Whitehead, who was the 2002 national coach of the year. “I’m rooting for them. I know how difficult it is to get to the (NCAA) tournament, let alone Frozen Fours and to win championships.”
                        Last edited by Runsub5; 04-03-2019, 08:49 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

He was fired as Maine’s head coach following the 2012 season, after leading Maine to 23 victories and the Hockey East regular season championship.
                          What?

In 2014, Maine launched the Savage Challenge, in which longtime supporter of the program Tom Savage pledged to match donations up to $1 million earmarked strictly for Maine’s hockey program. It was expected to be generate $2 million by 2019.

“That goal has not been met,” Ralph said.
                          That answers that question, but details would be nice.
                          Last edited by ticapnews; 04-03-2019, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            What?

That answers that question, but details would be nice.
                            I’m not sure if it’s a getting older thing or not, but it shocks me how many mistakes I find. Story in the BDN today on filming of pet cemetery with tons of errors.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                              What?
                              Tim won Hockey East title in 2004. He actually had 24 Hockey East tournament wins in his college career at both UML and Maine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                                20th anniversary quotes.

Quote from Bobby Stewart in Lewiston Sun Journal “I think saying it’s the recruiting and the facilities is a huge cop out,” Stewart said. “My investment was I was told I was going to win a national championship. … No offense to Maine as an accredited university, but if I’m just worried about school, that’s probably not where I’m going.”

But Stewart says the Maine hockey program may be turning the corner.

“I think Benny and Alfie are starting to find the right kids,” he said.

Guite said Maine’s recruitment now centers on finding the right fit for the program and not always the most talented player available.

And another: “I love those guys like they are my brothers,” Stewart said of Maine’s current coaching staff. “But enough is enough. It’s time to win.”

Same article, quote from Tim:

“It wasn’t enough,” Whitehead said from his office at Kimball Union Academy in New Hampshire, where he is the boys’ hockey coach.

“I still believe there’s no better place in college hockey to play than the University of Maine and Alfond Arena,” added Whitehead, who was the 2002 national coach of the year. “I’m rooting for them. I know how difficult it is to get to the (NCAA) tournament, let alone Frozen Fours and to win championships.”
                                https://www.sunjournal.com/2019/04/03/faded-glory-maine-hockey-struggles-to-stay-relevant-on-national-stage-2/

Good article
                                Last edited by NorthMike; 04-03-2019, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X