Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UMD ‘Dogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMD ‘Dogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
    I knew they had talent that’s nothing new. Wisconsin has been investing more into their program than any other teamI know as of recently (I think they were the ones who championed the idea of a B1G hockey conference so there may have been pressures to produce results or lose donations).

A young talented team like Wisconsin is hard for UMD to play so early. Granato has had ample time in their off season to study UMD’s play in the playoffs, we have a team very similar to last years whereas Sandelin has had no opportunity to develop a game plan vs Wisconsin.

I have no doubt Wisconsin will make the tourney after this weekend’s results. They may struggle with inconsistency throughout the season though. And BU had a very talented team that never amounted to much.
    I think I read somewhere that Wisconsin played in some tourney that allowed them to start practicing sooner as well? I might be getting that mixed up.
    "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Re: UMD ‘Dogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
      I think I read somewhere that Wisconsin played in some tourney that allowed them to start practicing sooner as well? I might be getting that mixed up.
      No, you're right. They played in Vancouver, Canada for their once every four years international trip.

Gonna be interested to see how they respond this upcoming weekend against the Gophers. We always get up for this series and have played very well against them in the last 5 years.
      Last edited by Biddco; 10-22-2019, 05:35 PM.
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Glad i was too busy with a wedding to catch any of the action but on sunday I was dreading checking the results, and even more sour the only clothes I had to wear to sunday brunch aside from a wedding suit was Bulldog gear. Was hoping for better circumstances

/rant
        I shouldn't be surprised there are bandwagon fans after going back to back, but I guess I am. Lay off the panic button. The season is young.

Comment

Originally posted by BulldogPride View Post
          I shouldn't be surprised there are bandwagon fans after going back to back, but I guess I am. Lay off the panic button. The season is young.
          I don't think having expectations and having the team not live up to those expectations makes you a "bandwagon fan". Anybody posting on this forum is probably not a bandwagon fan, I mean there's like 5 of us here and we all seem to care pretty deeply for the Dogs. It's okay to be objective after a disappointing weekend. We expect more because the team has done incredibly well the last few years. I think that expectation is a good thing. This team has earned that expectation.

Comment

Seriously? Lol. I doubt anyone here is a bandwagon fan. My account here is probably almost 20 years old except I changed names at one point which I did when Stauffacher was my favorite dog. There actually used to be a lot more of us here, mostly old timers. Hell, back in the day we used to exchange VHS tapes of games. And that was when we were awful. There wasn’t an option of streaming games back then. If the conditions were right and I sat out in my Camry in an open space I’d be lucky to barely hear games on KDLH (or was it KDAL?) over the static.

The extra salt is because this was the first time we played Wisconsin in almost 10 years. A decent rivalry. And after the success, getting swept is quite a disappointing re-acquaintance. It’d be different if we got swept to say—WMU or UND or the expected sweep by DU.
            It’s expected we start slow, but if this team can’t get fired up to play old rivals like UW or UMTC how are they going to stay hungry for a threepeat? Teams get complacent all the time. Look at SCSU last two years, or DU in ‘18 (OSU was **** good though, the actual runner up that year in my eyes).

There’s no such thing as bandwagon fans in this state. You’re either a Bulldog or you’re not. And the in-state rivalries run so deep I’m convinced if SCSU or UMD played Wisconsin in the championship, a lot of “better dead than red” Gopher fans would be cheering for the Badgers. Which is especially impressive given this state’s pride in it’s home grown hockey talent
            Last edited by UMD21; 10-23-2019, 11:20 AM.
            I wanna go fast!

Comment

The specific comment that rubbed me the wrong way is not wanting to strap on your Bulldog gear. Love your team 365 days a year. Don't be afraid to advertise who you follow 365 days a year. Do you think Packer fans only wear Packer garb on Mondays after the team won on Sunday? Sounds like I put you in the wrong category, but I don't have respect for fans that only support their team when they are winning.

For anyone that was disappointed with the dogs this weekend, you are in the same boat as Sandy. Watching the interview after Saturday's game, I have never seen him so upset this early in the season.

One passing thought I had this past weekend is what seems to be a pattern of slow starts. I understand slow starts to a season when you have a lot of new blood, but this team should be in third gear at the start of the season with all the returning players. Sandy is an elite coach in preparing his teams for the playoffs, so I guess that is really what matters.

