• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

Let's hope all of them are Dumpies.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      But, if you want to do that as an employer, you should have the right.
      Why?
      Cornell University
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Temp-to-Hire. My company does it all the time. After three or four months, if you've proved your worth, you're hired on as an FTE. If you've failed to do the job, your temp contract is terminated. Thus far, the temp contract termination happens (I'd guess) around 15% of the time. Often times, the failing temp employee will leave before s/he has the chance to be fired. Rarely do they leave without having other employment lined up first.
        Here is what I don't like about the temp-to-hire method, especially in an at-will state. As you pointed out, a lot of places run the temp period for 90 days. Once the employee passes that 90 days, there seems to be an implicit message that they have achieved some sort of permanent or protected status. Almost like it's tenure, or that they can't be fired except for cause. But in an at-will state, that's not the case. There is literally no difference in their legal status between day 89 and day 91, even though the employee thinks there is.

Second, I think it's a joke that people think that in 90 days you can figure out if someone can and will do the job as you have a right to expect them to do. 90 days is nothing.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Why?
          Because it's your business.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Why?
            Freedumz!!!!!
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Because it's your business.
              This is the argument that you should be able to pump as much smog into the air and filth into the water as you want because it's your business.

We got over that 50 years ago. Try to keep up. A business has certain responsibilities. Some of those responsibilities should extend to the people who work for you. If that's too much for your poor, fragile shoulders to bear, don't go into business.

John Galt can eat a bag of dicks. That ship sailed long ago. Not my fault that there are still atavists who cling to it.
              Cornell University

Comment

This is the argument that you should be able to pump as much smog into the air and filth into the water as you want because it's your business.

We got over that 50 years ago. Try to keep up. A business has certain responsibilities. Some of those responsibilities should extend to the people who work for you. If that's too much for your poor, fragile shoulders to bear, don't go into business.

John Galt can eat a bag of dicks. That ship sailed long ago. Not my fault that there are still atavists who cling to it.
                Pollution, etc..., is a completely different animal.

Employment is just work for hire. I have something I want done. I'm willing to pay you to do it. You're interested in doing it.

If I don't want to continue that relationship, why should I have to? You don't have to. This is not a marriage where we vowed to be tied together for better or for worse. Even in marriage now, in many places, you don't have to show cause.

You guys are all hung up on the stigma of "being fired" or the economic consequences of the work no longer there.

Comment

Let's hope all of them are Dumpies.
                  Well, that should cost him Michigan this time around, even though it was already trending that way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Why?
                    Profit.
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Also, contract employment is often a scam used to flog someone for 6-12 months without having to give them any benefits, then dump them regardless of actual performance. There are 2-3 contract positions like that from firms and the state gov't here in Michigan that I always see posted on the job boards, and I know it's because that's what they are doing, and that practice is exactly why they tend to get lower quality candidates now that the word is out.

Anyway, isn't this the SCOTUS thread?

Comment

Employment is just work for hire. I have something I want done. I'm willing to pay you to do it. You're interested in doing it.

If I don't want to continue that relationship, why should I have to? You don't have to. This is not a marriage where we vowed to be tied together for better or for worse. Even in marriage now, in many places, you don't have to show cause.

You guys are all hung up on the stigma of "being fired" or the economic consequences of the work no longer there.
                        So you don't see employment rules protecting people just like pollution rules?

By your logic, if people are willing to work for it, I should be able to give them low pay. And I should be able to hire children at low pay as well. And if they get cranky in the morning, I should be able to replace them by the afternoon.

Yes, that's an extreme example, but it is.

What you don't see is that by letting a business fire for no reason, you then harm the employee- they lose the ability to pay for food, shelter, etc.

How can you just gloss over the economic implications of just firing someone for no reason? That's a pretty big deal for people, it's like the most stressful thing to people, especially ones surviving from paycheck to paycheck.

Regulations are 100% because people and businesses can not behave themselves, and their lack of behavior harms something (people, environment, animals, etc). Thus the regulations around not firing someone.

You really come across as someone who is totally out of touch with the reality of many people.

Comment

I would say you should be clear about what constitutes a dismissal from the job. I see this a lot in the local paper (the Boston Globe) which is completely in with the legal pot industry so every week they print a sob story about some toker who got canned for failing a drug test due to recreational marijuana usage. My take is if you were told ahead of time that drug usage was grounds for being fired on the spot don't use drugs. A friend of mine had a similar situation when he worked for Baylor U. He was told point blank that if he was seen consuming alcohol, even on his own time at a restaurant in town, he'd be out of a job. However, its extremely unfair to have a secret "no red tennis shoes" policy to use your example, not tell anybody about it, and then shi tcan someone when they show up for work with them.
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            And you would have a point in a perfect world. But the truth is we cant just assume everyone is acting on the up and up just because you happen too. If we apply your standard it is 100% that people will abuse it. Until that isnt the case, sorry, but too bad.
                            100% of government regulations are because someone, somewhere, did something that caused government to create that law or rule. The problem is 100% caused by snake oil salesmen, used car salesmen, and their ilk trying to twist every little thing their way.

Comment

If you want to see employee exploitation, all you need to do is go down to your local "big box" retailer.

At my location we've had a ton of firings. Some are 100% legit: repeated No Call/No Show, "Hard" drug use, "Hand in the till", product theft/scams.

But at the same time there is a 6 year employee who is a functional alcoholic and EVERYONE in the building except 4 of the 6 managers knows this. They keep turning a blind eye to it. One manager just doesn't want to deal with ANYTHING like this so he plays 250% dumb with issues like this. Another manager has called this employee out before, but was quickly told to not bring up the issue again (and the reason she was told to let it ride was because of some other high profile firings due to the "hard" drug use and senior management knew that another firing might show that they are allowing chaos in the workplace ).

But while this was occurring, there was another employee who would call management out on B.S. mentioned above. They would do the job well and get stuff done. They were just a "fly in the ointment" to management. That employee was fired for using the F-word several times in a conversation with another employee and creating a "hostile work environment". For the record, we speak in "soft R-rated language" amongst each other all the time. Managers know this and hadn't said a word for years until this employee was let go. But since then, it's been a point of emphasis. And ironically, EVERYONE in the *darn* store has F-wordED UP in following said policy

Point of this is that if an employer wants you to go, they can fabricate whatever they need to in order to get the result they want. That's why employee handbooks read like a legal document. You might do A, B, and C that boss doesn't like, but they can't touch you for. But buried in the handbook is Offense T that never comes about and no one enforces/knows. And all of a sudden here comes a crucifixion for T...
                              Last edited by RaceBoarder; 07-23-2019, 06:23 PM.
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

That’s the kind of stuff that makes me say “that’s what unions are for.”

If they tried that at my work that employee would be back the next day. Even drug/alcohol issues require an opportunity to go to rehab before anything. If there’s one thing that’s backwards it’s the anti-union myth of “they keep bad employees around”, no bad management too lazy to actually keep track of things keeps bad employees around.

If you really want to see how an employer feels about you try reporting an injury, even in a union workplace it’s an ordeal, I shudder to think what it’s like elsewhere.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X