X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2015 Off Season Thread: Another Long Spring and Summer

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
    The sophomore class may not be great, but the freshman class is very good, if they can stay healthy. Because zalewski and haggerty left early, the senior class was not strong. I really don't think Dr. Jackson or her tight circle of advisors care about the fans or wins and losses.
    I too am concerend about the health of several of the class of '18, but there is a lot of talent there. As to the sophs, I think that Reno is the most talnted but has been having trouble making the lineup. Bourbonnais also showed noteworthy ability at times.

To be picky, Z would have been a junior.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      No no no, I'm talking about forms that are quite illegal, especially if you follow acts from the 60's to a tee.
      Whatever
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Anyone who thinks that the school administration gives a hoot about winning hockey is taking medication. The only people winning means anything to are the boys who come here, us posters, and believe it or not, the coaches. We have as much talent or as little talent as almost any other ECAC team. We just cannot get over the hump and win the games we could and we most certainly do not score the goals that would put games away. We did not get blown out by SLU, and they are a very good team, but we did not score against them. Goalie or no goalie all we needed was a couple first or second period goals in each game and we win.
        This was indeed another long losing season. But I am sure all of us will be back here next year to see if the group of recruits can add to the already very decent nucleus from this past year. This past freshman class was talented and exciting. Add one more class like that and a couple kids who can win face offs and we could have a much better year.
        All of this though predicated on a season where we do not lead the league in penalties while at the same time drawing the fewest by an incredibly wide margin. Special teams and face offs killed us this year and if that gets addressed in some way, honestly believe that a 20+ loss season can be a 20+ win season. But then again, I am always optimistic when the countdown is 203 days to go.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          But then again, I am always optimistic when the countdown is 203 days to go.
          Ittakes me a while to get over the disappointment of the past season.

There is indeed some talent coming in especially Tironese, Wiffen, and Dillon. But each has question marks in my mind. Tironese because of his injury and size, Wiffen because he is posting great numbers as an overage player, and Dillon because I don't know how he will be without a dominant team in front of him.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Anyone who thinks that the school administration gives a hoot about winning hockey is taking medication. The only people winning means anything to are the boys who come here, us posters, and believe it or not, the coaches. We have as much talent or as little talent as almost any other ECAC team. We just cannot get over the hump and win the games we could and we most certainly do not score the goals that would put games away. We did not get blown out by SLU, and they are a very good team, but we did not score against them. Goalie or no goalie all we needed was a couple first or second period goals in each game and we win.
            This was indeed another long losing season. But I am sure all of us will be back here next year to see if the group of recruits can add to the already very decent nucleus from this past year. This past freshman class was talented and exciting. Add one more class like that and a couple kids who can win face offs and we could have a much better year.
            All of this though predicated on a season where we do not lead the league in penalties while at the same time drawing the fewest by an incredibly wide margin. Special teams and face offs killed us this year and if that gets addressed in some way, honestly believe that a 20+ loss season can be a 20+ win season. But then again, I am always optimistic when the countdown is 203 days to go.
            I'm more worried about the sophomore slump, and if any of those players drop off. Remember the hope we had for Pat Cullen after his freshman year, and how much he fell off?

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
              I think Lee will become the full-time AD.
              That would seem to note bode well for coach, judging by McElroy's comments a few months ago and the comparisons he drew to Union hockey

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/ne...ning-rpis.html

Comment

Originally posted by vicious View Post
                That would seem to note bode well for coach, judging by McElroy's comments a few months ago and the comparisons he drew to Union hockey

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/ne...ning-rpis.html
                From the same article: "An equally big focus is the academic standards and community involvement Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute expects from its more than 500 student athletes, McElroy said." Seth excels in this area.
                "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

COMPLETELY agree Doc. Great post. What the admin cares about is all of the off-ice stuff- in the classroom and community. If a few teams happen to excel, it's icing on the cake in their minds. Not saying I like it, but I sure believe it's fact.
                  ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

The crazy thing about that article and the brand "exapnsion" is RPI's brand from the hockey program was bigger and better before Seth arrived, and has dwindled since his arrival, especially if you use Schenectady as a measuring stick.

The hockey program has always been a bellwether for the community involvement, starting from the Toys for Tots and BBBS programs. It's great McElroy wants to bring all of the programs up to the level of hockey team. I'm sure he also wants to elevate the hockey team's performance "between the lines" to the others...maybe?
                    Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                      The crazy thing about that article and the brand "exapnsion" is RPI's brand from the hockey program was bigger and better before Seth arrived, and has dwindled since his arrival, especially if you use Schenectady as a measuring stick.

The hockey program has always been a bellwether for the community involvement, starting from the Toys for Tots and BBBS programs. It's great McElroy wants to bring all of the programs up to the level of hockey team. I'm sure he also wants to elevate the hockey team's performance "between the lines" to the others...maybe?
                      "Bringing all programs up" is exactly what I suspected has been happening for the past few years: They're trying to advance football, eventually move the entire school to D-I FCS, and hockey will be left in the dust.

And unfortunately, "winning brings ticket sales" doesn't work with this administration because they don't get the ticket sales money. Perhaps the PU and GM should become much more involved in the selection of said staff.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                        From the same article: "An equally big focus is the academic standards and community involvement Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute expects from its more than 500 student athletes, McElroy said." Seth excels in this area.

I agree with you there, but I took McElroy's quotes to mean he will expect results in both areas - wins and academics. The impression I get is that success in only one of these two areas will not meet his expectations.

Comment

"Bringing all programs up" is exactly what I suspected has been happening for the past few years: They're trying to advance football, eventually move the entire school to D-I FCS, and hockey will be left in the dust.
                          This makes no sense to me. Maybe the plan is to follow a Colgate/Holy Cross -Patriot League model of D1 hockey and football? Given that McElroy elevated UA sports to D-1, maybe he would try to do that here if he becomes permanent AD. But how would this in any way leave hockey in the dust?

Comment

This makes no sense to me. Maybe the plan is to follow a Colgate/Holy Cross -Patriot League model of D1 hockey and football? Given that McElroy elevated UA sports to D-1, maybe he would try to do that here if he becomes permanent AD. But how would this in any way leave hockey in the dust?
                            It wouldn't. Just little Flaggy looking for attention again by being his typical as$ clown self.

Comment

If scholarship money is going towards football and basketball, are they going to have enough left for hockey?

Comment

If scholarship money is going towards football and basketball, are they going to have enough left for hockey?
                                No one is this stupid. This is an act.
                                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Working...
                                X