Comment

Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
                BC is the only team on paper that has the talent Wisconsin does. We don't play BC this year. There may be teams that are better coached in the NCHC (see Denver) that could very well give us more fits than Wisconsin did. But Denver doesn't have the talent Wisconsin does. Their entire first line is 1st round, star talent.

I'm hoping it will be a wake up call. And I know Sandelin's teams get better as the season goes along. I'm just not as hurt by the results this weekend as some others are. I wasn't shocked by it, knowing what I knew about the incoming class for UW. They were about what I expected them to be. Unfortunately, I expected them to be really good.
                Bucky gets taken behind the woodshed at home to the tune of 4-0 to Clarkson. I fully expect them to rebound tonight. By the way don’t sleep on Denver as far as top end talent goes. They are loaded and right now the best in NCHC
                Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Woof! I can’t believe we won we got so outplayed most of the third until the last 4 minutes. Testament to our D and Shep, I was so shocked Gophers could just never finish
                  I wanna go fast!

Comment

Woof! I can’t believe we won we got so outplayed most of the third until the last 4 minutes. Testament to our D and Shep, I was so shocked Gophers could just never finish
                    I think both teams' talent is equal. What mattered this weekend was the experience on how to use and maximize that talent. And that, that was the difference. tUMD knew how to do that. MN didn't.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                      I think both teams' talent is equal. What mattered this weekend was the experience on how to use and maximize that talent. And that, that was the difference. tUMD knew how to do that. MN didn't.
                      UMD has had their core around much longer then the Gophers have been. Gophers will look to build on this year for next year.

Seems to me Wisconsin is much better than Minnesota and a 3-3 start is a bit disappointing but not devastating. I am feeling better after this last weekend but now it's bye week. Rest up and get ready for what could be a preview of the national championship game this year...first of four regular season games against DU.
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Lets just say its been an interesting start to the season for UMD. Perunovich seems to be on the cusp of an outstanding season offensively and the freshmen forwards look really good so far. Time will tell but I believe it could be an outstanding season my friends....

Comment

Denver @ tUMD probabilities:

tUMD 6 points 10%
                          tUMD 5 points 5%
                          tUMD 4 points 5%
                          tUMD 3 points 45%
                          tUMD 2 points 5%
                          tUMD 1 point 5%
                          tUMD Zip 25%
                          tUMD season ticket holder since 1983-84.

Comment

Originally posted by section16rowA View Post
                            Denver @ tUMD probabilities:

tUMD 6 points 10%
                            tUMD 5 points 5%
                            tUMD 4 points 5%
                            tUMD 3 points 45%
                            tUMD 2 points 5%
                            tUMD 1 point 5%
                            tUMD Zip 25%
                            I’m feeling the 1 point probability
                            I wanna go fast!

Comment

I’m feeling the 1 point probability
                              Really? Is that what you logically think or is this consistent with your negative perspective on the Bulldogs. I'm not a homer or a rose colored glasses guy, but I can't see where all the negatively is coming from. As you previously stated you were a fan through the tough years. I don't know how you survived. You must of had to wear shoes without laces. I guess I'm the odd man out. If this is a gathering for negative Bulldogs fans, I need to go back into USCHO forum dormancy.

Comment

Really? Is that what you logically think or is this consistent with your negative perspective on the Bulldogs. I'm not a homer or a rose colored glasses guy, but I can't see where all the negatively is coming from. As you previously stated you were a fan through the tough years. I don't know how you survived. You must of had to wear shoes without laces. I guess I'm the odd man out. If this is a gathering for negative Bulldogs fans, I need to go back into USCHO forum dormancy.
                                I mean this as nicely as I can, but I think you need to stop being so sensitive. It seems maybe your form of communication hasn't kept up with the times perhaps? The team is 3-3 and hasn't looked great. There was an article from DNT yesterday talking about how the team might have to start skating 5 defensemen every night. This has not started well, and there's nothing wrong with pointing that out. With what we lost (or in this instance, didn't lose) in the offseason and our success the last two years, I think most of us expected to have the record Denver has at this point. It's a let down they've played the way they have to this point. I bet if you asked the players, they'd tell you the same.

This is how the sports world communicates today. It's up and it's down. When the team loses, the sky is falling. When they win, you're going to the 'ship. I obviously don't want to see anybody go into "dormancy" but if you're going to get upset every time somebody points out this team isn't performing to expectations, this forum is going to cause you a lot of frustration.

Comment

Working...
                                X