X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Keep The Calendar At Zero

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    You can own your hunting rifle. Just no semi-autos will be for sale anymore. We're going to purge them from the system. For handguns a revolver will be ok.
    Good luck with that for the many reasons stated by quite a few people on here (who have represented all sides of the gun issue).
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

You can own your hunting rifle. Just no semi-autos will be for sale anymore. We're going to purge them from the system. For handguns a revolver will be ok.
      Won't happen in the next 25 years without a huge sea change in the attitudes of those protecting the gun manufacturers.

Perhaps that change will come from law enforcement. In Pittsburgh and in Thousand Oaks cops rushed in immediately and tried to do what they could to stop the shooters. One was killed in Thousand Oaks and a number were wounded in Pittsburgh, including one very seriously injured.

What this proves is even highly trained good guys with guns can't prevent massive casualties and sometimes will give their lives in the attempt. If law enforcement officers take up the cause of sane, effective gun control even reluctant politicians may need to finally offer more than thoughts and prayers.

Sadly though the carnage will need to continue and many, many more cops will probably die before even this happens. The shooters will learn that from one corner of the country to the other, cops are being instructed to engage immediately in a mass shooting incident, and we are seeing them do just that more and more. So the shooters are going to prepare for this and to be sure, at one of these incidents the number of officers killed is going to alarm even the most ardent opponents of sane and effective gun control.

The officer in Thousand Oaks was a near-30 year veteran of law enforcement, working for an agency with extremely high standards and extensive training. I can't imagine a more effective good guy with a gun. He saved lives but paid for our stupidity with his.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Good luck with that for the many reasons stated by quite a few people on here (who have represented all sides of the gun issue).
        Typical American. Give up in the face of long odds. It's why I've gone from proud of my country to ashamed to live here.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          Keeping in mind you are on one of the sides...
          Brent doesn't take sides. He's a "centrist"

Brent's way above all that partisan crap that the rest of us losers engage in. Brent's all superior-like.

Brent's the smartest guy in the room. Just ask him. Why the rest of you clowns can't see that is because of your partisan blinders.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Typical American. Give up in the face of long odds. It's why I've gone from proud of my country to ashamed to live here.
            Fade laid it out in a detailed manner earlier in the thread. Again, short of a full military/police state action, it's not feasible/sustainable. It's just not.

I think we are all closer to agreement on the "new gun control" terms, it's just a couple little details that are different.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Fade laid it out in a detailed manner earlier in the thread. Again, short of a full military/police state action, it's not feasible/sustainable. It's just not.

I think we are all closer to agreement on the "new gun control" terms, it's just a couple little details that are different.
              I don't give a ****.

This isn't happening in Europe. And, they have Health Care.

Eventually the police are going to get sick and tired. Then it will change. The good guy with the gun and the armed guard argument doesn't work anymore.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I don't give a ****.

This isn't happening in Europe. And, they have Health Care.

Eventually the police are going to get sick and tired. Then it will change. The good guy with the gun and the armed guard argument doesn't work anymore.
                And we have all mentioned ad nauseum that the US has a completely different attitude towards guns in general, which is really sad.

Comment

And we have all mentioned ad nauseum that the US has a completely different attitude towards guns in general, which is really sad.
                  No.

A small minority of people in the US have a different attitude. And those people, as documented, have found a way to stack the Courts, and gather power in Washington to corrupt the process and prevent the will of the people from happening.

Same thing with Health Care.

Same thing with the Military.

Same thing with trickle down.

And this country is going to go the way Rome did if it doesn't wake the **** up.

Comment

No.

A small minority of people in the US have a different attitude. And those people, as documented, have found a way to stack the Courts, and gather power in Washington to corrupt the process and prevent the will of the people from happening.

Same thing with Health Care.

Same thing with the Military.

Same thing with trickle down.

And this country is going to go the way Rome did if it doesn't wake the **** up.
                    I think you underestimate the problem by saying it is a small number. While likely a minority, it isn't a small number of people. We made the mistake of assuming in 2016 it was a small number of old white guys who supported trump. If it truly was just 1 or 2% of the population that thought all we need to do is continue to send thoughts and prayers, this wouldn't be happening so often.

