X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New WCHA is dead

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
    in regard to the possible formation of a newnewWCHA;

and conceivably, as far as names go, you have all member schools in states that have a shore on one (or two or three or four) of the great lakes;

GLHA - Great Lakes Hockey Association
    Not to be confused with the Great Lakes Hockey League (the only adult "travel" checking league in USA Hockey) or the Ohio high school league of the same name.

Comment

Originally posted by dparter View Post
      Not to be confused with the Great Lakes Hockey League (the only adult "travel" checking league in USA Hockey) or the Ohio high school league of the same name.
      my other suggestion was TAHA - Tornado Alley Hockey Association

but then UAH needs to be part of it.

Comment

my other suggestion was TAHA - Tornado Alley Hockey Association

but then UAH needs to be part of it.
        We know tornadoes and have the atmospheric science people to track and analyze them! I imagine that Bemidji has two guys in snow plows doing storm chasing.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
          in regard to the possible formation of a newnewWCHA;

could RIT be considered as an eight member joining the magnificent seven?

RIT is much closer to BGSU then UAH. and its about the same for BSU (the furthest team from UAH) to travel to either.

and that way too AHA also goes to an even number of 10 members - or maybe RIT and UAH just trade places.

RIT's coach is a BGSU alum...

and conceivably, as far as names go, you have all member schools in states that have a shore on one (or two or three or four) of the great lakes;

GLHA - Great Lakes Hockey Association

GO TECH GOLD!
          What would RIT get out of it besides increased travel costs?
          #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
            What would RIT get out of it besides increased travel costs?
            i would like to think, and possibly lie to myself, that RIT would be among more 'like-minded' schools in a 'better' conference then AHA.

RIT undergrad enrollment is at around 16,000 - the next biggest school in the AHA is RM at not even 5,000.

or just because there is a 'T' that spells out about the same thing in both RIT and MTU - and maybe too that the wildcats could use another feline friend.

truth be told, niagara, canisius, robert morris, and mercyhurst are all closer to the magnificent seven then RIT is...

hell, combine the two conferences, create two (or more) regions and pay for only one **** commissioner, staff corps, and office.

GO TECH GOLD!
            Last edited by DrunkTrainPolka; 07-30-2019, 10:10 AM.

Comment

hell, combine the two conferences, create two (or more) regions and pay only one **** commissioner, staff, and office.

GO TECH GOLD!
              Good point DTP. I like the idea of a large conference with divisions. If you could get 12 teams in two 6-team divisions you could have a nice 26-game league schedule. Two series against the other 5 in your division, three from the other division one series at home and the other three one series on the road. You could have BGSU, RIT, Niagara, Canisius, Robert Morris and Mercyhurst in the east and MTU, NMU, LSSU, FSU, BSU and MSU in the west. That would leave AHA with 6 and they keep their NCAA bid.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                Good point DTP. I like the idea of a large conference with divisions. If you could get 12 teams in two 6-team divisions you could have a nice 26-game league schedule. Two series against the other 5 in your division, three from the other division one series at home and the other three one series on the road. You could have BGSU, RIT, Niagara, Canisius, Robert Morris and Mercyhurst in the east and MTU, NMU, LSSU, FSU, BSU and MSU in the west. That would leave AHA with 6 and they keep their NCAA bid.

and, or but, if getting into the tourney is really the goal, create three six/six+ team conferences for three bids;

1. MSU/BSU/MTU/NMU/LSSU/FSU

2. BGSU/RMU/MU/CC/NU/RIT

3. THE REST OF THE AHA SCHOOLS

and maybe there is a way to place air force in a better spot... and maybe even include UAH into all of this.

Comment

and, or but, if getting into the tourney is really the goal, create three six/six+ team conferences for three bids;

2. BGSU/RMU/MU/CC/NU/RIT

and maybe there is a way to place air force in a better spot... and maybe even include UAH into all of this.
                  I think the "better spot" for Air Force, in their opinion, is in the same conference as Army.

