9. Merrimack
    10. BC
    11. Ferris State
    12. Bentley
    13. RIT
    14. Michigan State
    15. Vermont
    16. UA_

Questions, comments, concerns... who cares? You are talking to a wall. Fade, vizoroo, and the other members of the committee will simply walk away from you.

Now if you will excuse me, I will pour some Fireball.
    How can you possibly have Miami ranked higher than Maine?

Fake news!!!!

Comment

• Re: Bottom Feeders 2017-18

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
      Still taking regional bids. Looking for a West regional especially.

I have found the perfect venue for the West Regional - Rotary Park Ice Rink in Ouray, Colorado (pronounced YOU-ray). Since I can't figger out how to post the pics, you'll have to check it out on Google Earth and be sure to look at the street view. It is a special place... Located less than two miles from the metropolis of Downtown Ouray, I believe this rink has all the necessary lack-of-facilities, difficult access and uncertain weather to qualify for a Bottom Feeders Regional event. And, it is actually in the West – novel idea, I know… Since that other tournament doesn’t actually have a Regional in the West, the Bottom Feeders need to…

It is a natural outdoor ice rink – if it thaws, it thaws… By late March, it may or may not have a usable ice surface, depending on the weather. Plus, it is at the base of an impressive cliff, so rockfalls are a possibility, especially during the spring freeze-thaw cycles.

There is a warming hut, but players would have to take turns, since it doesn’t appear large enough for a whole team.

The rink is maintained by a group of dedicated local volunteers. I’m quite sure there is not a Zamboni within miles. Any occasional resurfacing of the ice sheet, which may or may not occur, will be entirely at the discretion the volunteers. We probably don’t want to give them any advanced notice of the event.

The rink is located at 7,600 feet above sea level. It would be advisable for the players to arrive as close to faceoff time as possible to minimize any acclimatization.

The venue can be accessed from Durango-La Plata County Airport via the drop-dead-gorgeous Million Dollar Highway traversing Coal Bank Pass (10,640 ft), Molas Pass ( 10,910 ft) and Red Mountain Pass (11,018 ft). The road closes frequently due to snow and often has tire-chain restrictions. The drive can take as little as 2 hrs or as long as several days. Direct flights to Durango-La Plata County Airport are available from Phoenix or Dallas. OK, you can get there from Denver, as well, but that’s too easy…

Full Disclosure: I don’t post much, but have been following this excellent thread for years – it is my favorite. I am selfishly promoting this venue for a couple of reasons. As an Alaskan ex-pat now living in Colorado, it would be close to my new home. I traveled to Colorado Springs a couple of weeks ago and watched my UAA Seawolves get trounced by lowly CC… Then they got beat twice by UA_. With a season-opening tie and OT loss to the Fighting Susies, I think UAA may have peaked early, again… Since it looks like UAA has a good chance to host this Regional, I want to be rinkside cheering them on… And the boards are already painted Seawolf Green!

Thank you for your consideration.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        How can you possibly have Miami ranked higher than Maine?

Fake news!!!!
        If Maine tanks, they'll rise.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by tomthumb View Post

I have found the perfect venue for the West Regional - Rotary Park Ice Rink in Ouray, Colorado (pronounced YOU-ray). Since I can't figger out how to post the pics, you'll have to check it out on Google Earth and be sure to look at the street view. It is a special place... Located less than two miles from the metropolis of Downtown Ouray, I believe this rink has all the necessary lack-of-facilities, difficult access and uncertain weather to qualify for a Bottom Feeders Regional event. And, it is actually in the West – novel idea, I know… Since that other tournament doesn’t actually have a Regional in the West, the Bottom Feeders need to…

It is a natural outdoor ice rink – if it thaws, it thaws… By late March, it may or may not have a usable ice surface, depending on the weather. Plus, it is at the base of an impressive cliff, so rockfalls are a possibility, especially during the spring freeze-thaw cycles.

There is a warming hut, but players would have to take turns, since it doesn’t appear large enough for a whole team.

The rink is maintained by a group of dedicated local volunteers. I’m quite sure there is not a Zamboni within miles. Any occasional resurfacing of the ice sheet, which may or may not occur, will be entirely at the discretion the volunteers. We probably don’t want to give them any advanced notice of the event.

The rink is located at 7,600 feet above sea level. It would be advisable for the players to arrive as close to faceoff time as possible to minimize any acclimatization.

The venue can be accessed from Durango-La Plata County Airport via the drop-dead-gorgeous Million Dollar Highway traversing Coal Bank Pass (10,640 ft), Molas Pass ( 10,910 ft) and Red Mountain Pass (11,018 ft). The road closes frequently due to snow and often has tire-chain restrictions. The drive can take as little as 2 hrs or as long as several days. Direct flights to Durango-La Plata County Airport are available from Phoenix or Dallas. OK, you can get there from Denver, as well, but that’s too easy…

Full Disclosure: I don’t post much, but have been following this excellent thread for years – it is my favorite. I am selfishly promoting this venue for a couple of reasons. As an Alaskan ex-pat now living in Colorado, it would be close to my new home. I traveled to Colorado Springs a couple of weeks ago and watched my UAA Seawolves get trounced by lowly CC… Then they got beat twice by UA_. With a season-opening tie and OT loss to the Fighting Susies, I think UAA may have peaked early, again… Since it looks like UAA has a good chance to host this Regional, I want to be rinkside cheering them on… And the boards are already painted Seawolf Green!