Comment

I think a good place to begin the change we need to see is finding a way to get physicians and their lobbying groups to begin to really take the issue on in a very political way. Yes, political. The time to reflect and offer thoughts and prayers ended years ago. We need to point fingers, assign blame and seek political solutions to this problem. The next thing we need to do is allow the CDC full autonomy and the necessary funding to begin to look at gun violence as an issue the same way we have them look at AIDS and Ebola and anything else that can kill people indiscriminately. Lobbying by physician's organizations might make this a reality. Finally, street cops can convince their FOP locals (or any other union they may fall under) that addressing access to weapons that make rapid killing an easy task for anyone with a finger is much more important than lobbying to have incompetent cops put back on patrol.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                        I think a good place to begin the change we need to see is finding a way to get physicians and their lobbying groups to begin to really take the issue on in a very political way. Yes, political. The time to reflect and offer thoughts and prayers ended years ago. We need to point fingers, assign blame and seek political solutions to this problem. The next thing we need to do is allow the CDC full autonomy and the necessary funding to begin to look at gun violence as an issue the same way we have them look at AIDS and Ebola and anything else that can kill people indiscriminately. Lobbying by physician's organizations might make this a reality. Finally, street cops can convince their FOP locals (or any other union they may fall under) that addressing access to weapons that make rapid killing an easy task for anyone with a finger is much more important than lobbying to have incompetent cops put back on patrol.
                        The predominant gun safety organization in the United States just vilified doctors for even bringing the subject up. I do not understand how these people can be mad or upset at liberals for saying they don't deserve their toys. They deserve to have them taken away. When safety, and common sense laws are the last things on the NRA and gun owners minds.

They care about neither.

If they cared they would be active in the political arena on fixing this **** so they can keep their toys. Instead their answer to the problem the last 10 years is conceal and carry and armed guards in elementary schools.

Rome is burning.

Comment

It's because the NRA has evolved itself into the marketing arm of the weapons sellers.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            It's because the NRA has evolved itself into the marketing arm of the weapons sellers.
                            Completely agree.

I also think that the majority of responsible gun owners (my opinion, and my opinion only) cannot stand the NRA because of their current status/stance. The NRA does more harm to responsible gun owners, as some lump ALL gun owners into the NRA camp, which is simply not true.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                              No one in this thread seems to be acknowledging the real motivation here. Until the NRA pimped themselves out to the gun manufacturers they were a safety organization, ran classes and espoused responsible gun ownership. Then they figured out it was much more effective/lucrative to promote fear and catastrophic theories. What has been the end result with them changing tune? When I was a kid people took guns for granted when they were a part of their lives (hunting, target shooting) but very few people ignorant of guns would have been racing out to buy one for protection. Now we have a bunch of ignoramuses owning guns because they have to protect themselves and their loved ones from a manufactured boogey man. They have so convinced people this is reality it has become one. Before the biggest death from gun violence was related to accidental (read improperly handled weapons) death. Now?
                              And the other side hasn’t changed? The NRA deserves some blame, but Bloomberg and the other anti-gunners are just as much if not more radical. Myself and other gun owners would like to see some things changed, the problem is that once that happens Bloomberg and co will be pushing for more extreme measures until guns are effectively banned. Like a lot of other issues there are too many extremists and the country suffers.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Completely agree.

I also think that the majority of responsible gun owners (my opinion, and my opinion only) cannot stand the NRA because of their current status/stance. The NRA does more harm to responsible gun owners, as some lump ALL gun owners into the NRA camp, which is simply not true.
                                I don't believe you.

If they truly wanted to speak out against the NRA they would have started a new Gun Safety organization to compete with it. Instead I hear *crickets*.

The fact is the majority of gun owners horded guns when Obama was in office because they believed Fox News when it told them he was coming door to door to take them away. And, the majority of gun owners believe they can save themselves from a mad man with an AR-15 if the have their gun with them. A thought that can be proven ridiculous over and over and over again.

Comment

Working...
                                X