Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
    Actually, it was higher attendance this season, but lower numbers of tickets scanned. So... a bit of a good news, but until they start winning more consistently, it's going to be hard to get the crowds back.
    And the only sell out and highest attended game was one of, if not the worst performances of the year (Saturday vs the goofs).
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
      I'm calling Bull **** on your post. Age has no bearing.....there are 16 and 17 year olds in the USHL. Chicago had a 6 to 2 lead and the Jets didnt give a ******. Scott Foster played the last 14 minutes and had 7 saves. Also, you better believe that Q told the D to step or they'll be dusters.

How many of those recruits you speak of were goaltenders? 1st liners? I've said it before, I'll say it again, you're 3rd or 4th chair trumpet player, 3rd or 4th string QB, 3rd or 4th assistant manager at a business OR in the NAHL for a reason.

I'll make a deal with you. You take guys from the NAHL and I'll take guys from the USHL. If you win one ****ing game, I'll buy you one Ian's Pizza a month for life. We just have to find more financial backing to start a couple teams.

This program should not have to look at Tier 2 programs for players and I didn't call them bums.

I doubt Q had to say anything, the boys know what it means to get in the show for anybody, no doubt they wanted to do good for a guy.

Interesting fact: Foster played in the WOHL, a Tier III Junior "B" league, before going D1 at Western Michigan and then straight to the NHL!!

...er...ok... so it was 12 years of beer leagues later... still... I wonder how many guys have a 0.0 ga and 1.000 sv % career in the NHL?

Arguing about goalies is about the dumbest thing we can do because hardly anybody knows if any of them will be any good tomorrow, let alone next year. The two time defending B1G Goaltender of the Year had an .885 sv% in the B1G this year... go figure... But what else are we going to do? Talk about golf?

I'm not suggesting the leagues are equal, obviously they're not. But I'll take the 20 best players in the NAHL, get some time to practice, and we'll play the Caps. You don't think I can possibly win games? My main concern there would be what shipping method you're going to use to get my pizza to me.

Age matters. There are only a couple of 18 year olds getting the net regularly in the USHL. Also rare is that Lebedeff played 25 games for the Caps as a 17 year old. My best info tells me that he was likely to sit behind 20 year old Mankato commit, Dryden Mckay this year. Not that Mckay was so much better, he wasn't, but Lebedeff just didn't get wins (on a not very good team) for some reason. In fact Lebedeff's '16-'17 Caps numbers (3.30ga -.906) are almost identical to McKay's (3.30 ga - 9.09) this year.

Even so, Lebedeff could've still probably stayed with the Caps, he's better than Caps 19 year old back up Lamoreaux ( 4.03ga -.900). Or, he could just run down the road to Janesville and get the net a lot more.

He couldn't just go play for any USHL team, the Caps kept him on their 30 man protected list in the fall, plus the other thing that works against Lebedeff is any USHL team can only have 4 imports on their roster. He's not on equal footing with American players. So instead he went to the Jets, didn't have a super start, Lake State commit Nieto did, and he's splitting time. So what?

If Lebedeff doesn't come to UW this year, it's pretty hard to imagine he won't be be the #1 for the Caps in the fall. Then he'd be back in the USHL (and worthy.)
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

He is coming this year, correct? He signed his NLI.
        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

https://***********/mattjurusik/stat...66353604825088 Matt Jurusik to Mich. Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
            He is coming this year, correct? He signed his NLI.
            Yes, although I've learned nothing is ever for certain until they hit the ice in the fall. They could agree to push him back a year for example. Zero reason to think he isn't coming though.

Spring signing period opens up next week, so we can all start the watch for at least one F to sign for fall. Most seem to think it will be Brock Caufield, who's having a nice year (17g-21a-38p) although some places have him as coming in '19. Wouldn't mind being surprised with something exciting.
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodhotter View Post
              That's awesome. Really happy for him. He's had a great year except for a rough March. Bounced back and was USHL Goalie of the week last week though. Congrats to Matt.
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Ugly attendance data for UW hockey:

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/c...8a1c11a57.html

To be fair, bouncy ball was down too. It's probably never going to get back to what it was in 2006 - 2010.
                Random thoughts on tickets...

