X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    No, but in the case of both of the Gophers' first two goals, she was off the pipe and first Skaja and then S. Potomak banked the puck into the net off of the back of her leg. Schammel's game winning goal was at the other end, so I didn't get a look at whether or not something similar happened, though she was definitely down very low.
    From where I was standing, I'm pretty sure Schammel was above the goal line on the game winner. It was a sharp angle, but I think it was a direct shot. Only two Sunday bank transactions necessary
    2005 Piston Cup Champion

Comment

Originally posted by ChickHicks86 View Post
      From where I was standing, I'm pretty sure Schammel was above the goal line on the game winner. It was a sharp angle, but I think it was a direct shot. Only two Sunday bank transactions necessary
      Had a clear view from the corner, and you saw it correctly.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Certainly Sarah Potomak's best two games in awhile. She seemed to have a little more speed than usual. Unfortunately, it was also her most painful two games I would imagine with the crash to the ice yesterday and then another incident today. Did both Sarah today and Zumwinkle I think yesterday get speared in the stomach or was it something else?
        Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-03-2019, 05:02 PM. Reason: I still think Ludwig looks lost out there without Shannon Miller on the bench to tell him what to do.
        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

At this point, I'm less concerned with whether or not the Gophers get a bye in the first round of the WCHA playoffs than I am with doing everything possible to make UMD someone else's problem in the semis. Then again, I'm not I trust the Bulldogs not to drop two of three to Bemidji.

Comment

No, but in the case of both of the Gophers' first two goals, she was off the pipe and first Skaja and then S. Potomak banked the puck into the net off of the back of her leg.
            On Skaja's goal, it wasn't so much that Rooney was off the pipe, as there was a little bit of a gap in the angle and #3 somehow found it. Rooney was as surprised as anyone that it wound up in the net and took a good look at the replay. Sarah's goal was more of a bank shot.

I love the goals the Gophers were scoring. The sky is the limit for the offense if they start going to the net with that kind of determination and don't care how greasy the goals may be.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

At this point, I'm less concerned with whether or not the Gophers get a bye in the first round of the WCHA playoffs than I am with doing everything possible to make UMD someone else's problem in the semis. Then again, I'm not I trust the Bulldogs not to drop two of three to Bemidji.
              UMD turns the puck over a lot which if I was a fan of their team it would drive me nuts.

But in spite of that their goaltender can keep them in games but it is kinda hard to believe they are only a .500 team.
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                ...it is kinda hard to believe they are only a .500 team.
                UMD is the 2nd best Gopher opponent that I've seen at Ridder this year. I also am surprised that their record isn't better. I kept thinking the Gophers would wear them down by playing 4 lines and maybe they did in the 3rd period today, but not that much. Rooney also looked a lot better in goal then when we saw her against Minnesota in Duluth last October. It should all make for a very competitive WCHA tournament this year.
                Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-03-2019, 10:21 PM. Reason: I think the break will help with a few maybe tired and sore players.
                "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

I didn't realize this before, but the WCHA tournament gets reseeded after the quarterfinals. I'm not sure if this has always been the case, but according to the WCHA website: "Following the three (3), quarterfinal-round series, the three (3) winning teams will be re-seeded #2 through #4 according to their standings in the final WCHA regular season competition and will join the #1 seed in the WCHA Final Faceoff."

In my opinion, the value of the #1 seed then is less about the week off (though this can be important if a team has nagging injuries), but more about getting the matchup against the lowest seeded team. It would not surprise me at all if UMD and/or OSU lost to Bemidji and/or Mankato in the quarters, which would give the #1 seed the Beavers or Mavericks as the semifinal. Not a total walk in the park for the 1 seed, but the 2 seed is more than likely getting UMD or OSU, which have both shown they can beat the Gophers on a given night (though that OSU game was a long, long time ago). Especially given that Duluth currently controls their destiny (sorry Bob Costas, I'm still using the expression) for the 3rd seed, the top seed looks to me to be still be the most desirable spot.

I'm with bluffrinkrat, in that the WCHA tournament is setting up to be very interesting indeed!
                  2005 Piston Cup Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    I was assuming the second one was UM, because UMD had already used one after they went on the PK. It would make more sense that it was the Gophers planning strategy or wanting to use certain people on the PP who were currently on the ice, if the first one was announced incorrectly. I'd feel better about that, because for the Gophers to call that one in OT would make zero sense.
                    Putting a bow on this part of the conversation...

One of the new rules implemented this year was/is that, if you use your timeout in regulation, you get another to use in overtime. UMD called both on Saturday (as they also did when they played the Gophers to the 2-2 tie back on October 6).
                    Last edited by CrazyDave; 02-04-2019, 11:08 PM.
                    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by ChickHicks86 View Post
                      I didn't realize this before, but the WCHA tournament gets reseeded after the quarterfinals. I'm not sure if this has always been the case...
                      I think that it has always been the case, as far as I can remember. It doesn't come into play much, as most of the upsets involved the #4 vs #5 pairing, so the point is moot. As far as the bye, I think it might help UW more, as the Badgers play seven straight weeks heading into the tournament, while UM will have only played two straight weeks after having this weekend off. The Gophers can easily lose to any of UMD, OSU, or BSU, so the reseed shouldn't matter a whole lot to them.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Ahh yes...I guess we shouldn't talk about #5 and a couple of the other D although there were plenty of examples this afternoon of the curious "decision" making. It really wouldn't have mattered though if Alex Gulstene had been sharp which she was not. Actually UMD should have won the game right at the end of regulation as what could only be called a desperation shot somehow did not go in and clanked off the post.
                        "curious" ?

there is no doubt, there have been some really boneheaded plays attempted this year, it would be nice to know what was going thru their mind
                        but still, if you are going to whine about decision making don't be so vague
                        even the 8 year olds being molested by Goldy saw and recognized the boneheaded plays, are those what you are referring to or is it something else?

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                          even the 8 year olds saw and recognized the boneheaded plays
                          There ya go.

Comment

There ya go.
                            OK, I get it now, you are making a mountain out of a molehill,
                            none of them have resulted in a goal, just high blood pressure among the fans (and perhaps the coaches and goalies)
                            as D2D said, if they were making bad decisions they wouldn't be where they are

on the other hand, how many times can you do these sort of things and get away with it?
                            I guess we'll find out

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                              none of them have resulted in a goal
                              I'm kinda partial to the whole MAMOOAM thing.

The whole year or just this past weekend with UMD? Because they have absolutely had times this year where those have resulted in goals.

Comment

Nice feature on Gopher goalie recruit Skylar Vetter, aired last night on KSTP's 10 o'clock news.

https://kstp.com/sports/lakeville-no...246888/?cat=81
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X