With your alignment, you may get a third auto-bid, but there is no DI schools in your western conference. I doubt any of those schools want to give up their "seat at the NCAA table"

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post

In that case: the rest of the AHA would actually be in okay shape.

They’d have the service academies and four schools (none of whom can draw many fans and I’m assuming would welcome cost savings wherever they can get them) that are fairly well concentrated around CT/MA. Even then, only Air Force is not conveniently located.

If people are worried about the stability of the AHA in that case: 6/7 of the remaining DII schools share a conference with AIC and Bentley. The other one is in CT. If they got a waiver from the NCAA to play for the DI title, they’d all be a great fit for the remains of the AHA.
                    Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 07-30-2019, 10:15 AM.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

i would like to think, and possibly lie to myself, that RIT would be among more 'like-minded' schools in a 'better' conference then AHA.

RIT undergrad enrollment is at around 16,000 - the next biggest school in the AHA is RM at not even 5,000.

or just because there is a 'T' that spells out about the same thing in both RIT and MTU - and maybe too that the wildcats could use another feline friend.

truth be told, niagara, canisius, robert morris, and mercyhurst are all closer to the magnificent seven then RIT is...

hell, combine the two conferences, create two (or more) regions and pay for only one **** commissioner, staff corps, and office.

GO TECH GOLD!
                      RIT is pretty happy in the AHA right now, and I don't see them going anywhere except maybe a post-ivy ECAC, with Clarkson, RPI, SLU, etc. That fits in more with their Liberty League counterparts anyway. Unless RIT decides to someday go D-I everywhere (I pray for it every day, but I don't think its very likely any time soon), I don't see them anywhere other than AHA or ECAC.

Comment

2. BGSU/RMU/MU/CC/NU/RIT

Where would Alabama Huntsville be? If we are restructuring the leagues to help with geography and travel, they belong in one of the leagues in my opinion. The college hockey world can not let a viable program die. It would help if they can get their new building, but their current arena situation is livable.
                        Last edited by Hockey John; 07-30-2019, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                          I think the "better spot" for Air Force, in their opinion, is in the same conference as Army.

With your alignment, you may get a third auto-bid, but there is no DI schools in your western conference. I doubt any of those schools want to give up their "seat at the NCAA table"

i suppose its a decision you have to make;

what weighs more? (1) having BGSU as your D-I representative, or (2) getting one more auto-bid.

i am not an army or air force alum/fan. so its hard to pass judgement on if they need to be in the same conference or not.

they could however do what the AK schools did with the governor's cup - call it the military cup; you don't have to be in the same conference to make that happen.

air force could too be with the two other colorado schools... but let's not open that can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey John View Post
                            Where would Alabama Huntsville be? If we are restructuring the leagues to help with geography and travel, they belong in one of the leagues in my opinion. The college hockey world can not let a viable program die. It would help if they can get their new building, but their current arena situation is livable.
                            a few options (with some that can overlap);

1. with AHA making it 12 (like minded/sized).
                            2. with AHA in the place of RIT (RIT is too big).
                            3. with BGSU (the closest team).
                            4. with USAFA (air force -vs- space force).

Comment

The Serratore-Corbett relationship aside, there wasn't a lot of joy in playing each other in the old CHA.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

i suppose its a decision you have to make;

what weighs more? (1) having BGSU as your D-I representative, or (2) getting one more auto-bid.

i am not an army or air force alum/fan. so its hard to pass judgement on if they need to be in the same conference or not.

they could however do what the AK schools did with the governor's cup - call it the military cup; you don't have to be in the same conference to make that happen.

air force could too be with the two other colorado schools... but let's not open that can of worms.
                                You also have to accept the fact that if one of the 6 institutions struggles and suddenly needs to drop hockey or decides to try to get into NCHC (and succeeds) you lose your autobid. This is why most leagues throughout history have been at least 8 teams.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X