I understand if someone eats 4 women's tickets that cost a grand total of $20, but to eat 4 tickets that are pushing a hundo for a men's game is just crazy from an economics standpoint. The disposable income of the people in the Madison Metro area is just crazy to whizz a hundo or hundos down the toilet and not really care. There are many ways to try and get them into people's hands who want to go to games.

It makes me irritated that I'm sitting in the 3rd tier when there are literally 1000's of better seats bought and just left empty. UW needs to come up with a system to move people down into the lower tiers. Makes for a better atmosphere and happier attendees.

I'd love to see how many games are eaten per ticket holder.

Maybe they can adjust the ticket prices for season tickets based on how many games worth of tickets you eat; the more you eat, the higher the ticket price.
                Last edited by Timothy A; 04-04-2018, 12:47 PM.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Super happy for him and best wishes to all former players who have gone elsewhere to play for whatever reason.

Comment

I'm happy for the guy. He kind of got the shaft a little bit and hope he is successful at Tech.

Comment

I'm happy for the guy. He kind of got the shaft a little bit and hope he is successful at Tech.
                      except for the weekend when MTU comes to Madison...

Comment

In general and not necessarily related to Matty's deal, I don't like when universities yank the rug out of players like that, whether it's a promised scholarship or one you already have. If a current player gets cut by a team, they should get to play right way and not have to sit out a year. Universities should have to honor their commitments.

Of course in retrospect, had Matt stuck it out, he'd have ended up being the starter, but no one could have imagined how the deal actually played out.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          In general and not necessarily related to Matty's deal, I don't like when universities yank the rug out of players like that, whether it's a promised scholarship or one you already have. If a current player gets cut by a team, they should get to play right way and not have to sit out a year. Universities should have to honor their commitments.

Of course in retrospect, had Matt stuck it out, he'd have ended up being the starter, but no one could have imagined how the deal actually played out.
                          I can't imagine how that would work logistically. How often is it actually shown that a school is pulling back a scholarship vs "suggesting" to a player that they might not have the opportunities for playing time and that the player could be better served by another school.

Did UW actually tell Matt that they were not going to offer him a scholarship? Or did Matt see the writing on the wall and realize that he wasn't going to get the playing time and made the decision to leave?

With that being said, I recall a push in recent years for schools to honor the full 4 years of a typical enrollment for athletes. Not sure what traction that got. I think I heard about some former UW Football players who had left the team for whatever reason and were still getting their tuition covered.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                            I can't imagine how that would work logistically. How often is it actually shown that a school is pulling back a scholarship vs "suggesting" to a player that they might not have the opportunities for playing time and that the player could be better served by another school.

Did UW actually tell Matt that they were not going to offer him a scholarship? Or did Matt see the writing on the wall and realize that he wasn't going to get the playing time and made the decision to leave?

With that being said, I recall a push in recent years for schools to honor the full 4 years of a typical enrollment for athletes. Not sure what traction that got. I think I heard about some former UW Football players who had left the team for whatever reason and were still getting their tuition covered.
                            Some schools have committed to giving 4 year scholarships now, but most people haven't realized until recently, if at all, that scholarships aren't "4-year rides". Schools and players have to agree on another deal each year.

With Matt, he'd had some injuries, Berry had taken over the net, and once they knew Hayton was coming, it seems as though there was probably some mutual understanding that Matt might not see the net much, if at all. Could have stayed, maybe red-shirted, maybe burned another year of eligibility... Seems like it was a logical choice to go back to the USHL with Luke Strand, play 50 games, and work for the opportunity he now has.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• NHL playoffs are about to begin. Are all ye Hawks fans alright?

Comment

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                                NHL playoffs are about to begin. Are all ye Hawks fans alright?
                                I'm an Islanders fan. What is this word that you refer to? Play... what?
                                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Working...
                                X