Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: D1 2018-19 scores, discussion, etc

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Clarkson/St. Lawrence went back to back with 3pm/7pm starts.
    It just seems obvious, doesn't it?

I get that some people are against trying to ride the coattails of the men and want the women's games to fly on their own. No one wants that more than me, believe me. But here out east where we're happy to get 500 people in the door, an extra few hundo showing up to see some extra hockey makes a massive difference, and is an obvious way to win over new fans. Especially for the rivalry games!!!

AAAAUGHH i shouldn't have brought this up, it makes me so frustrated every time I think about it...
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Minnesota with it's separate arenas right next door could certainly do a better job of coordinating start times. On Saturday we get a fairly unusual exception to the norm when the women take on UMD at 4:00 and the men host Penn State at 7:00. Makes for a nice doubleheader for those interested in both programs.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I am not sure if there would be any cross over for separate arenas. But, three hours is better than the four hours in the North Country. I am thinking 2.5 hours to maximize the cross over. People get to movie theaters and watch pre-views even though you are there to watch another movie. So this concept is just not related to sports, all things compete for your dollar. Of course if your woman's program draws on its own then that might explain the four hour window in the North Country.
        But, for most Eastern schools it does make sense. The men's teams would also have to watch some before they have to get ready. Any fannies in seats would be better than crickets.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          On Saturday we get a fairly unusual exception to the norm when the women take on UMD at 4:00 and the men host Penn State at 7:00. Makes for a nice doubleheader for those interested in both programs.
          Saturday is already a doubleheader inside of Ridder, as MSU and SCSU play at 1 in the other semifinal.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Minnesota with it's separate arenas right next door could certainly do a better job of coordinating start times. On Saturday we get a fairly unusual exception to the norm when the women take on UMD at 4:00 and the men host Penn State at 7:00. Makes for a nice doubleheader for those interested in both programs.
            UW usually has the Saturday aft games for the women @ 2 and the men @ 7, so it makes a double really easy, allows plenty of time to go down to State St. and grab some food. This year we are doing a double in mid February. I missed one earlier if the year.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
              I am not sure if there would be any cross over for separate arenas. But, three hours is better than the four hours in the North Country. I am thinking 2.5 hours to maximize the cross over. People get to movie theaters and watch pre-views even though you are there to watch another movie. So this concept is just not related to sports, all things compete for your dollar. Of course if your woman's program draws on its own then that might explain the four hour window in the North Country.
              But, for most Eastern schools it does make sense. The men's teams would also have to watch some before they have to get ready. Any fannies in seats would be better than crickets.
              Regarding your last two sentences:

Except when the men's teams are there they are typically in the rink doing their pregame warmup running around, stretching, making noise and laughing with each other horsing around, kicking a soccer ball around and it sometimes coming onto our ice DURING our games. Then you had the game personnel for their games walking around setting up tables, hanging banners, generally making noise, but definitely not paying much attention to or caring about the fact that our game was going on. Then there was always the post-game frenzy to sort of get us out of the way so the setup for the men's game could get going on our bench and wherever else because our start times were only 3 hours apart which meant only about 20 minutes between the end of our game and the start of their on ice warmups and that's not including if our game went to OT. Ya, I always hated having our men's team play right after us. It made us feel very underappreciated and like we were just the warm up act for their games. Maybe other schools treated their men's and women's teams more equally than mine (which will remain nameless) but a lot of us did NOT like having those doubleheaders. Maybe things would have been different with 4 hours between start times. I'll never know.
              Last edited by shelfit; 01-02-2019, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                Saturday is already a doubleheader inside of Ridder, as MSU and SCSU play at 1 in the other semifinal.
                Haha you are correct as always, but I was talking about the rare coordination of the schedules between our two Gopher teams. With the two rinks side-by-side it should be relatively easy if only they tried.

Comment

Haha you are correct as always, but I was talking about the rare coordination of the schedules between our two Gopher teams. With the two rinks side-by-side it should be relatively easy if only they tried.
                  I agree, but I'm glad that they don't do doubleheaders on Fridays. I can see where that would be better for you, though. See you Saturday!
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    I agree, but I'm glad that they don't do doubleheaders on Fridays. I can see where that would be better for you, though. See you Saturday!
                    I'll be there, but with two games to sit through already I'll miss the Mankato/St. Cloud game at 1:00.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post

I get that some people are against trying to ride the coattails of the men and want the women's games to fly on their own. No one wants that more than me, believe me. But here out east where we're happy to get 500 people in the door, an extra few hundo showing up to see some extra hockey makes a massive difference, and is an obvious way to win over new fans. Especially for the rivalry games!!!

AAAAUGHH i shouldn't have brought this up, it makes me so frustrated every time I think about it...

did i hear that one of the NWHL teams was doing this? was it the whitecaps or Buffalo? playing a game before the NHL game seems a great way to get some extra publicity.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                        Ya, I always hated having our men's team play right after us. It made us feel very underappreciated and like we were just the warm up act for their games. Maybe other schools treated their men's and women's teams more equally than mine (which will remain nameless) but a lot of us did NOT like having those doubleheaders.
                        OMG I didn't know you were a player, now I want to know who you are!! haha

At least I know you didn't go to BU at least

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post

The schools need to market to the students better, the players to their friends and the program to local youth programs, especially if a tournament is in town

Comment

I figured I'd put this here, as it's more of an interesting trip down memory lane rather than just being BC related:

Despite The Rough Start, A BC Women’s Hockey Title Run Would Not Be Unprecedented

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                              I figured I'd put this here, as it's more of an interesting trip down memory lane rather than just being BC related:

Despite The Rough Start, A BC Women’s Hockey Title Run Would Not Be Unprecedented
                              Also on the men's side there's no better example than Minnesota-Duluth last season. They barely qualified for the NCAA Tournament (by just .0002 of a point better than Minnesota, thanks to the Gophers losing their last four games to Penn State) but they went on to win the rest of their games and bring home the championship trophy.

Comment

Also on the men's side there's no better example than Minnesota-Duluth last season. They barely qualified for the NCAA Tournament (by just .0002 of a point better than Minnesota, thanks to the Gophers losing their last four games to Penn State) but they went on to win the rest of their games and bring home the championship trophy.
                                That's true although I feel like it happens alllllllll the time in the men's game -- parity is nuts. How many 3-4 seeds have won the title in the last 10 years or so?

Comment

Working...
                                X