Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Soccer XXVIII: Campeones de NorteAmérica.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXVIII: Campeones de NorteAmérica.

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I'll be honest in that I haven't paid much attention to MLS in the past. Now that MNUFC is opening Allianz I wanted to see when their first home game was to see if I could watch it online. Has scheduling always been this bizarre? With the stadium being open air perhaps that's why they don't have a home game until April 13th that ok that makes sense.

But why are there so many stretches of 7+ days between games? They have stretches of 11, 14, 21.... And then they drag the regular season into October only to have to complete with MLB playoffs and the start of the NFL season. Granted there may not be a ton of crossover of fans between the 3 leagues but it still seems strange. There might be some allowances there for non-league games (and possibly to accommodate the National team?) but it still seems odd.
    They wanted to give some buffer with finishing the stadium (they just officially took over the stadium from the construction company last week) and the Final Four is in Minneapolis on 3/6 weekend so they wanted to avoid that as well so it's later than it will normally be but thats the way it goes this season.

Edit: As for your second paragraph...The June break is because of the Gold Cup. March 18-26 and September 2-10 are International Breaks where Countries can call in their players. MLS does not stop for those but teams can choose to schedule around them. MNUFC should prefer to schedule around them with Gregus, Ibarra, Metanire, Calvo, Schuller, Boxall all likely call ups for International Friendlies/competitions. MNUFC will play through the June 3-11 break, but that might not really apply to the CONCACAF/Copa America players because of the Gold Cup break right after? The MLS playoffs are now wedged in between the October and November windows which was a positive move for the league.
    Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 03-05-2019, 10:39 AM.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I thought you hated Portland?
      I hate Portland, I dislike Vancouver, Atlanta, the Galaxy, the Sporks, and the Pigeons.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        They wanted to give some buffer with finishing the stadium (they just officially took over the stadium from the construction company last week) and the Final Four is in Minneapolis on 3/6 weekend so they wanted to avoid that as well so it's later than it will normally be but thats the way it goes this season.

Edit: As for your second paragraph...The June break is because of the Gold Cup. March 18-26 and September 2-10 are International Breaks where Countries can call in their players. MLS does not stop for those but teams can choose to schedule around them. MNUFC should prefer to schedule around them with Gregus, Ibarra, Metanire, Calvo, Schuller, Boxall all likely call ups for International Friendlies/competitions. MNUFC will play through the June 3-11 break, but that might not really apply to the CONCACAF/Copa America players because of the Gold Cup break right after? The MLS playoffs are now wedged in between the October and November windows which was a positive move for the league.
        MLS scheduling tends to avoid home games in early March for Minnesota, Toronto, Montreal and the like due to weather and the bigger reliance on attendance for revenue.

On a different note, MNUFC looks to be really improved this season. I wouldn’t be surprised at them being a playoff team.
        I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          MLS scheduling tends to avoid home games in early March for Minnesota, Toronto, Montreal and the like due to weather and the bigger reliance on attendance for revenue.

On a different note, MNUFC looks to be really improved this season. I wouldn’t be surprised at them being a playoff team.
          I know what you're getting at but that was specifically from an interview with either McGuire or McGee. I forget which...they said they wanted a little extra time to make sure the stadium was ready and then to avoid Final Four weekend since its in Minnesota this year so it fell to 4/13. The last 2 years the home opener was March 12 and 17...so I wouldn't expect it to be April next season.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            I know what you're getting at but that was specifically from an interview with either McGuire or McGee. I forget which...they said they wanted a little extra time to make sure the stadium was ready and then to avoid Final Four weekend since its in Minnesota this year so it fell to 4/13. The last 2 years the home opener was March 12 and 17...so I wouldn't expect it to be April next season.
            No I don’t doubt the weird case for the new stadium this year, that’s common as well, I just know generally the northern teams like Minnesota tend to not have very many home games early on.
            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Bang! Took a lesson from the US Women's Hockey Team

https://deadspin.com/entire-u-s-wome...1833155809/amp
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Bang! Took a lesson from the US Women's Hockey Team

https://deadspin.com/entire-u-s-wome...1833155809/amp
                Picked a good day for it.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I know I will get blasted as being sexist but, if US Soccer is being so discriminatory, why did they sign a new CBA in 2017? It always feels like the USWNT players are blaming the USSF for things the USSF doesn’t control (the money FIFA pays out for the WWC, rich people not wanting to invest in the NWSL, fans not wanting to attend games).
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                    I know I will get blasted as being sexist but, if US Soccer is being so discriminatory, why did they sign a new CBA in 2017? It always feels like the USWNT players are blaming the USSF for things the USSF doesn’t control (the money FIFA pays out for the WWC, rich people not wanting to invest in the NWSL, fans not wanting to attend games).
                    i believe the women are bringing in more revenue than the men in most years recently.
                    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                      i believe the women are bringing in more revenue than the men in most years recently.
                      And the Women get a guaranteed yearly salary in addition to the bonuses while the Men only get paid when they play.

(We’ve been through this before)
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                        Do you have a link on that? If so it's impressive.
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

We were told the team wanted more time to grow their new grass. I expect next year the home opener will be mid to late March.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            you're being very kind to Giovinco to say he left...when it was more he was pushed out because they didn't really want to pay him anymore.
                            They were willing to pay Giovinco just not at the pay level he wanted.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                              Do you have a link on that? If so it's impressive.
                              Pretty much every article since 2016 on this pay topic talks about this fact. Depending on your preferred news source it should be easy to find.
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                And the Women get a guaranteed yearly salary in addition to the bonuses while the Men only get paid when they play.

(We’ve been through this before)
                                I get it, but even if you aggregate pay over whatever time you want to use (1 yr, 4 yr, etc.). Women get paid less. So good for them fighting for more.
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Working...
                                X