Thank you for your consideration.
          We'll put the regional here.
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

New applicant for Midwest Regional - Windigo, MI in Isle Royale National Park.

https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/windigo.htm

Isle Royale averages about 18,000 visitors PER YEAR and Windigo is only accessible by seaplane or private boat. The settlement has a visitor center, a camp store, and cabins to house the teams. The closest hotel is in Rock Harbor on the other end of the island about 40 miles away by foot (there are no roads on the island). As long as the weather holds, Washington Harbor will be frozen over and serve as the ice surface. The National Park will not even be open until late April so no way for fans to attend even if they wanted to. The closest US radio signals are from Grand Marais, MN in the form of a Christian contemporary station and a public radio repeater.

Since the park won't be open yet, it's entirely possible that the regional could be held without rangers even being aware of it.

Comment

Excellent description and choice of Ouray for the West Regional. Ouray also hosts several ice festivals each winter, but the other kind of ice, on the vertical. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                UAA can't be placed in that regional though, assuming they make it - they have a fan that lives too close.

Comment

Originally posted by drshoen View Post
                  We should consult the map used by the "other" tournament - how about somewhere in Maine?
                  Faulty logic. If Maine makes the Futile Four, some people will actually show-up there.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                    New applicant for Midwest Regional - Windigo, MI in Isle Royale National Park.

https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/windigo.htm

Isle Royale averages about 18,000 visitors PER YEAR and Windigo is only accessible by seaplane or private boat. The settlement has a visitor center, a camp store, and cabins to house the teams. The closest hotel is in Rock Harbor on the other end of the island about 40 miles away by foot (there are no roads on the island). As long as the weather holds, Washington Harbor will be frozen over and serve as the ice surface. The National Park will not even be open until late April so no way for fans to attend even if they wanted to. The closest US radio signals are from Grand Marais, MN in the form of a Christian contemporary station and a public radio repeater.

Since the park won't be open yet, it's entirely possible that the regional could be held without rangers even being aware of it.
                    The BFB Committee will pass. This member has been there twice, and despite the extreme difficulty of attendance and lack of amenities, Isle Royale is too scenic and Lake Superior ice is too good, even in late March. We can't have the players enjoying themselves one bit.

Comment

Thank you, I am honored...

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      UAA can't be placed in that regional though, assuming they make it - they have a fan that lives too close.
                      Oh, geeze, you're killin' me here.... I've only got about 20 or so years left on this planet - when am I ever gonna get a chance to see UAA play in March??? If they do make the tournament, I hope you'll consider a hardship case and bend the rules a bit to place them at the Ouray West Regional. I know that other tournament is very rigid and would never compromise the integrity of the seeding to improve ticket sales, but I have faith that this committee can do whatever they want.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomthumb View Post
                        Thank you, I am honored...

Oh, geeze, you're killin' me here.... I've only got about 20 or so years left on this planet - when am I ever gonna get a chance to see UAA play in March??? If they do make the tournament, I hope you'll consider a hardship case and bend the rules a bit to place them at the Ouray West Regional. I know that other tournament is very rigid and would never compromise the integrity of the seeding to improve ticket sales, but I have faith that this committee can do whatever they want.
                        No, we will hook you up with a committee member who has to observe the UAA game. Current seeding says I'm sending St Lawrence to Ouray.

Comment

Faulty logic. If Maine makes the Futile Four, some people will actually show-up there.
                          After this weekend, they will rise to at least a bubble team

Comment

After this weekend, they will rise to at least a bubble team
                            Come on... Maine is a rock-solid Bottom-10 team even as we speak. Run the numbers and get back to me on that one!
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-30-2017, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Come on... Maine is a rock-solid Bottom-10 team even as we speak. Run the numbers and get back to me on that one!
                              Right now, I have a list for SHOTS. But it's not complete. Maine is there, Penn State is there, Miami, Quinnipiac... and UMD is on the bubble.

As of now, I've settled on Ouray for the West Regional and Bad Axe for the Midwest. Still taking suggestions for East and South. St. Lawrence will be going South or West.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                                Right now, I have a list for SHOTS. But it's not complete. Maine is there, Penn State is there, Miami, Quinnipiac... and UMD is on the bubble.

As of now, I've settled on Ouray for the West Regional and Bad Axe for the Midwest. Still taking suggestions for East and South. St. Lawrence will be going South or West.
                                SHOTS will be up tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X